I thought only the Beatles believed in running about the countryside in a " Magic Bus" . Now I see they are about to start delivering dogs to unsuspecting children on Christmas morning from the New York Pets Alive " Magic Bus" Any dually addicted blog readers will know I have been on YB again. I thought volunteering in prisons after retirement had introduced me to every 12 step program available. Now I am thinking there may be a need for more. I find myself going through withdrawals from the comments on the Commercial Appeal, and reading YB . I've had the crud for a few days and haven't kept up with my reading. I have taken a pledge to avoid putting garbage on my plate or in my brain, but there I was, a moth to the flame reading the dailey tripe.
Just in case I have any readers so foolish as to think dragging a frightened excited dog to a strange house for a pair of exhuberant children to fawn over, is a grand idea, don't do it ! Please, if you have had a stressful weekend, go read the Magic Bus post, it is a find, a treasure trove of bad ideas, a lifter of spirits. The part where the Magic Bus Driver "whistles back to the bus" for the elf to run to the children with their new dog, I had to call Oreo. The visual of the two small children bearing down on a dog bearing down on them is almost to much. Shirley, of course, thought is was priceless too. I do feel we had differing reasons though. Please, a dog is a living commitment, it's about love and time and work and for the love of the Lord, it's not about Surprises !!
Don't forget the reason for the Season,
Chap
Sunday, December 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Oh Chap, how you do go on about silly things like home checks and matching the animal to the home. I to have started reading YB, although I doubt she would return the courtesy. I am not concerned about her because she is talking to her closest friends and new people don't stay long.
As you know we have had a few "Occupy" types here in the Bay Area; we allow them free access to the public area, and if they create disruptions the other volunteers call the Kraut. I feel no compunction whatsoever about telling them to leave, and take your pictures on the way out the door. Mr. Winograd doesn't even want his name mentioned on her blog. Very quiet these days is Mr. Winograd, very little to say I suppose.
Wasn't that the most inane tripe ? I must say some of the NFP's I've gotten have been colorful, and perhaps right on target. I did note you haven't put up the piece on the Nevada Humane Society being a limited admisson shelter. You must get back to work, it's the first time they have been arrogant enough to put it in writing, we don't want to lose the opportunity. Have you read the Tunica Humane's reporter? I think he is more well spoken than the average YB reader, but I felt his questions were scripted. How could you know to ask about air exchange and think animal waste on rubber matting made sense ? Really strange thought process.
The Pets Alive! article shows once again that the No-Kill Movement takes in sentient beings and packages and sells them just like some cheap merchandise. An animal is not a toy to be discarded when the owner outgrows it or it is broken. It is a commitment that can last many years Oreo has covered this very well on her blog.
YB and some of her commenters talked about how much more meaningful the pet will be when it is a Xmas gift. Well, YB here is my suggestion for meaningful (I do not have kids, love them, love to give them back to their parents even more). Why not wrap a book on dogs/cats and put it under the tree on xmas morning? Tell your child "tomorrow we will go to the shelter and we will pick out your dog". Spend Xmas night as family time, discussing what type of dog, responsibility, rules etc. Then go with your family to the shelter or rescue and let your child find the dog(within limits already set by the family) he or she likes best. You might be surprised what you come home with! But you've not only made your child happy, you've given him a sense of responsibility and ownership for his pet from the very beginning. Do you think that might be a little more meaningful?
Cats are different of course. They choose you. I can't even imagine a cat deigning to get on a 'Magic Bus'. Driving it to help get rid of more dogs, maybe. But riding on it with an ELF! Makes me want to barf a hairball.
I've had more than a few hairballs since reading that. I think your idea is to sane for the YB crowd to every think through, wonderful idea. I do hope the local leaders take this group of malcontents off their email list.
I think patience is on the right track with the Christmas ideas. We have not been blessed with children yet, so I cannot speak from an experienced place about fulfilling a child's Christmas wish with a new puppy. I do know that I was told at a young age that-- "Santa could not bring me something that the elves could not make. A puppy is a life, only God can make life. A puppy is a commitment and work, not just something cute with a bow.". Funny how smart those words sound now looking back. They seemed silly at the time.
Glad to see you back Chap.
Nice to see you as well Georgia Bear. It sounds like a wise opinion from your family. I too like the whole concept of walking the child through the responsibilities and letting them know this is a life, a life that will depend on them for care. Still hacking a bit, but healing.
Post a Comment