Friday, August 26, 2011

Tell Me About No Kill Shelters Daddy.....

The understanding of "Staff"  here at Oreo's is even Maddie's Fund is tired of financing the farce.  Yet another group for Winograd to put on his hate list. He is running out of people to "challenge" these days and may soon be facing only his own worst enemy, in the mirror.
We live with a No Kill Nightmare and see the endless parade of free ( soon to be returned ) dogs & cats. Hanging around Craig's list like some lurker on a foggy London night, they beg for homes and materials dragging out the misery of their charges as longs as possible.  Last we saw they were pleading for a "permanent foster home" for some poor pitbull caught in their snare for 3 years.  Doesn't permanent/foster seem a bit at odds to you ?  By their own press releases, the Nevada Humane Society has been running at capacity for 2 years. They produce an endless regurgitation of the same poor animals over and over. The last stop on the spin cycle is Washoe Animal Services where you will be abandoned to die.. So, no little Newf puppy, Daddy would never take you to a No Kill Warehouse. We'll just find a nice spot down by the river til the recession ends. Most people think " humane society" nice place, they'll find a home.....there are not enough homes for all the adoptable animals.  When you add in the animals that should never be placed, it's impossible NHS even has a " purple dot " designation for dogs being handled.  it signifies they are to aggressive for adoption, so why are they being held hostage ?  I am glad Maddie's Fund is rethinking it's priorities, and perhaps someday we can reduce killing without doing more harm than good, offering a quality of life to sustain their spirits.
A small group of ambulance chasing lawyers is cyberstalking around the country creating chaos, for money and personal agenda.  They are lower than the dogfighters, because even the dogfighters are honest about using animals for personal gain.  Winograd claims affection,....however,  cruel, evil, deceptive, manipulative, destructive and arrogant without reason, would be more appropriate descriptions. How about a class action lawsuit against the No Kill Advocacy Center ?  Nope, that would be like bombing Afghanistan,nothing really there to destroy.... Maybe we could tape his mailbox shut ?
Pictured is a dog for rehoming, NHS is not on the table....

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Miss Priss, a tear jerker. You and Velvet are lucky girls to have located a soft spot to land. That Newfoundland it obvious in the adoration it shows for the owner who is losing it.
Our shelter is getting a great deal more traffic, as times get harder, but I think we are not seeing the returns that Reno is. For one reason we are selective to whom we adopt. By pre-screening aggressively we avoid the impulse adoption that NHS thrives and survives on.I will be in Reno first week of September, perhaps we can meet. I am bring Velvet with me for the holiday.

Pete said...

Read Mark's blog about the County letting NHS put the utilities in their name. Are you working on that ? From my sources they were not paying their fair share of the bill anyway and now will have the whole building in the dark when they default. I notice Breternitz was quiet, that means he was for it. Did NHS con his wife? Humke dealt with that too. I am sick of the ghost behind the chair having a vote. I also saw Lou Bonaldi whose wife Tierra sits on the NHS board has become buddies with Glenn Carrano. Hoping for Silver Legacy support ? Another case of wives misleading husbands. Our County Commission should remember they serve the public and keep their spouse at home.

Amanda said...

Pete they working a charity event and the doc was oblivious to the whole mess. He is a kind man with a big heart and would never be a part of what she is doing. I don't want to see this thread get sidetracked by naming names.
Maybe the other casinos are getting wise and now they have to move to new finacial turf.
About the power change, I think the county got screwed one more time and now K B is using both positions to help NHS. God knows they need help ! Is anyone ever going to bring in a big agency and shut them down for inhumane conditions ? I am glad Maddie's Fund is separating from Winograd in the open, because he sure used them like they were buds.

Open Door Shelter Girl said...

Great looking Newf, let me know if I can do a nail trim for you. Good luck big guy ! If Priss gave you the nod, that's all I need.

kcacc Sharon said...

Tell it like it is sister ! I hate to see any dog go from a good home to a shelter,keep trying to place these boys. But for sure, they drag the purebred an extra long time to have something to show besides pitbull types. Keep the Bay Area on track Greta, and give Velvet a hug. I pray we don't get your crazy director up here.

HonestyHelps said...

Speaking of Maddie's Fund, I participated in applying for a grant from them once. We were told that Maddie's Fund only supports programs that they feel have a chance to succeed. In other words, they did not want to help those who need the most help because those areas really don't stand a chance of being "No Kill". In essence we were told that they are only interested in success, not in helping. If you check to see their funded programs, they don't do a whole lot of good anyway. I think I read that they have only spent $100 million in total whereas they were given $239 million. I wonder if someone needs to complain to the CA State Attorney General.

