Friday, April 4, 2008

About the Emperor

The story below was a childhood favorite, even as a little tyke I got the drift. It is hard to con an honest man.
Pictured is a lovely fella, found in traffic, I am not posting his name out of respect for his owner; he was mentioned in a previous post and he was not transferred to NHS because of all the Pitbulls that had established residence there for so long. When you run at capacity there is no margin for a dog that has an owner who may be on vacation, or out of town for a funeral. I visited him and was there the day he was euthanized. He was glad to see me and took the treats offered. I know the staff and know that he was given love till the very end. Even on the last day, staff drove to the home of the owner and the post was still up. Sad things happen, every day, in sheltering. We certainly don't need a mercenary at the helm.
On a happier note the lady with the pit's ( Purebreed's post ) has found some help in her area; and the dogs are doing better. It is a concentrated effort and she stated the only driving force was she didn't want to take them back to the no kill shelter to have them and some one else go through this again. This pic was taken at the shelter and I Photoshopped out the chain link , this is how I wanted to remember this special guy. He had been kept beyond his stray period since he had tags, but shortly after this was taken, he was gone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a good job, I can see how he must have been meant to be.
It is sad how he ended up. It is also appropriate that his picture was selected for the story, since this breed suffers more than any other at the hands of No Kill. They cannot kennel well. Self mutilation loss of hope, this is just not a breed that adapts to life in a shelter.

Anonymous said...

Hello, that looks like Digger. I will show him the picture :)
The trainer? said to walk past the dogs when I came home, like I had not been gone. Open the pen and continue on. It is hard to do when they are jumping, but it is working, no treats, stay calm and keep walking into the house. This woman is a geriatric dog whisperer, her calm makes me calm and the dogs are calm. Neighbors are cooperationg as long as I am only gone 10 minutes, but today for the first time they didn't bark until I walked into the back yard. I don't think I will ever adopt a grown dog again, but with her help we should be able to keep these two.

Friends Administrator said...

Cool, Jeannie. I did the same with my big boy, Bruiser, because he had a little separation anxiety and it worked on him.

Truckee River Labs said...

We have had a bad run in with a pit, it was playing at the park and then turned from play to rage. I don't blame the dog; I blame the owner. He was fostering it from a shelter, knew nothing about it, and brought it to the park to learn. It learned and so did the lab.