
Sand and Stone
TWO FRIENDS WERE WALKING THROUGH THE DESERT. DURING SOME POINT OF THE JOURNEY, THEY HAD AN ARGUMENT; AND ONE FRIEND SLAPPED THE OTHER IN THE FACE.
THE ONE WHO GOT SLAPPED WAS HURT, BUT WITHOUT SAYING ANYTHING,WROTE IN THE SAND ":TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SLAPPED ME IN THE FACE ". THEY KEPT ON WALKING,UNTIL THEY FOUND AN OASIS, WHERE THEY DECIDED TO TAKE A BATH THE ONE WHO HAD BEEN SLAPPED GOT STUCK IN THE MIRE AND STARTED DROWNING , BUT THE FRIEND SAVED HIM. AFTER HE RECOVERED FROM THE NEAR DROWNING, HE W ROTE ON A STONE:" "TODAY MY BEST FRIEND SAVED MY LIFE" .THE FRIEND WHO HAD SLAPPED AND SAVED HIS BEST FRIEND ASKED HIM, "AFTER I HURT YOU,YOU WROTE IN THE SAND AND NOW,YOU WRITE ON A STONE, WHY?"THE FRIEND REPLIED" WHEN SOMEONE HURTS US WE SHOULD WRITE IT DOWN IN SAND, WHERE WINDS OF FORGIVENESS CAN ERASE IT AWAY. BUT, WHEN SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING GOOD FOR US, WE MUST ENGRAVE IT IN STONE WHERE NO WIND CAN EVER ERASE IT. "LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE.
THEY SAY IT TAKES A MINUTE TO FIND A SPECIAL PERSON, AN HOUR TO APPRECIATE THEM, A DAY TO LOVE THEM, BUT THEN AN ENTIRE LIFE TO FORGET THEM.
I found this old snippet of Hawkers Honey snoozing on the sofa in the sun room...

10 comments:
I remember meeting Hawk one time at the shelter. He appeared so docile sitting there in your car. The likeness catches him with the puppy expression he had when I met him. It was hard to believe your warning, but you would know. I remember you said " Don't put your hand in that window "
I went up to Katie's and got clearance for the trap crate and when we put it in the back of the car he never turned his head toward us. Clearly avoidance was his best defense.
His troubles should be washed away in the sand and the happiness kept in stone. I don't think I've ever seen such a big shepherd. I had forgotten the incident until I read this post. Most dogs like Hawk didn't have a happy ending, and now they adopt them out. It's so wrong to do that. I was pretty sure we had met, but the picture of Hawk seals it. He had a very puppy face and was so trained, and yet you could feel his tension. Perhaps you will remember me soon.
Dear Old School,
I don't place you, but it may be the better course since you still seem to work for the county. Not being rude, just protective of you. These people do not like me because I know the games and how cruel the lifestyle in that shelter is, so best not get to well aquainted with me while you still work there. I do remember getting the trap crate for an injured cat that seemed wild and only had three legs.
I would like you meet Lady. We are comeing to Reno this Saturday and will be staying near the University. Could you meet me at 11 A.M. at the little park where we first became aquainted ? I will be outside the dog area with Lady on a leash, I would appreciate your input on a behavior issue. I don't think she is a park dog, so please don't introduce one of your dogs at this time. Oreo finds the truest wisdom, and Lady may be a little like Hawk, but we'll catch up then. Have you confirmed any rumors about how many animals are at NHS ? I thought I would go through again and get a look for myself. Mr. Winograd is strangely silent on his blog about Reno. Parvo maybe ?
I have marked my calendar. Is this why you haven't written about her on your blog ? Don't forget kcsharon, she is valuable I'm sure.
We took Riley and Lucy2 for a walk along the river at Idlewild park. Ther were a lot of dogs enjoying the not stormy weather. I had planned on scoping out the Longley Lane situation after we had pooped them out. Bad idea I guess, we hooked up with some folks who had gone over there to check the kittens out and there is a parvo thing going on. The way they handle animals is not sanitary and Parvo's not easy to treat. One of the volunteers told the wife and she made a beeline for the door. I hope Tom hasn't pulled sick animals from there.
Hawk is a pretty dog. It's to bad he had so many problems; I guess pits are not the only ones with issues.
I read the newpaper blog all week, it's crazy with the one yakker that takes up the whole topic. Dog parks are over rated, and events are something you can bring your kids to see. We took the boys and left the dogs at home. Who would take a pair of pitbulls to a high energy event like an agility trial. I met a couple of the owners and came away impressed with the amount of work they do. I understand some of them are rescued. Digger & Dozer would get into a fight if they got that much adrenalin going, suppose the breed is pretty important for that. I will be one who is supportive of agility from now on.
I was at Idlewild and there were several dogs and happy owners walking. I originally came in contact with this blog at Rancho and no longer go there. The users have changed and leashes are better all the way around for dogs that need time with the owner. Playing is fun and with the right mix of dogs they choose friends and ignore the rest, but many of the dogs I see lately have a teritorial attitude toward the park. My labs are laid back, but they don't like being surrounded by a pack of dogs with hackles raised. There needs to be a stronger counsel with some of these adopters of strong breeds. They are not park dogs and they don't belong off leash in packs with innocent children and pets. At Idlewild we are on leash except for a quick leap in the river and right back.
Hawk would fool me, but I do know those powerful jaws. I will try to find out more about the parvo issue. i don't think Tom pulls from NHS since Oreo did her post, but I'm not certain. Anybody else notice how old and how long some of the AC dogs are. How does a 13 year old Gordon Setter end up in the pound with no owner. I'm thinking turn aways.
I read in the paper about the shared services agreement. They list the success of Animal Services as a good example. That is pure spin, that should be the last thing they use as a good example. What will happen to Sparks when Washoe and Reno become official bedmates? They have been meeting unoffially for a long time but now there is no reason to even pretend to be independent.
How are the adoptions in your area going ? Answer via email if you like. We are very slow, I think unemployment is a big factor. I know our agency is hurting and looking at other websites I am seeing some long term dogs. We do turn away, and we are turning more than ever. I think the new thing with the vets not wanting to put them down is causing a ripple of dogs showing up in shelter. I turned away three dogs this week over 12 years of age, all with advanced medical problems that I know we could not maintain or place. All three said their vet refused to euthanize them and pushed for treatment beyond what they felt was good for the dog. I am bummed.
Post a Comment