Burley Dog got a hotspot, how a dog who is groomed every day for 30 minutes gets a hotspot is beyond me......but he did it. Always good to talk to animal folk and during the conversation we discussed Oreo, and frankly what a mess she is....... From there we go the " when is when," conversation. He said, quite calmly, our policy is not to put them down if they are still enjoying life and are treatable. Now I have always known these guys didn't spend all their time in college learning how to become a Euth Tech, but it still caught me by surpise to hear the finality of his tone. Please know, I have not one concern that Oreo would be a challenge, they have treated her for so long they know her prognosis.His office is known for not being fond of euthansia as a policy ( as in, you got an old dog and now you want a new one ) but respecting the owners bond with the dog. I came away a bit unnerved at the thought of someone getting up the nerve to have the family pet put down and having to argue with the vet to do it. My mind began to play and some of the old dogs I saw at the pound floated through my brain. Were these dogs taken to NHS to be put down after being refused by a private vet, and then sent to WCRAS since NHS won't do it.... This was starting to seem like a " Black Beauty" type of tragedy. A 14 year old Mastiff that couldn't walk comes to mind; how did the dog go " Stray " ? It had no hips, was neutered and at the least was 30 pounds overweight. Yet there it was on Petharbor...
I have only two minutes to speak at the commission, to try and sway against the unlimited time used to continue this travesty. What remarks would be your choice dear reader ? Mark R chose to wait till this time to release Winograds old herring about 93% of Washoe County loves NHS.... That is tripe, and should we demand to see the survey ? You and I know 93% of the population doesn't even know NHS exists. My understanding is that the SPCA & Petnetwork are pulling more animals than NHS, thats why they' re on the County page, but we don't have a contract with them...The SPCA may have had a memorandum of understanding when the AC was in Reno, but I can find nothing since the merger indicating SPCA is bound to take animals from AC.
I know the interlocal agreement is being looked at, and the use of Chameleon. Please grant the commission the tenacity to wade through the lies to save more innocent animals from enduring the crowded, crazy conditions. .. A scavenger hunt through the facility, how fun is that ? Over night adoptathons, for the love of God, let these animals have some routine or some privacy.
Pictured is Burley Dog last year at the Truckee....

7 comments:
We are seeing more owner requested euthansia animals. And many of these creatures are beyond their time. It has been a case of not having money for treatment and a vet deciding the animal was not bad enough for them to put down, insane rationale.
I'm sorry to hear that Greta. Being a private no kill small shelter we don't have that issue but we are seeing more animals brought in that have medical needs as a reason for surrender. Sometimes we can help and sometimes we have to decline. We know the animal will probably end up being put down, but we are short on funding.
Oreo when you go to commission stress the age and condition of animals being called " stray" and turned in. I know you have written about lactating bitches before, they don't leave a litter so the dogs have been dumped. If NHS has a contract to take all owner surrenders they must do that. A few people have said we should allow a broader base than we do, but I don't want more animals than we can take care of properly. Occasionally it feels pretty close to that. Happy Fathers Day to Burley Dog.
The skinny from the inside.
BB had the idea to unite and both agencys jumped on board; the plan is to factor all the numbers in the save rate. A disgruntled volunteer dropped off SPCA and gave me a call. Tom doesn't need them and nobody can figure why he bought into the BS except maybe Maddie's money. People should be damn careful when they die and not start some crazy shit. Shel and I are going over the agenda item # 27 it has some bad stuff in there. We both work and wonder when it will be actually heard. I understand Oreo doesn't want to jam the room, but do you think that would help ? I see even the report says it will cost money and has not succeeded over a few years. If anybody else is printing it out have plenty of ink. Oh, Lucy2 got a hotspot. Our doc said keep her dry for 3 weeks, you can tell he doesn't have a water dog. It's me using Shel's account.
Unintended consequences, I'm sure they had no idea how insane it would become. I saw online the session starts at 2 p.m. Being number 27 I think we are looking at a late hearing of the item.
I am going for the public comment section at 2 and then, since I can't drive after dark I will watch the rest from home with a few friends meeting here.
I don't want any of you government employees risking your job by showing up on this, got me ? This is wrong; it's not a stupid commission we are dealing with but a very determined dept head. I am sure the City of Sparks may send a rep. I will call around on the morn.
I will be working, but will try to slip into chambers on break. I hope to hell you can get the fools to listen. I've heard enough that I went online and read the PDF, incredible. Commissioner Jung should not vote on the merger conditions at all. She may be nice, but she is to close to the issue to be fair or objective. JB is new and seems to be a " man's man" but he does listen and I have seen him grill Dan before. Where is the fiscal impact statement ? Where are the assessments ? The county is going down the tubes and they want to add the expense of the no kill Nazis. I really hope heads roll over this. Yeah, lets get a forum of pet lovers. Right.
Sorry Oreo, ticks me off.
Shel gave me the update and we have mentioned this around the workplace. What is the meaning of this in the middle of a financial disaster. Are we on the docket ?
Dr.Simmonds was great, and so was Oreo! It appears to me that the asst county manager wanted to drop any discussion of no kill. He got that loud and clear. That was Oreo that called the attention to the failures wasn't it ? The expression on the face of the no kill commish was furious that she had been outted in the annual report. Should we be getting ready for the forum ?
Post a Comment