Thursday, November 10, 2011

So Much To Share, Where To Begin?

During my journeys to Memphis, I lost track of my duties to Washoe County.  Now through a convoluted mess that only the Nevada Humane Society could perpetrate, we are looking at a hostile take over of our lovely new shelter by them.  In Sac we had a few protesters at different shelters, all with a complaint, but not a plan in sight.  I must say I am thrilled with the coalition of large animal welfare groups that hopefully will be a legal consequence to this insanity. I  don't know how much longer Mr. Winograd can traverse the county disrupting normal services avoiding at least a strong slap on the wrist.  The crazy Aunt in the attic approach will only last so long, ...now back to the Biscuit :)  Oreo said the other night I was benevolent not benign, let us hope I can prove her right.
Oreo sent me an article by Abigail Smith down in Austin, she is a no kill as they come, swears by the 11 steps of wishful thinking.  She was right on target on one issue.  You must ignore the rabble rouser.  They are vexations of the spirit.  They are passing around a picture of a feral dog, caught from a pack and taken, none to gracefully into custody.  It's not a pretty picture of the dog being drug down the hall.......But the snippet of dark film shown from the " sancutary" showing a frightened Mario being bribed with hot dogs is truly pathetic.  At this point in time they have launched a full attack on Memphis Animals Services to draw attention from the fact they failed to get needed paperwork for transporting the dog, and that quite frankly, the dog is doing just what ferals do.  Ferals do not bond with humans, I saw many soldiers trying to americanize street dogs overseas, never worked.  You may get them to tolerate you as a food source, but their heart belongs to the pack and the streets.  Humans are a minor annoyance at best.  I wouldn't lose any sleep over the viral video dreams the dogs "rescuers"  are trying to build.  Only a person not versed in animals would read the films in any way but those of confused people seeking attention.  If it's seems I am deliberately not using the dogs name it's because the name was given solely to give the impression this dog was a pet gone stray and by putting a tag on it, they can milk the public for more. ARNO should have stayed with Katrina animals and not tried to be something they are not.  Mr. Markwell sent them on a fools errand, and they were happy to comply.  Ignore the ravings of madmen, they serve no purpose.
In Christ all hope lives.
Chap

7 comments:

SouthernBelle said...

What are you saying ? Is Reno privatized ? the people at ARno, have gotten very snotty with Memphis and they don't know us or our shelter, but maybe we should get to know there's. I am sick of Memphis being a punching bag and it's tiem to hold them accountable for this crap they are spreading.

patience said...

You are always welcome in Memphis. I really enjoyed your comments. I'm sorry that NHS is showing its fangs again. It never seems to stop, does it? It's like sugar bear said, always an uphill battle. I do hope things get better for both of us soon.

@southernBelle - most of those picking on us don't know us or our shelter. I'm afraid some of them aren't too acquainted with their own. I wonder what the mayor will say at the grand opening next week. Are you going?

kcaccsharon said...

Hi Chap I saw his ravings that he may be trying to circle back to King County. Does anybody know what 27 shelters Ryan Clintion is listing as Open Admission No Kill. there is a list on the the No Kill News, but it's so far out of touch with these shelters that it's useless. The information is very out of date and some never were open admission. I think not giving them any publicity in Washington state is the best move we can make. You do know he is hovering around Sac ? I wish just one jurisdiction would take him to the cleaners.
Lot of good news on Memphis the big HSUS trucks came in and moved the animals to their new home, very exciting stuff. The whole shelter was hosed down and cleaned after the animals were tranferred.

SouthernBelle said...

@Patience, it looks like most of the people picking on MAS are out of state and have no compassion for their own shelters. It could be a case of they are not welcome there too. I did notice some out of state people pulling for MAS though and that is a nice surprise. We need all the help we can get. I saw on some FB page that half these places are not NO Kill they just move the numbers.

They Call Me " Chap" said...

Friendly reminder to the anon comments, we need a moniker or this blog. We don't care who you are really, but the anons are to time consuming and pull away from the continuity.
Thanks,
Chap

patience said...

@SouthernBelle, I imagine some of MAS's out of state supporters have had troubles of their own with NKM. And there do seem to be some people left in the world that 'link and think and link some more' as opposed to just shoveling in whatever they're fed on a link they've just happened on. It is nice to know we're not alone in the world.

As for the numbers, I think the NKE has a hidden factor- a very nice very big 'fudge' factor for hiding the impending failure of a NK shelter. It's always amazed me that the NK people will go absolutely crazy over Memphis' statistics (missing dogs! administrative errors! oh noes!!) and never question those of their own NK shelters. Must be that new math thing.

They Call Me " Chap" said...

I too have noticed when they get very quiet is's not long until they get dropped from the No Kill winners circle. The need for open sharing of data has never been more dire. Honesty in advertising and accounting are rare in the No Kill world, and the spinmasters weave on. The wonder of turning them away through clever marketing schemes must be more than they can stand at times. We all should understand that animals that get left in the field don't count.