Monday, September 28, 2009

The Assessments....

I have been formulating a letter to anyone out there who may give a damn about the loss of our shelter as an AC provider.....

To whom it may be relevant………
I completed my 8th reading of the AHA assessment on WCRAS and the 11th reading of the No Kill Solutions assessment on our public intake facility, NHS.
The thoroughness of the AHA report was impressive, while as usual in his
“ shelter assessments”, Mr. Winograd rambled on about nothing offering little substance for his opinions. His report was hearsay and not documented in any professional sense of the word.
At first glance on the AHA report Mr. St. John and Mitchell Schneider steal the show bemoaning the problems with the “ former Director”. It seems there was something terribly wrong with her, and now that she is gone, the world is once again a soft rosy place to live
. It was a nice snow job on the staffers from AHA who could not or would not realize that, since the WCRAS was in stunning condition, with excellent protocol and “ The Interim Manager” had only had the helm 4 weeks, he had inherited a well-managed agency. WCRAS was still on autopilot from Sabatoni. The current “ Management Team “ all asserted it was so much better with Sabatoni gone and things were much improved…My search was on for areas of improvement which affected the taxpayers or the animals, there was none, as a matter of fact reading the reports shows both lost ground. Management at WCRAS consists of Dan, Mitch and possibly Karen Stark. And the repeatedly mentioned “ issues with the former manager” were at best ambiguous.. The clouding of “issues” was necessary because Sabatoni had maintained a sucessful working relationship with her staff as evidenced in the retention stats. Karen has always exhibited a little rebellious streak; and would clash with Sabatoni from time to time, but she also gossiped madly about NHS so I take Karen Stark with a grain of salt.
Dan and Mitch, however have been on a deliberate mission to malign and replace Sabatoni with Mitch .Schneider. Policy is changing at WCRAS to allow them to be an overflow unit for NHS when they are full. I will be providing annotated copies of the assessments .
This started when NHS began the No Kill rhetoric. I have nothing personal against either Dan or Mitch, as a matter of fact, I had always been attracted to immature, deceptive, manipulative & self absorbed men. Prior to outgrowing my Maternal instincts, anytime some loser would wander out of the shallow end of the gene pool, I would want to drag them to therapy. I don’t want to hurt or help them anymore, just try to stay as far away as possible from the destructive path. AHA is incorporating language to allow NHS to interview prospective WCRAS employees. Since all NHS hiring practices require a commitment to the No Kill philosophy this could seriously tie up hiring practice from the county view point.
I am working on the final annotated draft and will show the areas of concern, I wouldn’t waste my time trying to debunk Dan’s misleading statements to AHA. The condition of the agency and the general state of the employees affirm that it had been set up and managed with professionalism.
Bonney Brown worked with Kris Field of AHA and has started a relationship with her that may bear bitter fruit. The shelter and taxpayer confidence is in grave danger. Mitch traded his loyalty to the county to become a NO KILL star and we need to get this back on track very quickly.
Pictured is Burley Dog waiting for his walk, he understands duty comes first......

14 comments:

volunteer part time said...

I was so happy to get the feed. I was starting to think the Oreo was retired. So you got the assessments ! Can you post them or exerpts from them, what did Winograd say about NHS ? One of the workers at our place said he was coming down to see Tom, don't know if he did. Did it cost a lot to get the records ? I guess you have been reading them and will share as you can. Thanks.

ExPetCop said...

Based on the information you provide in this posting, it would appear that your assessment is accurate regarding Sabotini's management.

Is the Wino assessment a new one; that is different than the one in 2006? If so, what is the point of NHS getting an assessment done by their mentor in no kill. A colossal waste of money.

If NHS and WCAC wanted a truly accurate assessment, they would have the National Animal Control Association do it. Oh wait, that's right NACA did do an evaluation years ago for RAC and it wasn't good. So makes sense that WCAC wouldn't want to chance that happening to them.

It's all a crock meant to be deceptive. What a tangled web we weave..... The County will end up regretting what they have done.

Of course I think no kill is failing on a national level and explains why Wino is looking for new territory Down Under. The guy's got to make a living. He's got a new book coming out to. We all hope that it is the failure that the first one was. I'd be surprised if it isn't a re-hash of the first book. I think Wino is a one trick pony.

