Friday, April 18, 2008

Does Oreo Have An Agenda ?..Hellooo ......

Reading her mission statement gets it out there pretty clearly. Sometimes the ideas seem contradtictory if you don't follow the whole blog, so hang in there. We have tried to keep bad vs good from the conversation, it really is about what is fair and will work in the long haul. Not personal agendas, or an attack mission, a straightforeward honest opinion. Hurling insults at a shelter only hurts the animals stuck there, but, being honest about shelter conditions is imperative if we ever hope to gain cooperation from the public and get the funding and volunteers we need. Telling the truth is not defamation, if it is the truth, get it out there.....
If all the Director puts out is spin, the public will buy it because it suits their comfort zone. It is easier to look through the rosy glasses. I have lost all respect for this current non profit shelter director, I went in with an open mind and she slammed it in my face. But life has taught me that people can and sometimes will change, like a lump of coal under pressure it rises above its humble origins. The pattern of this Director is to never answer a question, spin and smoke and mirrors. If a direct question regarding numbers is asked, which has happened, the answer is dodged. How many animals were euthanized at the No Kill facility on Longley Lane during the months of February and March 2008 ? The director was quoted as saying a "few" I am not in favor of No Kill as it is currently being implemented, it won't work; you can intimidate employees, and that does happen, but you can't change the facts.
This system is based totally on saturation of the community. When everyone who can squeeze a dog or cat somewhere is full, the party is over. The December 2007 and January 2008 numbers were running between 178 & 202 a day for dogs in the No Kill, when the new dog manager came on board in Febuary the dogs were at about 170-175 per day. with in two weeks they began to plunge, yet the intakes stayed the same generally. Once the word leaked out that animals were being destroyed the intake numbers slowed a little. The reason given on the pet dog blog was, a re- evaluation determined some aggression issues. The numbers held steady at about 150 for a week or so and now they are creeping up again. It is not even the puppy season yet.
If mistakes have been made, and they are now being rectified, say so and move on, but the numbers were out there on Petharbor.com, If there is not a revamping of of how animals are evaluated and kept on the No Kill side, we will have another purge in 7 months...keeping an animal confined without reason or hope is not what No Kill should be about.
That's what Oreo said. Her agenda is the humane compassionate care of the animals entrusted to a public intake facility, and sometimes the most compassionate path is the most difficult. She doesn't pretend to be no kill and by gosh nobody should be forced to. It is a wonderful dream that we will come to our senses and stop the sources of overpopulation, but there will always be a need to be fair and make tough choices. Saving a 20 year old cat with heroic measures while young healthy cats are put down is rediculous, spaying 2 pound kittens is irresponsible. I understand the reason behind it, but there is a better way and perhaps I will write about it later.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oreo said what many of us think, this is a backwards deal. I came over here from another blog, you have a link for it, If the reader hasn't gone there they should. It is Indy.Org. The Bay area news.
My personal thought for mispent funds is TNR, once again we have the healthy adoptable being put down for the homeless. why do you act like there is a home for every animal people ? There is not ! I am sorry any animal has to be put down, but why are we treating the sick and killing the healthy. we know there are not enough homes , so work with the animals that at least stand a chance for God's sake.

Happy Camper said...

Well said Fran, this blog is about helping people get together to find an answer, and we need a place to be open without being flamed. Oreo said no flaming would ever occur on her watch so we are safe.
We do get a bit of garbage now and then, but it doesn't get a platform. Disagreement is healthy but the No Kill folks just get mean and that solves nothing. The answer is nueter more and breed less, period. Or like P_ says Don't buy while shelter pets die, except I disagree with that. If you want to buy a dog that is your business, just buy responsibly, and work with animals at a shelter if you have time in your life and space in your heart. There are many, many reasons a shelter dog may not fit in someones life, there are not a lot of homes where a mature second pet will work. There are cases of elderly people who can't have a large untrained dog bouncing through the house knocking them over..or homes with small children.lets keep an open mind here. As has been addressed in other blogs, cherry picking is hurting the shelters leaving only large older dogs in many cases. I would love to see a "Senior Match up " group started. I did one back in Florida and it was great, a lot of work but great.

Truckee River Labs said...

Camper keep up the good work ! I haven't been in town much lately so got caught up on stuff and checked on Oreo. Is NHS cleaning up it's act ? That would be great, maybe the new dog manager is more of a realist. We could take a puppy from the pound to foster, Oreo's story is amazing. I have to find out how to sign up and if I take the dog, can I place it or does it go back through NHS ? I really don't want to work with them.

Anonymous said...

Why do you think 2 pounds is to little to spay? My veterinarian says 6 months is best for the going under part, he won't do before the organs are all working right. Could they be fostered for a few months ? That would make sense.

Anonymous said...

Where is the laws to stop the puppy mills? Should the pet stores be regulated and told where to buy their stock from ? My dogs came from the shelter and it has been very hard, don't these people having all these puppies think about where they are ending up? Every other dog I see is a pitbull and now I have two and didn't even know what I adopted, lab cross was all it said on the card. they are here for life, but I will stick with a puppy from now on and I agree the person doing the adopting needs to learn more about what they want.

Anonymous said...

Buying a dog for any reason is wrong. Everyone should have to take at least one dog from the shelter until this no kill gets working. It will take time, but if every person in this county took a dog from the humane society we could do it. Adopt a dog and be part of the no kill solution!

Anonymous said...

Everyone adopt a dog ? That is a little over the top. When did your goal become my responsibility Mark ? I took two dogs and if someone had not stepped in to help me, I would have taken them back. They were labeled wrong, have all sorts of issues and a retired professional trainer is working with me about 4 hours a week at no charge. Not one person in our circle of friends would ever adopt after this, so the shelters need to be more careful in what they adopt out. We are making progress, but come on; how many people have a trainer and time for this stuff ? I am a stay at home Mom so we can do this, but no way if I worked would these dogs have been able to stay here.

Happy Camper said...

Hi Jean,
I am glad you still have those boys. I know it has been hard and we appreciate your sharing the trials and tribulations of getting adjusted. Oreo hopes your friends give NHS another chance; not every adoption is as tough as what you have gone through.
I know they did change dog managers and perhaps your timing was such that you got caught in the middle. Music Man did you get a puppy ? I never want to encourage anyone to get a pet if it isn't their idea. All pets take time and money and comittment,but you get much more in return. Down the street the same people are on about their fourth Lab, they are the type that keep shelters full. Get a puppy, toss it out back, let it become a big unmanagable dog and take it to the shelter. I hope someone as sweet as Jean gets one of their castoffs; because it will be a lot of work. Keep us posted on the progress Jean, I know from your emails that you have grown very attached to the dogs and I am sure it will work out.

Anonymous said...

So far I am enjoying Reno, it is windy though. We took Lucy to park by our house, met some nice people with a pair of Goldens, and we talked about animals . There are a lot of good animal people up here, not surprising though, everyone has been friendly.
Last night I went to another site the tnrreality site that was on here somewhere, and it doesn't sound good to me either Fran. We don't try to tame the squirrels and when you set up colonies you draw more than just the cats. I would not want to live next door to one. It would drive Lucy crazy, and my wife. Spaying is the way to go for population, stop making babies.

Cole David said...

The term comapssionate community is more what I would like to see. We need to factor in how these animals live as well as how long they live. This is a good site; I found you on Indy.org. You need to advertise where you are .