Friday, December 2, 2011

Welcome ! Memphis Animal Services Grand Opening.


We invite you to join us Saturday, December 3, 2011 for the Grand Opening of the new Memphis Animal Services. Our Grand Opening Ceremony is from 11 - 5
Please feel welcome to bring your camera's and share your pictures with friends. We do request that no flash devices are used, they agitate the animals, and really only give you red eye anyway. Volunteers will be on hand to answer questions on the shelter, and volunteer opportunities.The tour covers the public portion of the building which allows the shelter animals in the rear to remain undisturbed until they are actually available for adoption. We know some folks will want to see more, but the peace and comfort of the animals has to be considered.
We are located at :
2350 Appling City Cove
Memphis, TN 38111
Hope to see you there !!!

12 comments:

SouthernBelle said...

I like it better with the picture up. I am going to try to make it tomorrow. It's a beautiful shelter with mostly caring staff and some that need some motivation but it is ours and we can make it work. I wonder if the far away blogger will send Lou Ann to take pictures. I agree snap away, we have nothing to hide.

patience said...

I like the picture, Oreo. I have my 'hello Kitty' earrings on and I'm ready to go. I hope you make it there, SouthernBelle. I'm looking forward to seeing Lou Ann too. Maybe we can interest her in the goat.

Kevin said...

You guys have a wonderful opening, and I wish those of us from the west coast could be there ! Remember the sound of keyboards clacking is just that, stupid old women with no life who get joy from being wrong, "and damn proud of it" May the Gods of sheltering give them all a trojan and they can just infect each other and take their collective mind off us.

SuburbanGirl said...

Just got back from the grand opening. They were even doing tours of the shelter's vet clinic from 11 til noon. Even having heard about the clinic layout, I was unprepared for how well-equiped it is. There are 4 surgery tables in the surgery suite, wet and dry prep areas out in the main area, separate holding and recovery rooms for dog and cats back there for surgery/treatment, a whole room for diagnostic testing and more. There's also an area behind the clinic where they can hold contagious cats while they are treated. No more having to euthanize cats just because they develop URIs (or other contagious illnesses).

There's been a post or two on other sites about strays being viewable by the public. In addition to the area where "adoption dogs" are held, there is a second area labeled "healthy hold" that houses strays and owner surrenders not yet evaluated for adoptability.

There's a billy goat in the livestock area right now ... the goat was found tied to something ... numerous people want to adopt him, and he's incredibly friendly, but the ordinance change that will permit livestock to be adopted out rather than auctioned as city property has not made through all of the required readings so that the city council can vote. If you're a Memphis resident reading this, please contact your councillor and voice your support for this change (and the other pending animal welfare ordinances).

And yes, Lou Ann, Jan and Ona were all there for the festivities as were two other women who were carrying around a copy of the Rotary report. There was a volunteer taking them around the building, and I have no idea what questions they were asking. Also present were a bunch of city officials, rotary members and news media folks. And of course, there were a lot of people there to look and adopt new pets! The one group I found really under-represented was people from local rescue groups, but it's possible that I just didn't recognize some of them and/or that they have adoption events today.

patience said...

I hope you were there SouthernBelle. Nothing in the CA, nothing on the mayor's page until after the ceremony. The mayor definitely looked liked someone was behind him, stretching his lips into a BIG BIG smile. Not too thrilled to be there, I'd guess. Some of the people showing up to adopt looked a little surprised to see him. The shelter, vols and employees were great.
So was the goat. Very friendly. I got to pet him for awhile.
I hope I saw some of y'all. Jan almost stepped on me once. Quite a thrill.

SouthernBelle said...

I want the goat !! I thought it was a small turnout, but the people who were there were very nice except for the snoops from Biscuit Land USA. Keep up the good work, and maybe I will volunteer too, the volunteers looked like they were having more fun than the Mayor.

Proud to be MAS said...

I thought the Mayor looked like he had a Cob up his you know what. The day was for us, the ones there day in and day out for the animals. Especially the ones we have to PTS. It is not easy to euthanize any animal, but some find the only kind touch they ever felt at MAS. I don't like having to use a catchpole to drag an animal down the hall, but I will continue to do it because it's part of my job. If that offends some people they can come try a better way. Is my job easy, hell no, but it's necessary and I am proud of the work I do, and most of my fellow employees. Mr. Pepper thank you for getting us to see how we could make a difference and do it realistically. Most of the animals we pts are not adoptable, at least not in the average family, it's sad but true. So for all the people who care enough to come down and help the animals, thank you. To the whiners, get a life.

Happy Camper said...

I wish I could have been there, I sent Oreo's spirit......We're lucky if we get 10 people to these things, but I like what the worker said, the party was for you'all. I haven't gone to AC facebook page yet, but he probaby did have a grimace. I don't think being at a shelter in the middle of a Biscuit attack, 3 weeks before Christmas would have been high on my list. I know it's his fault for giving her the time of day, but he has his reasons I'm sure.

patience said...

@proud to be mas - I thought the same thing -maybe the Mayor was trying to use the cob to replace his backbone. Thank you for doing what you do. Those of us who know are proud of you for having the courage to do a job we can't.
@southernbelle- you come out and volunteer. We need all the support we can get!

y'all might want to head over to wmc's website and read the article on the opening. Janet Hooks sent shivers down my spine when I read what she said about hiring a new admin. I just emailed the link to you Oreo.

Joyce said...

I was sent to this blog from a friend, I didn't know about the anonymous rule . I kept looking and finally another friend asked if I had made up a name. Just throw the other comment away if you haven't. Suburban Girl gave a much better report than I had tried to write.
I saw all the do gooders with their clipboards and thought OMG, knock yourself out. I like having a little open space in the front so you don't walk into each other coming in. Before you come in with a dog, and you could bump right into a dog. It felt light and welcoming, I do wish all the areas had a window, but something has to be in the middle I guess.
Wharton did look like a dog on the freeway, but I doubt the shelter is high on his list right now with everything else we have going on. I may volunteer with the dog walkers if there are going to be any at the new shelter. If not I would like to brush dogs and try to make them look more adoptable.
Jeanne seemed very friendly, I kept to myself and tried to figure out who was with who. I didn't see any rescues that I know, but they could have been at events. I looked for the person with the hello kitty earrings, she may have been standing next to the lady from Meows and Bowwows. I wasn't going over there to find out. We need a code word.

Happy Camper said...

Welocme Joyce, nice to have you. I hope you read through the blog a little and get a feel for Miss Priss's domain. She was raised by the GSD " Oreo" who started the blog. I can see where one would be hesitant to rush up to someone you didn't know, it could be a Biscuit :) Welcome aboard.

Spay Neuter Team said...

Shirl Girl ha some flunkies at the opening. Blonde, veganish thin, long horse faces. They had clip boards writing on the Rotary Club Report and filming with their phones. Waiting for their "report". They appeared almost to be clones. Maybe they were from the spaceship that took Shirl up as a child? That is maybe her best poem and explains a lot. Just say'n.

Patience, glad Jan missed you, because if she stepped on you you would be squished!