Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Face Of The Homeless Dog..

You won't see this guy at the Nevada Humane Society, shame they could use a pretty face......More and more people who really care about their pets are being turned away and learning through the process about how bad No Kill is. I found this guy on Craig's list and he was listed as "Needs medical attention I can't afford so he's free to a good home" Turns out the owner is a former neighbor who lost their home.  Although they have had this guy since puppy hood, broke is broke. Priss and Burley chipped in to get him treated, but we have a ways to go before he can be adopted., Luckily he is still with his owner for 5 more weeks.  Our decision is to keep him here at Oreo's place until his ear heals, and then send him to a breed specific rescue. The ticker is still running at over $300.00 and that is with a marvelous vet who is doing stuff below costs.   This owner loves his dogs, but love doesn't prevent or cure serious infections.  Sometimes stuff happens, and I bet this guy was a vicitim of owner love to the inth degree, meaning....he tricked his owner into letting him go swimming to often :)  Newfies can do that ya know. We had a similar event wih Burley and it came so quickly that in 3 days we were in trouble.  The only difference was, we were still employed.

Big guys like this don't do well on concrete, and Kuranda beds are bad for their spine, so if you know of any really good breed specific rescues, share that with us.  The vet check will be made and we will do a full back ground check.  A good rescue has an open account with a veterinarian. At least that's our standard :)
Thanks
Team Miss Priss

8 comments:

Robin said...

Please, please never let the crazy NHS people get their claws on this dog. They would keep him FOREVER for the walk through traffic he would bring. When he started to break down they would have him on their specially priced list and make a fortune off what was left of the pathetic remains.
I remember one Newfie they put in with a known fighter when I was still there. That was under Peralta. DON'T LET THEM GET THIS DOG !!

Anonymous said...

Yo Miss Priss, we have a great rescue in Seattle for giant breeds. If you can't place him in a suitable home there, I could pick him up next month when I drive down to see Greta and Velvet.
Understand a home is first choice, but just offerin' Beautiful dog, all Newfie ? Looks like a Landseer is he a relative to BD and Priss ?

Happy Camper said...

Thanks Sharon, he is not related to our guys. A true love he has asymtomatic autoimmune disorder. Long version of he can't get vaccines. Makes things tough. i fear there could be issues taking him out of state, but appreciate your offer. I'm certain a private home could get the titers and do the deed, but could be dicey for a rescue. So you are going to the Bay area. Hug the Kraut :)

Anonymous said...

A splendid animal. I could never deal with the size,
I understand you are being particular as well one should. I agree with Robin, the Nevada Humane Society would take advantage of his good appearance and use him as bait.
Did you see they are still offering free dogs, this is 6 months running.

Anonymous said...

Are either on of the Newf's still available ? I do hate to think of anyone losing the family pet, but how are they eating ?

Happy Camper said...

It's looking like the owner will be able to keep the Landseer, he has some imune issues and therefore it would be logical for the man to keep him if he can. The all black guy KK is wanted by one family but they are in deep grief over the loss of their old Newfie, so we are keeping things open........ thanks for inquiring, they are eating fine, don't know how the owner is doing, but dogs are doing well :)

Compassion First said...

I have not commented in so long, I want this dog ! Just kidding, Spouse would drag me through the mud. I have been catching you from work and they have tightened down on comments from the company computer. Labor Day weekend and I am home and getting caught up. Spouse did put his picture up at SPCA and was told they have plenty of dogs of their own. Nice group of people running these no kill places. I went down one day to take a dog walking class, I'm 6'4" I can walk a dog for God's sake. Many of the older heavy set women were having issues with the pitbulls. They need more full size male walkers. I admit it seems fruitless, most of these dogs will be there for month's. I hope you are able to keep the big dude out of the shelters Miss Priss. And I will try to come by here more often. I think I am still missing Oreo.

Happy Camper said...

Thanks for caring Shel. We miss Oreo too. Miss Priss is coming to maturity and it will be a different blog but still a good one we think. This dogs owner can walk both of them at once easily, so they are really leash trained, mellow dogs.
@ Chap, NHS is through with the free August specials and is now offering Free September Dog Daze. I give up, vicious circle.