Happy Camper said...

That is interesting Honesty, so they have gone through about half the endowment in a fairly short time. I know in Reno there is a big " Maddie's Fund Adoption
Center" sign in the lobby of NHS. They have won a couple of awards for adopting out sick dogs, there's something you can hang on the mantle.......

Kirsten said...

That picture is perfect for the caption. Yeah right, we'll take you to a no kill shelter big guy. Good to see you on here Greta, thought you had gone to the dark side, being a smart ass here.
I like Bonaldi, hope he doesn't get mixed up in this. He did a tightening for me. My neck looked fine in person, but the camera made me look haggard. I think he is just supporting Tierra. She is a wonderful person, but getting bad information.. Anybody hear if St. John is gone yet, how bout Mitch ? Just hopin' I saw Jana but don't want to ask her.

Compassion First said...

The utilities on a government building remain in the government control. This is one out of control "partnership" At NNSPCA we have our building and we carry our load. All of us are pulling from NHS trying to help them look like Longley Ln is No Kill and it's become such a joke. We take from NHS so they can take from the pound and they are still turning people away. My wife said 4 people came in last week who had been refused at NHS. That is called dumping on all the other rescues.

Spouse said...

East Baton Rouge no kill shelter just threw in the towel. I volunteer at a no kill limited admission shelter in Reno, cannot be maintained in an open admission shelter. Stop the lying, you are hurting innocent animals. We no longer take from the public because we have to pull from the humane society. This No Kill crap is killing our animal welfare community.

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Kent shelter. Iread with interest the change in power over your animal services. I hope this signals a change in the bad behavior your current directors have been showing. Isn't Schneider in Australia right now running his mouth on your shelter budget ? I am working dilligently to be certain he doesn't end up in Seattle. It would be tragic to be rid of Barnette and get Schneider. i am providing council with accurate information on your stats down there and the Craigslist postings tell the true story. Kent Shelter will always be indebted to Oreo and Catmom for saving us from the lie of no kill open admission. Hug Velvet Greta, she is lucky to be in California with you. I have 3 more to place at the moment and there are none in shelter.

Happy Camper said...

@ Sharon, thanks for going down memory lane of the " good ol' days" in King County. I hope you saw the pair of long hairs on Craigslist, they will end up at the pound when NHS tells them to come back in 3 weeks.
I do wish that more people could see past the end of their nose on the No Kill crap, but the animals have to suffer a long time before the public wakes up. You are correct St. John is gone the 15th, and I hope to hell Mitch's new report is more on the ball than Dan was. They were golfing buddies and they let it get in their heads they were immune from discovery...wrong says Oreo.......

Southern Girl said...

I am fairly new to all of shelter blogs and sorting out kill from no kill. In Memphis we are under a new director, we just lost a very good one. It has been claimed that Austin is a No Kill city, yet they tried to ship their dogs off to Houston which is not no kill. So is that how places stay no kill, they ship them somewhere else? Your blog has been the most sensible so far, but i'd like more statistics if you have them. I think I am getting the picture and what I see is, Reno is not a no kill city. I was on Yes Biscuit for a while but they have no answers only complaints. In Memphis we are looking for answers, your blog provides some. I read that owners are turning in their own pets as stray. Is that from being disuaded at the counter? I can tell you right now if somebody in Memphis told one of our citizens to make an appointment, the dog would be turned loose to fend for itself. If that is what no kill is, I'll leave it. Did you guys decide to try no kill or was it thrown at you from a distance too ? Thanks for any light you can shed on this very conplex issue.

Happy Camper said...

Welcome Southern, there are guest from all over the country here and we are all here to learn. Your assessment of Reno is correct and the Austin thing is just to bizzare to try to explain. Fix Austin is a Winograd group, he's the one who wants your shelter. he tried to lay claim to Abigail Smith who used to be in Tomkins NY but she distanced herself from him quickly. Since she has been in Austin Winograd has been touting Austin as a No Kill City, but Abigail is staying a distance. I won't guess her motives for tranferring dogs to Houston, but what the hell is she supposed to do with them ? In Reno, the Nevada Humane Society tranfers dogs to the SPCA, thus removing one more source from the public. It is a very closed system here. If it were not so horrific it would be funny. Mitch is our director and he's a pathetic clown to those of us who know him well. You have a demographic problem and you have outside people trying to run your government facility. They don't bring money they bring trouble. It seems you are finding that out the hard way. Send them packing and work on your shelter one animal and one day at a time.