Pet Network has opened a dog hiking specialty store to serve the needs of local hikers and pet owners. The newly completed Incline Canine Dog Hiking Specialty Store is open to the public from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm seven days per week. The store is located in the Pet Network shelter at 401 Village Blvd.Incline Canine carries hiking gear from premier companies such as Ruffwear, Zukes, Chuck-it, and Planet Dog. These items compliment the existing pet store which carried a variety of items such as; crates, collars, leashes, bowls, beds, treats & toys.
“The best thing about shopping at Incline Canine is that like our boarding services, every dime spent in our store supports the rehabilitation and adoption of homeless and neglected animals” says Becky Goodman, Executive Director. “We are focused on becoming true to our name, Pet Network. Our goal is to be the premier networking organization for all things pet-related in Incline Village. Incline Canine is another step in reaching that goal.”
Incline Canine also carries a number of cat related goods including, bowls, toys, treats & unique scratching posts. “Incline Feline is on its way!” says Goodman. “Until then we are still offering the basics for our Incline kitties.”
Pet Network is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization that relies on the generous donations and support of the community to continue their life-saving work of rescuing, rehabilitating, and adopting homeless and neglected animals into loving homes. The organization has adopted more than 6,500 animals since its start.
Pictured is Oreo, the mind behind the product.

9 comments:
Best of luck with the new store, when we are up there we will drop by and check you out. Lucy says Oreo looks sharp in her camping gear. Our new lab mix would look good in a walking hat, do you have those with the ears cut out ?
What a great idea ! I volunteer in a small shelter in a rural,semi- touristy area. We could do something like this. Selling craft items might be an idea, we are not an upscale setting like Tahoe. I wish you well on your endeavors and look forward to any new ideas. Rescue is not easy, but when you do find the right home it is great !!
You know it odd to me that . . . Pet Network has received Maddie's Fund monies and has associations with the no-kill crowd. Yet, it still has its first store and has now opened its 2nd. Under Winograd and Brown (and after receiving Maddie's Fund) at the NV Humane Soc, the in-shelter store was closed purportedly due to lack luster sales.
One of Winograd's recommendations for any shelter he consults or operates is that any existing shelter store be closed in order to make more room to hoard more animals.
NHS closed their store and did exactly what Winograd wanted even though nearly every product sold in it cost the shelter absolutely nothing to attain or stock. Go figure how free stock equates to lack-luster sales?? Now that area is overloaded with small animals, and the first thing you "smell" when you come in to the shelter. Yuck.
The store is a good idea. I am the Sharon with the Cockers, I got a reply once about German Shepherds, wrong Sharon. Nor do I do rescue, but I do watch petharbor and when I see a Cocker at NHS or AC I tell my friends about it. Whenever we are down from the lake I check & if any are listed I cruise by. We understand that dogs come into a shelter looking bad sometimes, but there is absolutely no appearance of any dog up for adoption having seen a brush, let alone a bath. This does need to be addressed. I would think a bath and brush would be the first priority. SPCA keeps a clean appearance on their longer haired breed. I will have to check out Pet Network.
The new consolidated Regional Animal Shelter (aka WCAC and NHS)has/had a very large grooming room (complete with tub, tables, dryers, and jugs and jugs of shampoo and conditioner along with all the other equipment to groom both dogs and cats) located on the NHS side of the building.
Too bad management decided to turn it into a cat holding area instead of using it for its intended purpose. They try to get groomers to donate grooming time and/or let untrained staff attempt to bathe and clip if time affords it.
The problem is that the shelter is severely understaffed, and there is rarely time to pay much attention to grooming.
The dogs are matted and stink. Many long-haired cats are matted and scraggily as well.
I have been asked via email to post information on the original allowances for that ( Longley ) facility. The smell is overwhelming in the area mentioned by pet protector. We would guess that being designed as a retail space, it has the wrong air exchange for constant occupation by animals and humans. I know with my 3 big guys the humidity and temperature surrouding the wire travel crate raise dramatically. I have a large van, with rear windows that stay open ( you know the style ) & run the air conditioner. A short 90 minute road trip in ideal conditions still raises temperatures 10 degrees in about 1 hour. So picture all that live stock stuffed into the front gift shop. Not good.
Somehow a post came in as I was responding, so we may be out of order here.
Sharon, I think pet protector answered your question about the coat condition. Every inch of that place is stuffed and it is not condusive to pet grooming. Even the dogs on Pet harbor are matted. I will find the fact sheet. I think the number was like one third of what they have....
I have been to Pet Network and although it has aged, it is clean. I know some staff left when the new manager came in, but nothing like the purge NHS experienced. Some of the people who left had unrealistic expectations. It is a rescue, not a sanctuary. Some animals that ones hopes will find a forever home are unable to survive even the best kennel environment. A true rescue doesn't let animals linger while others die. I don't want to bash NHS but it is having some troubles; and fixing torn cruciates while allowing hotspots & yeast infections from matting is a money driven decision.
Our two labs need an update on the trekking gear, how far from Sand Harbor is this place ? Also could we post some boarding fees, or did I miss that on the site somewhare ? we have been going to Rancho, but have not see Oreo and friends, it Oreo doing okay ? I thought last week maybe you were going to the river and we loaded the choc's up and went looking for you guys. My wife suggested a doggie picnic when the smoke clears. All of us from the blog could actually meet somewhere for a dog play.
Congratulations on the new shop, we live down hill from you at Montruex and go to the lake often. Is there a map to your store from Mt.Rose ? I understand you take dogs from the pound who are to be put down. That is wonderful work you do. We are not in the market for a dog at this time, but we do have an aging kitty would would appreciate a younger friend but not a kitten. Are the animals for adoption fixed and tested for getting along wll with their peers? really Oreo, a little more information please !
Post a Comment