I think every shelter should have doggie pools, just kidding...The subject of shelter care is a hot button topic in many communities, and a tremendous number of folks have Champagne taste on a beer budget. And, since I am very proud to be an American and I think we do a lot of things right in this country, I think that's okay. I read all the time about the disparities between shelters, and some are truly heartbreaking places to even look at. There are some who demand all shelters be equal whether or not the community can afford them. That hurts our long term goal of continous compassionate care. We need shelters that are sustainable, and provide staff who will treat the animals well, animals don't give a damn about how old the building is. We do care about food, human interaction ( sometimes ) and being clean and dry. I see to many people who think little doggie & kitty bed & breakfasts are somehow superior to other styles. Confinement is confinement is confinement, so lets talk about the human factor. Is my caregiver working in an environment of respect, for themselves as well as me ? Do they understand that sometimes we are broken beyond mending, and will they talk softly as we take our final journey?How about the kitty contingency, they need to walk, not just cuddle, is that need being met ? This time of year every animal blog has a wish list, and the item missing most is "loving care during the interim" Not Kong toys, or Kuranda beds, blankets are nice, but many of us come from the streets and blankets have no meaning, sadly for many of us, toys have no meaning.
But a loving worker can offer us a mild sense of security, safety to reach out and learn to enjoy lifes simple pleasures. Lets do the best we can to keep our critters secure and comfy, and a caring human shelter worker is the only tool needed.
Pictured is Miss Priss in her therapy pool, torn cruciates are serious business.

27 comments:
For my shelter, I'd like to see support from the city and the community to make things better for both the animals and the people who work there. I'd also ask for more people like Proud to be MAS. I hope we find more people like Irked who question and explore,looking for different ways to help the animals.
Most of all, I wish he'd bring all of us the realization that while Kuranda beds are nice, they'll never equal an understanding voice and a pat on the head. Well said, Miss Priss.
Right back at you Patience ! The support of the powers that be cannot be overstressed. An understaffed shelter is a chaotic place to live, so if they keep just enough people on board to care of us, we would appreciate that.
Attention Santa
Kent Shelter needs more volunteers, we lost some due to the economy. Our shelter is old but warm with loving staff, and the volunteers we have are wonderful. We could use some sturdy leashes for our big guys, the nylon slip alongs are hard to hold.
@ the monkey picture. Where is Kent shelter located ? I don't recognize the name. Are you No Kill ?
@ Sharon, the economy has hurt my ability to volunteer in a couple areas. I just don't have the gas. Maybe a carpool option ?
@Changeling, we are in Washington State. We are not No Kill, we are an open admission shelter that takes every animal that comes to our door. Unfortunately many of those animals are not suitable for adoption. We work very hard to place any that we feel have a chance to adapt to a good home. We do believe in rules for adopters and fosters.
Oreo, I hope you are having a good day. Welcome to changeling. I like your name.
Awwwwwwwww
I would like to see the local rescues work harder to make sure they are putting these babies in a good home, not just anywhere. If you are complaining about the people bringing them back why are you giving them to those kind of people ?
I too wish our partner paid attention to where they let these guys go. Some people think any home is better than euthanasia, I have seen to much to believe that.
I haven't personally seen too many poorly screened rescue adoptions (although I do believe it happens regularly), but what I do see frequently is rescuers who will pull dogs for any out-of-area rescue who asks without really checking out the "rescue" even to make sure that they actually place dogs as opposed to just being a middleman that is getting the dogs out for unidentified third parties.
I agree Suburban Girl, Mario is a case that comes to my mind. The business of pulling for third parties, and no destination transports has become very big in some NK shelters and I for one would like to know where these animals end up. Unfortunately in Reno, NHS has so undercut our rescuss by giving away free animals all the time that now many rescues have offered free on Craigslist because they are stuck with animals they have pulled.
@Changeling, I do hear rescue complaints about returns. Sometimes from my view, they have pulled a dog that may be good looking but has serious issues that most people are not going to mess with. To me when I warn a person or rescue that this dog growls at kids walking by, they should know not to put that dog with kids., I would like some more employees for Christmas.
To the NFP who said they would like part of YB's anatomy served to the mayor on plate........Try for more Kong toys :) Also 3 anao's, don't do anon's. Make up a name and please come back.
I want the floor in the puppy room fixed. Also, I want our government to stop chatting with people in SC and NY that have an agenda. I don't give a damn if you live in Nebraska if you have ideas to help our shelter I'm interested, but when the agenda is to sell a consulting service, stay home. Miss Priss you're always welcome.
@ SourthernBelle, there was a picture on YB today of a dirty puppy cage, the attack was awful and I'm pretty sure there was a reason for the condition of the cage. Puppies explode all at once and the dogs themselves looked clean to me. I do want you people to know that even though I followed YB and beleived in Nathan, I was never one of those attackers. That was always a source of embarassment to me and did nothing to help the animals.
I am not able to help at the shelter at this moment, but I can make a donation. I hope whoever took that picture is banned for being a big troublemaker. I'm thinking about a new name, maybe Morphed ?
ps do you guys meet somewhere else I haven't stumbled on yet ? It seems there is a continuation of this conversation that I am missing.
@ Changeling, we also visit different blogs, but I think what you are sensing is our sibling blog. Goggle " they call me Chap" He lives in another state but used to volunteer here.
Considering we go before the BCC on Tuesday to try to keep NHS from cannabalizing us....I would like to have NHS back the way it used to be, with caring staff and sane policies. I do not want the Sheriff to have the option of contracting out services after he gets a salary for one of his commanders. That would be lower than low. @ Changeling, it's good to know you found the appalling, appalling.
I am overtired......I said Goggle ?? duh.
@changeling- a lot of the people on here have been here a long time -I believe they can almost read each others' thoughts by now and that is one reason it sounds as if you're missing some conversation.
I've only been here a few months. I don't believe in NK, but I've been to Yesbiscuit and seen the things they say and do. I think one reason you are here is because you do question things, an ability they sadly lack.
Don't worry about not being able to help at the shelter right now. The fact that you're here helps more than you know.
I enjoy your name changes. It is like watching a caterpillar go into a cocoon and come out a butterfly!
See you over at Chaps.
@changeling - I tried googling for chap and came up empty. It might just be me. But you can google/look on Memphis Flyer article called "Memphis Animal services lowers Euthanasia rate" and the link is on first comment. I hope to see you there.
@ Changeling you can google nokillnoway and find it. The name is scary but the blog isn't.
Dear Santa,
Please loadup your sleigh with spay/neuter dust and fly over our community and change the hearts of those who refuse to be responsible pet owners to their animals. If you could grant this Christmas wish, it would be a blessing to our open admission shelter that takes in any animal, by reducing the amount of unwanted animals that are surrendered on a daily basis.
I want to get the NHS side of our building cleaned up.Some of those animals are breaking down and I would like to see them taken to foster or pts. There are some very frightened animals over there and they have been there for monthss. I guess I want Santa to bring them peace.
I would wish for our shelter to have euthanasia by injection instead of the gas Chamber. I know there are many factors to consider but I am going to work on that in my community.
@ Debbi, if TN can do it, so can your state. Are you the Debbie who used to post on YB?
@ Changeling just not being a part of the problem is a help. I am glad you are here and we all help anyway we can. Don't worry about your limitations.
I have never, never been a biscuit, I have been an Oreo for several months, found her on the CA. I did read YB, but was not a part of that group of harpies.
Post a Comment