Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Waking Up To The Sage Green World Of The High Desert..

We're nestled into a hillside here, this bunny pic' was snapped from my bed, and waking up is a joy. We sleep with the doors and windows wide open and the scent of the desert fills our home. The first few minutes of each day are filled with gratitude and offering thanks for gifts from a loving God. The rest of the day can get busier........ Take time to click on Bobbert Bunny, as I call him, he's only the one ear, I wish he could weave a tale for us and let us know more about his life on the hill. Was it a hawk, coyote, or a cruel child who stole his ear ? There was no wildlife rehabber for Bobbert, he just toughed it out. Of course he didn't come out of hiding til he was on the mend, and as you can see; he is the picture of sinewy strenth right now. I am sure he is coming down for a breakfast of fresh lawn with Iris stalk appetizer.....For a little girl who grew up on the streets of Northeast Indianapolis, living in parks and the basements of public buildings, this life I live is Nirvanah.
More good news, when you get my age, just waking up to sunshine is good news though.. I spoke with a commission member at length last evening. The No Kill and Chameleon issue will be heard in detail come June. I feel great optimism. I shared with the Commish the need to practice due dillingence on the fiscal impact portion of Mr. St. John's proposal. That was over $150,000 dollars as written and that was not put in the packet for the board of commission. Also, we discussed a missive provided by a reader and commenter of Oreo's blog, that was a very strong deciding factor in getting to the bottom of things. It came from a source that could not be denied by Dan, it was historical in nature and put in perspective how much we have given away.
Let Oreo state, as she has in the past, if this were helping any animal it would be worth trying. After seeing the video from Calgary one comes away praying for a true working partnership, not a one-way suckling agency.
For those new to Oreo, let me tell you, in it's earlier incarnation, NHS was magnificent, all of this damage has been done since the Bonney and Dan show came to town. There were issues before, as any new set up will experience; but there was dialogue, and while not every item was agreed upon by all parties, the communication was there. The problem was never AC or the NHS as it used to be.... it came about when they came to the table in 2006, one to listen, the other to destroy. They mode of operation for the No Kill Equation is scorched earth, this consultant was a bad idea, his hatchet moll was a worse plan. When you brag repeatedly about firing 70% of trained staff, everywhere you are lucky enough to find a meal ticket....there is a problem..really.......
Bobbert Bunny came to our section of the hill a few months ago, it's not apparent from a distance that he has a few wounds to contend with. We don't feed him, but we do enjoy him.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no doubt in my mind that Washoe County Animal Control and the Nevada Humane Society have now become symbiotic; that is, they are living together but not necessarily in a relationship beneficial to each other.

PetCop

Happy Camper said...

Well said pc......I looked up symbiotic prior to typing the piece, Oreo wasn't certain of the exact meaning either. There is another word antibious, new latin, meaning to live together without a defining purpose. I had always used symbiotic in the traditional ( mutually beneficial ) sense. But, by golly, you are right on the money ! It has been said many times on this blog, if animals were not suffering nobody would give a damn. I think this war will have to be mounted on the financial impact, nobody agrees on anything else. There is a download of the conference on the site, but it's 98 MB and I thought probably useless anyway. except as MS would be bragging about his " concept" Hmmmmm , maybe I should download it..

volunteer no more said...

Yours sounds like a great way to start the day, the rest of us work :) I can see the benefit to NHS; I don't see anything in it for the county. What concession is NHS making ? There is no partnership, there is a parasitic arrangement. The County should just go back to handling their own adoptions and let NHS stuff to the ceiling. They could go broke faster and get well sooner. The animal condidtions are not good there. I see on different websites we are better than some, but not what we were built to be. I saw on the crazy blog, now NHS doesn't like taking cats that come from out of state so they are calling the California rescue to come get them. what the hell is that ? Riley is from a Sacramento shelter, if we lose the farm will he go back to Sacramento ?

Anonymous said...

I always feel a little like a whore in church on here. Being the limited admission shelter in a blog full of people who have no choice and have to do the dirty work is humbling. But we do educate here and try to help as much as we can with available funds. We took a Newfoundland in today and he is a mess, trying to decide whether to shave him or keep trying to brush him out. The owner was mid-70's and could no longer care for such a large dog, she wanted to trade him in for something small. I did place a small poodle cross with her and we both cried. It was something she could keep up with and the poodle was 14 so I think it will be a good match. Any advice from Oreo will be followed strictly. The dog is very healthy and not matted to the degree of limiting movement, but he was just to big for her to keep up.
Responding to your news, yeah!!! It is time someone looked into this and money is tight everywhere. As I have expressed before we have Chameleon, and anything that is on there can be accessed. It needs to be monitored when used by legitimate staff, let alone the " neighbors " when they are adversarial. Ask for the numbers in the building, we have health codes here and, and over crowding is not allowed.

Happy Camper said...