Happy Camper said...

Before I forget...NACA was Sabatoni's first choice, but Dan had an absolute COW... so she selected AHA as the next best chance at getting a truthful assessment. I don't know anything about the AC under Reno, except Reno had no appetite to support it and the cop shop hated it. Picture Dan with a badge.
The "new" Winograd assessment was 45 pages and critical of the poorly designed building and a wish list a mile long. He was very critical about the ringworm unit and saying if there were multiple cats in a cage there must be multiple water bowls since the cats were always out of water. I need to get a feeler for how to present his stuff. I'm sure he thinks it is proprietary, but when he gave a copy to WCRAS it became public record...... I will pass it on with great care and fragmented. You would not believe......., he even has the damn thing password protected so you can't share electronically via disc, only pdf in email. Oh, and I think he references you in one area. The commission wanted an assessment from BOTH sides and NHS sure didn't want anyone but their boy and Dan approved it. It was a waste... Down under is where he belongs, way down under with the other demons.

Seattle Sue said...

Good to find you on FB, thanks for the invite. We continue to fight for the Kent Shelter against the forces of evil. Catmom was a loss, but we all stay in touch and fight the good fight. I would love to see the Winograd assessment can you post it or get it to us Seattle fighters. Sharon is still coming through Reno from time to time I will ride down with her and check out your shelter. Nice blog. my old moniker was Darby on Catmom.

Happy Camper said...

Welcome aboard, to be honest I loved Catmom blog, but don't remember all the names.
I need to make a correction. I went over my notes from the meeting with Dan, Jean, Cindy and lil' old me... NACA quit doing it because the cost of insurance was to high, so it was AHA that Dan said BB would never agree to, wonder if that is why Wino is going out of the business.. It would fit with going offshore. He will only eval " selected clients" right...be still my throbbing heart.

ExPetCop said...

Oreo said,"Oh, and I think he references you in one area."

Who "he" referenced who?

Happy Camper said...

sorry for the ambiguity.... I will send an email, it's a privacy thing...mlo

Anonymous said...

I will be in Reno this Saturday, did they hire a new dog manager ? The number two position is not showing as available, but not filled either.
Perhaps NHS ran the ad to appease the assessment and now with typical no kill thinking " wished it away" I'm delighted that Oreo is giving them a thorough going over, you can't prance in and make your self King, waving a wand and changing mandates. I know Reno must feel the disgace that all of his failures have. Stay on course Oreo, would love to see you Saturday. Pet cop is right, you know, it's not been a straight process, they should have both had the same agency & not Mr. Winograd.

Happy Camper said...

Please bring Lady and we can meet at the park. I will leave my guys at home for her comfort. You know the shelter should look better since they just gave away over 200 animals, of course we don't know what they took in......Now right before Halloween they are pushing black pets, they are insane in their marketing.

volunteer part time said...

Does anybody beside me & Shel think it's strange that in the middle of the "black pet promotion" NHS gave away 200 pets. I almost want to make that all caps. One of the workers at Toms said it's against county code, so she pulled it. Oreo when will we see the offerings ? Hugs from Lucy 2 & Riley.

Happy Camper said...

A funny thing I just noticed as I put up volunteer's post.. in the picture, see Oreo in the background? That's how she likes to keep it; in the background, watching.......

Anonymous said...

A brief update from Honesty Helps blog. Doug Rae got the ax, Pray he doesn't come west.
You really must go to the shelter Oreo, it has to be seen first hand to be appreciated. It was good to see you; and thanks for keeping Lady for an hour so I could go over there. There were a few other visitors commenting on the number of pitbulls. We do have the bully's down here, but we don't store them.

Anonymous said...

It has been a war zone up here. They are trying to close Kent, and SHS is yelling for money. Where there is trouble there is no kill. I wish with all my heart that I could take every dog I see, but then I would be the same as the place I was saving them from. Have you seen the Kent Assessments from him? I bet Reno's are the same, all pictures.

Seattle Sue said...

I have been trying to follow your situation down there. Are you all in one building ? Why is there no numbers for intake at the humane society ? does AC take aniamls as well ? a brief explanation would help us keep up with who is doing what. Our humane society just went union so things will be changing up here.