Miss Priss wanted to let her readers know the Memphis Edition of the Commercial Appeal has gone behind the paywall. We hope all of our Memphian friends will continue to drop by and we will keep you as up to date at we can. The paywall was not a total surprise, but a bit of notification would have helped community relations.You can see as Priss lounges with her breakfast, readers and clearly, a Prissed Off expression that she was caught off guard. She was a big fan of Prissed Off and may be going through withdrawals.
We would like to thank the Commercial Appeal for their continued interest and support of the Memphis Animal Shelter, all of the good work you have done, has indeed, helped the animals. The editorial piece about the dirty laundry was out of character and unfortunate in it's lack of even editiorial research. . Oh my word, dear readers, just think of the YB crowd, no webcams, no CA comments, they may be forced to physically take up helping animals...
I really don't care for Miss Priss in those gold frames, she has a pair of Tortise Shell that bring her IQ to the fore, but it's her decision, I am only the typist.

15 comments:
There are no free days at all. Bye to Sugar Bear and Georgia Bear. Patience Prissed off, I hope ya'll come over here from time to time. MeanJean would not be at all comfortable here. Just sayin'
Thank you for all the help as well Miss Priss. I have had to take a mental vacation from this whole situation. To be honest, I come from this whole situation a little bit differently. I only stepped into it in the past few months when I had tried to start getting involved.
I am only one person, while not wealthy by any standards, I do have discretionary income, some spare time, and a husband (the only two legged person I share my home with) who does not question our means when I bring a new 4-legged baby home. I have yet to find a shelter/"rescue" in the area that I will give my time or money to. Not all are completely bad, but so few are completely good. The NK folks have infiltrated so manygroups in this area, and 1 in a group is too much for me to handle. Those that say the NKM does not prevent good people from getting involved in helping pets are wrong. Case and point--me.
There are so many contradictions in the constant diatribe of rhetoric.
Problem: Dog fighting and MAS
NK Solution: Adopt out more pit bulls. Let it be easier to volunteer. Don't make it so hard to get the feral/aggressive dogs out of the shelter!
Problem: Proper care & health of animals.
NK solution: Adopt out sick/problem animals and follow "our" cheaper methods of treating dogs. Don't listen to your vet, he just wants to make more money!
Problem: Workers are not following rules/protocols.
NK solution: Let us get in there. If we are breaking rules, it is only because they are stupid rules & we will make up our own that suit us per situation.
Problem: Not enough people speak up about animal welfare!
NK Solution: Shut up, unless you agree with every point we make!
Just to reinforce the nerd that I am, let me make one last statement. Never in my life have I seen such naval gazing (and I have seen more than my share). In your free time, look up Plato's Allegory of the Cave. Apply the concepts here at will!
I will see y'all around. I am hoping maybe to invite YB on down to the area around the second week of May. I will plan to meet up with her on Riverside. Maybe we could get her in a's a guest judge...I'm thinking whole hog would suffice to make her head explode!
Dear Georgoa Bear, so wonderful to see you over coffee this morn .. Did you notice Priss living in the lap of luxury ?
I certainly respect your need to pull back and regroup, we all must at times or we become bitter fruit/ Oreo and I started fighting for our shelter in 2006, and very quickly former victims fell in beside us.
You made so many wonderful points this morn, I know we have lots of Memphis readers I am glad they have found us and will see your work. Right after our hostile take over, Philly fell with a bang, but by then NHS which is our county partner had been ruined. All the wildlife and humane services gone, mooching basic supplies off the county. We fianlly lost our wonderful AC Director due to a hostile work envirionment and still our commission turned it's head. I hate to say that now, because they have seen the danger and come to the front. But it took 4 years of hell. I know our commissioners. and many of them I campaigned for, they are not bad people, but they were not prepared for how bad these people can be. I think the word that needs to be conveyed is that the NK people will stop at nothing to take over a buiding, they never go for old ones, I'm sure your new shelter brought them to your neck of the woods.
NK absolutely stops decent people from helping animals, on many levels. One by constantly lower the standards of what is adoptable, a lot of really nasty dogs are getting put out and it's hurting all shelter aniamls. One of our readers volunteers at the hell hole and he said everytime he walks through the dog area he feels hopeless. These aren't
" pets" on the sense that YB uses the term. The fact is most of the very pathetic and frightened animals being seen drug to euthanasia will probably be, for the first time ever, held with caring. The drag pictures are for reaction from a public that doesn't understand animal behavior. Most of these dogs have had tragic life, so they do expect the worst, not from MAS, but from life in general. They are coming on your shelter hard now girl, dig in anf fight for the animals who can find a permanent home. I believe our shelter will recover now, and the Nevada Humanane Society released a video showing an appalling number of cats, but carfully did not take you'all to the back of the house. I anticipate they will be brought into complieance with state law soon and maybe our animals will again find perce.
The coffee conversation is good for the soul this morning. While I do not live in the city limits of Memphis (a neighboring county), I do understand that what effects the city effects me. It is not "Memphis's" problem, it is mine as well. What happens there is contstantly getting through the imaginary fence some people like to think exists around big cities & their problems. No fear though, I will be here long after others have moved on to greener pastures. I did not flee the city of Memphis, I just live where roots of 7 generations have grown strong. Lot's of comments have flown around that people in the south do not value their animals in the same light as other areas (and this said while looking down one's nose). I cannot speak for everyone here, but I would say my opinion is common. I do not value every animal life in the same fashion. To say I do would be a lie. There are animals for service, and there are pets. My dog is my pet. My diner every night consists of an animal that has provided me a service (whether that animal is killed by my husband or bought at the grocery store). Wild animals, while they may look cute and cuddly, are not pets. To try to make one a pet is cruel, no matter how big your heart is! Pets are part if our family, and one rule in my family is not harm another member. Aggressive dogs/bitters are not welcome on 2 or 4 legs. We tried to adopt an unknown bitter from a shelter, he was promptly returned. I was made to feel like a villain by the staff there (not MAS) and the rescue group involved. I have been told by (my favorite term used in a tone similar to PHd) "people who have been in rescue for years" that I am obviously not an animal person and to choose something else to advocate for. Until those HERE realize we need the people in East Memphis and the people in Orange Mound, the people at Bellvue Baptist and the "MidTown" crowd, the vegans and the duck hunters--all of us that do not want harm to come to pets--we will never "achieve" any status for the animal shelter.