Attention ButtersMom,
If you can avoid shaving the Newfie, please do. Don't be afraid to cut some bigger mats out, it is hard on these big guys to be brushed on for long periods. Also there is a lot of stress for them to me suddenly " naked" it's hard enough to do for a medical need; but adding it to the stress of being surrendered..... Don't let him go off his feed, some Newf's really mope and can starve to death. The boys more so than the girls. I sort of remember you are in a semi-rural area in the mid-west or north-west states ? I am thinking of humidity so do look for damp sores, and a trip to the vet is in order. Please let us know if we can help.

Anonymous said...

I'm with anon, this is just to cozy. Can you find out when in June the budget will be discussed ? When I worked for Katie we had to show precisely where the money went, and while I've been in another dept. for almost three years, my heart is still with the animals.

Anonymous said...

We are in the area of the California / Oregon border, so we do have humidity. we are cutting out the big spots and brushing in 15 minute increments with an hour in between. He won't be up for adoption until we see what is under the fur. The nails were clipped, and she had indicated a groomer. My thoughts are the groomer took some shortcuts.. Anyway, nothing to give the impression of neglect. I don't know why people don't understand they are going to be unable to keep up with a giant breed in their 70's. The dog is very down and has no interest in eating, but I will keep you informed.

Compassion First said...

It is not a good business arangement for either side. It reduces accountability for both sides and invites " cooking the books" Also all the hidden things are happening, the stuff that goes on there with the public is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I am thinking about the unsupervised kids and animals we have seen.

Happy Camper said...

Thanks for bringing that up Sheldon, the unlimited use of the education room, not used for education, and the bring your blanie thing. It is a real liability because they own the building. I'll add that to the list right now.

Truckee River Labs said...

Did you kick me out ?

Truckee River Labs said...

Well I am back in the door now. I tried to get on one day and you were invite only. I wasn't invited, but I kept trying. I read several weeks worth of posts and I see the problems have not resolved themselves with the pound and the no kill.
I did read the blog entry where you decided to close up shop, and I could see it would be easy to miss some guests.
Lots of new people sense we have been here so I will try to get caught up, the labs are fine and looking forward to summer and swimming.
Can we write a letter or do something to help with this latest battle ?

Happy Camper said...

Nice to see you back. I guess I missed you on the notifications. We were only allowed a 100 readers on private so I may have run out of space too. It's good to have you back and I hope you get caught up. The big issue right now is SB132 AND SB 15 so read up on them and get your input registered.Hope to bump into you at the dog park with the guys.

Anonymous said...

You could cut the silence with a knife at ninth& wells. This is very, very bad and I see the paper finally mentioned Katy's covert meetings with Reno on the " shared services" What a crock of crap that is. Of course Kitty Jung wants Katy to run the city portion, so that won't leave much fight for the animals. I don't know how much longer I will be a county employee, but the fight for Longley will continue. Read Robisons blog, another sick animal and now they want to blame the adopter and demand the name so they can harrass the victim. Of course the vets wouldn't remember a kitten dying, they have a lot of dying kittens, it's part of juvenile spay. Please just go away and take the crazy people with you Mark.

volunteer no more said...

God, I am sorry old school. The reports about conditions on Longley are accurate and the county is not stepping up to the plate until June. I took a friend out to look for a dog, all they had were adolesent pit's. The pound side had puppies on Petharbor, but when we got over there we didn't see them. Maybe they went to Pet Network? We sure didn't see them at NHS, but there were so many we could have missed a couple of dozen rows. Are we ready to march yet ? this is sickening.

Anonymous said...

The sable shepherd disappeared after a month of being on Petharbor. Do you know where she went ? It seems odd that NHS would leave her over there solong, waiting for her to be at deaths door so they could feel good about themselves while saving kennel space at their facility. Up here SHS will not pull anything until it goes on the euth list, and some of these dogs would be adopted more quickly than what SHS is offering up. There was one family who has been looking for a Sable and they were trying to get time off from work to drive down. They called your county and your humane society, they were told by the pound they had to call NHS and were given the number, and NHS never answerd the phone.
I am not looking forward to what will go on if we partner with SHS. At Kent our numbers, good or bad are out there for the public.

Happy Camper said...

Hi KC I don't know where the Sable went, another person asked about her. If she was that timis she may have been put donw. Her structure looked nice and they side she was the right size for her age, but it was better when Cindy was there and they put the weight on. How big a deal is that to put the weight up ? To butters, contact me via email, there is a person looking for a Newf being rehomed. Want's an older dog. This family lives in Portola, they may be within range. Did everybody see what Gibbons signed. Yeah for the dog fighting loop hole, two paws down for the tethering bill. Now animals will really be dumped.

Anonymous said...

Just as point of interest... the ownership/haboring of fighting animals was illegal at one time. During a legislative session some time ago, that clause was removed without notice before the vote of approval on some changes. It was never determined who was responsible for that deletion. It was sneaked in.

PetCop

Happy Camper said...

Hello petcop....I have no idea how long your post has been sitting in " comments " Sorry bout that. I thought it was from another writer who uses that moniker and I never just hit publish with him. Sorry again, the Anon threw me off..... I will put up a new post to mention the bills that passed and show how crazy the legislature is....