Wednesday, July 29, 2015

TNR And "Death By Attrition" The Truth

I spent the afternoon talking with someone I really care about, and respect, we are on different paths when it comes to re-abandoning cats... However,. she ended up saying, "gosh it looks good on paper.. but I'd never considered beyond the feed and neuter part"..
And most people don't... even I say " unassisted death" because the truth is something I deal with on a daily basis, and sometimes " Oreo just needs a break"... but to the average cat owner, who loves the cat, takes it to the vet, and when the time comes has it put to sleep, or euthanized, relieved of it's suffering, the loving owner does that.. These cats are ownerless and they deserve better than to have their death " just go away, you know, it's attrition" Well it isn't humane attrition, and I am going to call bullshit every time I hear that stupid phrase. An undocumented death is still a death. When the ACO's pick up ear tipped cats off the roadway ( usually they are left for carrion at the side of the road ) it's not tracked, so we don't have "death by vehicle" obituaries for Feral Cats. When the cat dies under a bush with FIV or organ failure, it is not documented, so another uncounted " death by attrition"  When the cat is poisoned or shot, it's unowned and undocumentd., it's uncounted........ These feral cat lives matter, and they deserve to die with the same dignity we would offer any of the felid species .....There is no other domestic animal that we allow to starve and die of disease,  And then they pat each other on the back that they have " saved them" all they have done is trade a humane death for a " death by attrition' the cat is still going to die... Only their way it will suffer and die alone in agony, If that seems humane to you ... talk to a vet, ask them how the disease kills the animal slowly.........ask them if in good conscience they would let " your" cat die that way, Would you let YOUR cat die that kind of death. i thought I would write this because the topic is under discussion in the City of Sparks and some people really don't think " attrition" all the way through. Drop the " wild" crap, Cats fear, they suffer, they die. Your cat could end up in a colony just by being a free roaming cat....Here's what the TNR Orinance that was passed, says:
“Feral Cat Colony” means a group of cats that congregates, more or less, together as a unit. Although not every cat in a feral cat colony may be feral, any non-feral cats that congregate with a colony shall be deemed to be a part of it."

This is illegal, cruel and a threat to all owned pets, that may never leave 
their own yard....... Please consider these cats" end of life experience."
This is no way to die.
It's called attrition 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog post. Agree 100%. The general public has no idea how horrific this is.

Gail said...

This is the best blog I've read on the subject. I am 100% in agreement. Thank you for posting this.

Happy Camper said...

Thank you, it's been widley shared and I hope to make people think....... not gross them out, but think.....

Happy Camper said...

My word, Could you fill us in on " natural causes"..... there are no "Natural Causes" all death is caused by organ failure, either through trauma , hit by car, or just plain failure.. they are all painful. There is no hospice for kitties, and you are not there when they die so shut the hell up until you have some medical training. Fools like you cause cats to suffer, and in your own arrogance you praise yourself for the misery you cause... Talk to a vet, I'm sure your cats get really great routine vet care, I know the vet clinic I worked in saw ' hundreds " of ferals every week, really, you believe the crap you spew....What do you think the snow shovel in on the AC truck for.... it's there to scoop up your well loved ferals. disgusting.

Anonymous said...

Excellent article. It amazes me that people believe dying like most of these cats do is more humane than humane euthanasia.

Happy Camper said...

Of course Oreo and Happy Camper are the same, you must be the only one on the internet to make such a stunning assessment. You are a catfeeder, a bearer of pain and suffering to innocent cats. I frankly could care less what any catfeeder thinks of me or my work or writings, BTW I think in your earlier comment you may have meant " allude" not elude, correct me if I'm wrong. Go feed a cat dear, feel good and remember the end of life experience you put them through, and yes . I hope you talk to a vet.

Unknown said...

TNR is the ultimate cruelty, used by lazy people who like to think of themselves as rescuers. Rescue means taking them in from the cold, working with them, not leaving them to the devices of the world. Cars, neighborhood punks, coyotes, cougars love TNR, it provides entertainment and food.