Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Stay Focused..

Animals can teach us a great deal if we listen to them. Our prize is a little bigger than a ham sandwich though. We are gearing up for the new year with a new hope. Our shelter will be deployed under a new leadership, and although we are still tied to a very sick partner, there is reason to believe the worst is over.
After the county portion of the shelter running at capacity, and often over, for the past 3 years, and the NHS "partner" is still gluing cats to the ceiling; we are nearing the end of the bubble from Hell. There have been dark times and many days when turning away seemed viable. The first real breakthrough came last summer when the National Animal Care and Control Association held its annual conference in Reno. When those guys took a tour of the shelter and saw what was going on with our " partner" they asked our County staff how they could live next door to that type of hoarding and not cite them for overcrowding and neglect. Mitch didn't care, he was to busy speaking for Winograd and selling No Kill, to work on his own shelter. Reminds me of YB in SC. But staff was charged and ready to get back into the healthy style of sheltering we had known before the Winograd intrusion.
Craigslist is now patrolled by NHS and they quickly squash any unattractive truths that people put up in desperation. One lady who couldn't get them to take her dog for 3 weeks ( soonest appt ) put an ad up on CL.. NHS called her at 7 p.m. about the " misunderstanding" and they could schedule her an " appointment" in 2 days. Nobody here believes they adopted 833 animals in 2 months, even though they give them away for free, there is no market. So for the sake of all the animals trapped over there in cages for years, lets hope we change out fast.








Sweet Sophie, Pit Bull Terrier (Reno, NV)





Date: 2011-08-28, 10:14PM PDT
Reply to: @craigslist.org?subject=Sweet%20Sophie%2C%20Pit%20Bull%20Terrier%20(Reno%2C%20NV)&body=%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Freno.craigslist.org%2Fpet%2F2571114522.html%0A [Errors when replying to ads?]




Sophie has become one of the staff and volunteer favorites at the Nevada Humane Society. Sophie is an adult female Pit Bull Terrier with a heart of gold. She is six years young! She enjoys nothing more than to just be with you. Volunteers have stated that she enjoys her walks but prefers to lay under a shade tree in lush green grass and give affection. She is such a delight to be with, sweet little girl who gives back as much, if not more than you give. Unfortunately, her stay at NHS is taking its toll on her. She paces in her kennel constantly begging for affection and losing weight rapidly! The moment she gets out of her kennel for her walk she immediately calms down and just wants to please you. Please come to NHS, ask to visit with her and you will see how adorable she is.. Her ID is 158534.

The Nevada Humane Society is located at 2825 Longley Lane, Reno, NV 775-856-2000. She will come to you neutered, micro-chipped and vaccinated.
This is not quality of life people, this is inhumane...

15 comments:

Morphed said...

Almost Happy New Year. I hope your prognosis for your shelter is right. I don't believe as long as people like Shirley and her group are spreading untruths that any shelter is safe. Bonney Brown did not strike me as a nice person. I don't think she grows compassion when she walks into the shelter.@ ezbuddy who asked on the Biscuit about how Reno is really, I can only say keep reading. Shirley's answer about the Nevada Humane Society being very open with their numbers is wrong. Those numbers do not match up when you look at the municipal records separately. Also the humane sociecty does NOT do strays and does intake only by appointment. I looked up their 990 and they are not well run, living way beyond their means. Reno is funding their shelter from a special tax not a general fund ( I am not sure how that works ) Memphis comes from the general fund.
I walked my first foster dog today and brushed him a little bit. More tired than I expected.

Happy Camper said...

Happy New Year to all. I got a NFP asking about the addendum to the post. I believe seeing with your own eyes is the best way to make a thoughtful decision. By their own admission animals are suffering in the care of NHS so why would you want to emulate that model ? I have severmore but I copy/pasted them into word documents and they can't be posted. Now I know go straight from the web to the blog. Thanks for putting up with me while I learn. Oreo made this look much easier that it really is.
Sincerely
Miss Priss

Happy Camper said...

Make that " several more " stupid fat Newfie paws.....

SouthernBelle said...

Good for you Morphed, I am thinking about going to MAS and looking around to see if I think I could do it. I'm afraid I would not be able to let go at the end of the day. The info about the perfect example being hyped to us is good stuff. I have been checking some of the other examples NKmemphis and SOS brag about and they all have some type of arrangement with a separate adoption partner, and those partners could never look as good if they had to take every single animal through the door. Looking forward to learning more in the coming year to make MAS a better place with the money we have.

Kevin said...

I thought the blog might like to know that one of Winograds tricks is to have the shelter declare animals it's stuck withas " staff favorites" that is right out of his assesssment. Hide their ages, don't discuss temperment issues, and when all else fails say it's your absolute favorite. Sophie has issues, they may or may not go away if she is placed. they could be why she is here.

Morphed said...

@ SB you should do that. Talking about the post, I guess there are dogs that even walked daily lose adoptability. I do wonder if Sophie was walked or if they had enough people. I read an old post on here that says even if a dog or cat gets 30 minutes a day of handling that is 23 and on half hours confined. That would make any animal go crazy after a long time.
Where is Patience ?

Happy Camper said...

Several folks have asked about Patience, she has traded in her keyboard for a pooper scooper. While we miss her, she shall return when she gets settled down. Even Chap has emailed and made an enquiry. After all we don't want to be like the YB folks and just sit on our keyboards, but we all miss her. Suburban mentioned volunteering as well, so lets just wait for reports back.......

