If only all rescues could be this happy.....I am looking for a bright spot in a gloomy situation. As I whipped through all the local shelter / rescues on Petfinder.Com for our Zip Code, I was stunned by the sheer number NOT in rescue. Our valley shows 284 dogs, with 185 of them being at NHS, WARF shows 83, but they're not a shelter and not subject to accurate tail counts. The SPCA had 14 dogs on Petfinder, but the truth is if a rescue pulls from a brick & mortar shelter, the dog still ends up on Petfinder.com. The best way to count tails is Petfinder for your zip and go 50 miles radius. I fear the economy is the villain here, as people struggle to stay afloat donations drop, and the ability to take in extra animals is diminished.Here at Oreo's we had a vet trip the other day for a " wellness check" $150.00 later...... Animals require care, we sure consider ourselves responsible pet folks. Good job, no credit cards, even the damn computer is on dial-up, we consider our pets a responsibility & a first priority, yet here we are, broke. I do believe there are people who have planned well and yet, who could ever anitcipate the depth of decline in the economy. I see less people adopting for the same reason I see less fosters, can't afford it........very sad, Oreo whimpers with sadness.
Pictured are two rescues in the same family, meeting up at a get together

11 comments:
It is a never ending cycle that will only get worse as the economy falters. I really fear that it will be like it was in the south years ago with feral stray dogs roaming the streets looking for a tidbit.
I also have concerns this will keep decent people from being able to alter the family pet as well. I have friends who took in a cat and then found out it was $200. to alter, so they are trying to keep the cat in........Do we know the end of this tale ?
It will be interesting to see how the turn out at Dog Daze will be, might be as many dogs but less donations. Still don't know if I can be free to take our two. I think the newness has worn off on the no kill idea and people are seeing there is more to it than they realized. And there will never be enough fosters. Spouse wants the keyboard.
I know for a fact the rescues and fosters I deal with are hurting. Also as Shel mentioned the dogs are in foster so long because they are really screwed up. This makes the foster family leery of taking another one. There is a 14 year old white German Shepherd at AC that Tom isn't pulling, he always raves about senior dogs, now is his chance. I am starting to think he is as bad as the rest.
Fianancial stress is taking a heavy toll. We are seeing more dogs surrendered for lack of money for medical needs. We are also picking up the mess of some other shelters who are adopting animals that should not be placed and the new owner brings them to a different shelter because they are embarassed. The cats are easier to ignore so tragically they are in worse shape when surrendered. As they hide the cats in corners at a no kill shelter, people do the same thing in their homes. The cat goes under the bed and they don't look until there is an obvious problem.
Lady is about as good as she is going to get I anticipate. It's difficult to manage tyroid if there is any function left at all. When are we going to hear about your assessment ?
I don't know Greta, I called AC today about a horse I am helping to re-home. They are clearly, busy out of their minds. I wonder if management is having troubles ? That was sarcasm.
My Commish gave me a line of bull and now someone else is contacting their's. I was told they wanted to talk to " their stakeholders" well Hello, bite my butt...... it's a county agency and I guess if I am a citizen, then I am a stakeholder.......
Is Oreo going swimming ? Tom is thinking a smaller net take, so you could be right about same dogs less money. I read the Petfolio magazine what a load of misinformation, all Bonney talked about was cats, same with Mitch, guess you can't brag about a couple of hundred pitties hanging out for months. Did anybody else notice the dogs are up to almost 190 and now this dog manager is leaving. Samething as a year ago with Pyle.
I had noticed the numbers were high and knew Marc was outta here, and according to Facebook taking someone with him. However, you are right about the similarites. I am waiting to see how Mr. Larkin follows through now that he sees how the Intake Side is supposed to function.
Bob is a straight shooter, I wouldn't want to cross him though. If he has been made a fool of, heads will roll.
I am confident that he has asked the questions brought up and been fed a line of crap. NHS now has 8 job openings and according to second hand info, over 1000 cats. How long until an outbreak, or as secretive as they are, they could be hiding one. Denise stroll right past my office the other day, made my skin crawl just looking at her. Have a new hire at AC, strange NHS can't get anyone.
Old School, good to know you still have a job; stay low. Look for the latest Pet Folio Magazine, more inaccurate information, Bonney does a big spiel on cats
( would'nt have thought her a catty person ) Sometimes the rage spills out, sorry...... Mitch did a whole story on cats and microchiping and registering. Said he was a former Reno Police Lt. Gosh should we check that out ? I thought he was an ACO who took the field supervisor job and created his own rank, a legend to live up to, in his own mind. I think we need a post on the word
"embrace" whole lot of " embrace going around....
Don't think you will hear a big splash, but will be interesting to see the spin put on it.
Dog Daze
Post a Comment