I will get off my soap box! I did notice Miss Priss living high on the hog. I have two at home who are living a similar life. Their grandfather has started remarking about the fat rolls starting to show on one (but in a good way, because when he showed up at the farm you could count his ribs). They are getting their Christmas lists together. Is there anything Miss Priss is hoping to find under the tree this year?
@southern Belle
I won't be leaving. I live in Memphis. Y'all are stuck with me.
I think we might lose the first round, but gain some troops for the next.
@georgiabear thanks for all you do.
someday I'd like to meet you guys -FUR REAL. SRSLY.
Updates from readers say the Commercial Appeal with be open of another week approx. Also a note from some former posters who deactivated their account. That was due to the paywall make the account inaccessible yet ripe for someone to hack. Thanks for the heads up on that one. After Chaps last go round with Sugar bear she is probably doing the happy dance.
Of course fighting seems to be the best form of communicattion for the NK types. Have ya'll read Mike Starks " How to communicate with Natan Winograd, worth a google.
I don't plan to leave either although dealing with the YBers and NK folks makes me want to quit more days than not. I'm a contingency planner in my work life, and as such I have to be able to look at the big picture (objectively) and figure out where the holes (or potential points of failure) are. That tends to get me labeled as always defending MAS.
@georgiabear, I understand what you are saying about shelter/rescues not being completely good, and I'm not sure you'd find one anywhere that is if you dig deep enough. I run a breed rescue, and I see issues sometimes with what we do ... not issues that would make us "bad", but things that could be done better. I also see things that my group and the groups we work with do that might seem odd to someone not intimately familiar with the details.
@patience - it would be great if we could all meet. It's likely that many of us have met and just don't know it.
I don't know a legitimate rescue group in this area that is not struggling right now, and I hope that all of our supporters wherever they are will find a way to stick around. The CA temporarily put the paywall up once already, so maybe they'll still back off again.
Oreo's place is open to people from all over the country, Chap will also stay open and welcomes anyone who wants to use his place for meeting to come on over... Oreo was not formed to be controversial, but she is receptive to people who can be. All we ask is keep a civil tongue. We are very opinionated here and having lived with a major No Kill shelter for about 3 years we know the ropes. They are slippery as hell. It sounds like you all are similar to our existing group, bright, hard working, and passionate about animals. I must admit I did shutter to think of where we could all meet when the CA wall went up. If it's any comfort all around the country they goup and in about 3 months when readership drops, so does the advertiaing revenue and the walls come tumbling down. Not wishing the CA harm, just saying that has been the national trend.
@Suburbangirl, you're right each of us has our own little way we swing in the wind, and that is respected here. I hope you guys can make your voices as heard in Memphis as we did here, even if it did seem to take forever. the long part is ahead for us, trying to rebuild the damage and regain the faith the public had in our agencys. Money is tight and best spent on animals that may find a home. Everytime I check out YB and see them prancing over their one or two " hard to place" dogs, out of 15,0000 I want to put my finger down my throat. Hello to Batton Rouge, we are still thinkin of you and I'm glad the small amount I could send did help.. For others on this blog, it costs NK nothing to come in and tear up your shelter it will take some time to get it back. Reno now has no Wildlife, no Humane Officers to enforce state law, no grooming area to keep the animals ready to place and show off as best we can, we have an 15 million dollar adoption center with a " Maddies Adoption Center" sign in the front lobby. I will say this straight up. Maddies Fund contributed nothing to Washoe County, it proppedup a failing NHS
@suburban girl....could you give the names of maybe three rescue groups in the area (slip your group in somewhere if you like:) that you think do what you would qualify as a whole-hearted good job --maybe not the best, but sure try-- in the mid-south area? I am trying to finalize my shopping lists for Christmas, and I would love to find a group that could use donations (money or items). As we (my husband & I) have not been blessed children yet, I like to try to spread the cheer on to those who are already strapped as it is. I hope my experience is not common place, but I have been told that if I really wanted to help I would foster or adopt--which I am sure is in need, but what charity doesn't take money when offered! I'm sure there are rescues in need of "doggie staples", but at this point I'm tired of searching! I am trying to find maybe an item or wish list FoMAS has so I could donate that way(and I feel a's though they could use even the smallest of holiday, or any kind of, cheer! Thank you for your help!
It's wonderful to get the sprit going, but do remember readers, the YB trolls do come here every so often :0
If someone would care to send a not for publication with a list of rescues in that area I could put that over to the side with
" Oreo's Recomended reading" That way none of you get tagged as having a favorite..just an offer. We don't do chip ins, but I am happy to work a name in. It would be good to help the rescues this time of year.
See, this is why you are a good person for advice. I was trying to give cover with 3 names, your idea is the better one!!
If you send a rescue url, with a couple of items,I will put them in the box to the right , I could switch form week to week for fairness....
A happy Thanksgiving to all. I am very thankful that I found all of you.
patience
Intructions for getting on the Wish List..shown at the right of the page.
Same as any comment, at the top write
" submit for Wish Lish "
I will take it from there and put it in the widget to the right which is just above our " leave a message thing...... let us know if this helps,
Priss and Burley
Post a Comment