Anonymous said...

Hello and Happy New Year !! I dropped a note over at Chaps, we hope to see him on the way home from Reno. @ Morphed, good to see you returning, have you checked out my blog ? All it contains in intake polices.
Oreo, pardon a slip of the tongue, Miss Priss, could Velvet stay with you for a couple of hours while I go by NHS and do a visual on the dog with the tumor you sent me a picture of ? Email me back as I may be on the road away from the computer. Is the dog on county or NHS side ?
Gret

Happy Camper said...

If you are still there, slip of the tongue indeed. The Rottie was on the County side ? Yes Velvet can visit.

Shel said...

Taking back my old sign in, Spouse misses it :)
I did not see the dog you sent the pictures of, Maybe pts ? Happy New Year to all of our friends. May you find the best shelter director and the healthist critters when you show up for duty. Hello to Gret, I have wondered where you have been, and nice to see our new friends from Memphis. Blessings as the Chap would say.

SuburbanGirl said...

Happy New Year to all of you, and thank you for being a thought-provoking place to visit.

I am still checking in and reading, but this couple of weeks is the busiest of our year at work since our clients like the big changes made while they aren't in the office to be disturbed. Plus some emergency disc surgery right before Christmas for a dog in my care has thrown me a bit off my routine. I haven't even been able to start my volunteering at the shelter yet although I do have a take-home project that needs to be finished by Tuesday.

There's talk again about privatization of MAS, and it worries me. I'll be interested to hear more from those on the scene next week since the media seems to have so much trouble paraphrasing accurately.

Everyone be careful if you're out on the roads tonight.

Happy Camper said...

Hello Suburban Girl and glad you are joining us on this special day.I did read the RFP you folks put out. There are several issues. For starters the maintenance of equipment has to come out of that budget,but it's not included, and would be hard to enforce against the vendor if not written in.
Hate to say it but that's the type of error that some scammer like we partner with would take advantage of. I wish our SOP were available online, but they are not... there was something called that put up by Mitch but it was never completed or approved. Our's list every detail of who does what and NHS still renegged on several contractual responsibilities. A contract is pretty useless if you are dealing with a scoundrel.
Hope your dogs disc surgery goes well, my friends Doxie just had $3,500 worth, but he's great now.
I'm in for the night.don't drive on New Year's Eve. To many people don't realize they are over the limit until they end up in somebody else's radiator..
I spent the morning grooming Burley Dog and at 217 pounds that is a whole lot of dog, I do Miss Priss on the morn. After him she always seems like a walk in the park. We get a brushout every Saturday, and then every 6 weeks we do the full Monty.
Stay on top of the privatzation when you get to the shelter...... They usually have an agenda.

patience said...

Happy New Year to all. And I hope 2012 brings mostly joy to each of you.

@Morphed, I am glad you've found a good niche in rescue. Just remember not to overdo it! We need you. I am glad you are looking at the numbers in Reno. A friend of mine told me that with NKM, one should always follow the money.

@ezbuddy, no matter what you wind up deciding, I'm glad you're looking at as many viewpoints as you can find. There are some good people here too.

@SB-please come down to MAS and see us. It is not always an easy place to work and you will need to learn to let go of it at the end of the day. On the plus side, you will meet some wonderful people there and you will have the chance to be not the "voice of the animals", but a caring touch or a kind word. There are plenty of places to work, both with and without the animals, outside the shelter if it is too much at first.
The shelter needs advocates too.

@suburbangirl-looking forward to your arrival into the fray :)

Happy Camper said...

@ Patience, thanks for the "let go at the end of the day" reminder. Sometimes I need to let go in the middle of the day. I get my ego going and think I have all the answers, and sometimes I don't even know all the questions:)
Our shelter is making some slow changes already with Mitch gone and I have to fight the urge to ride herd or jump rank. One way to get "unliked" at a shelter is to jump rank. Volunteers are not peers to staff, if we have been there longer than a particular staff member,; that's easy to forget. Because I am on speed dial for so many in upper management its easy to fall into inappropriate behavior. As Shirley would say " take the Mayor to lunch" so I'm working on knowing my place and staying in it. I am pushing for us to get a vet hired though. However I am doing that as a concerned citizen not a volunteer. Know thy bounds Miss Priss :)

Sharon said...

Google won't let me log in. I had a wonderful New Years eve, old friends mixed with new family. How is my Velvet girl ? Is Greta taking good care of her ? @ Morphed, none of those people are compassionate, if you expect that you're rescuing the wrong dog. It's a money deal plain & simple. Ever notice they only go where there is a new building ? Oh wait, if they can get a toe hold in you local humane society. Up here we had Barnette who tried to keyhole her way in. This is leading to volunteering, honestly. The other thing they do is load up a batch of NK volunteers to run to the media. Up here we had a few " volunteers" who bad mouthed the shelter, I've noticed the same thing in Memphis. It's a like a rerun of King County. YB is the best source of misinformation and bile I can get with my morning coffee, shame she wasn't on the air when King County was under fire.
Up here we had volunteer against volunteer. If you defended the shelter you were a killing apologist. I swear to God it's easier to get into Oak Ridge than volunteer up here. Volunteers can make or break a shelter.