Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Turn, Turn , Turn,.... A Time For Every Season.....


Under Heaven..
Perhaps the tides are coming our way and the animals will find a new peace along with their new Dog Park !! A big thank you to a man who quietly gives so much to this community. Generosity is born in the heart and blossoms into the world around us.
We have been so busy with practical matters we have hardly had time to stop and mark the roses ( doggie joke ) Puppy and Kitten season is upon us, and all the cute puppies that people want to take home " forever" are arriving at the shelters already. We know all to well the obstacles we face. They grow, they chew, they leak and they bark all night, they come back to the shelter.
That's the problem, we all know that, anybody got a solution ? As you can tell from her pic, Oreo is weary of it already. She has had puppies chasing her all her life, chewing her ears and hanging on to her tail, and she has never been in season or given birth. For most of her life Oreo has sought out lonely pups, she teaches them doggie manners, how to interact with others & where to piddle . Oreo is a doggie version of a foster Mom. There are so many pups being pulled from the Mom dog before they can learn dogspeak, they come into shelters and start off disadvantaged because they haven't learned basic body language skills. The kind they learn from other dogs. When Oreo lifts that lip, even the rowdiest pup settles down, next she teaches them play moves, how to bow, when to submit. I don't believe all dogs have the interest or the patience, but if you have a dog with these skills could you consider helping a pup taken to soon from its Mom ?
This doesn't mean a puppy comes into your home and abuses your dog, that doesn't help the puppy and will tick off your dog, but slow introduction and a willingness to be there during the initial stages will build success. If there is an interest in learning more on how to do this, put up a post and I will expand. Oreo is retiring this year, her spirit is willing, but she has so many health issues , I need to protect her from herself. I don't get so concerned about litters that come in together, but the orphan lone pup has nobody to learn from. Check with your animal services agency, breeders quite often put the last unsold pup in the overnight box. I understand the frustration and I know many of these fostered pups may not find a forever home, but we can greatly inprove their chances, and this moment in their lives. Oreo, thanks you...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading this blog for awhile, but this is the first time I wanted to post. What a good idea if your dog is willing, it is a small step but it may help. The Placebo of No Kill was very good too, but I get to mad to write about it. Good for you Oreo, and don't stop your writng career.

Anonymous said...

We relocated here from Sac and now that we are getting settled we are thinking a puppy would be good for Lucy our old girl, she misses the neighbor dog . We both work and have fears about leaving a puppy alone all day. Our vet in Sac recomended this blog and we have been following it for a while now pending our house selling. We had never thought about her being a foster mom. I am not sure about where to look yet, I think the SPCA . So you have any opinions or ideas?

Happy Camper said...

Welcome to Reno, I would suggest going to the Washoe County Regional Services and putting in a foster application. I think you do that through Cindy Sabatoni, but call 353-8900 and they will point you in the right direction. since NHS brags they have 1700 volunteers and 585 foster homes I think the pound would be more in need. You do get to place your own puppy that way, and you are responsible for vet bills so be aware of that. The advantage is you get to be a part of picking the new home, but you become legally responsible for all vet bills. Good luck, I think I have seen you in the sphere..