Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Most I Can Offer You Is A Promise,

And, in a world shattered by broken promises; can I ask you to believe me...?  When I first talked with Stormy's family about spearheading a national, search and recovery effort, for their lost Newfoundland Dog, I told them I would lead the search for as long as they wanted me .  I honored that promise.  I left the search because the family thought they could create a more effective search on their own.   I am comfortable with that, and I wish them well.  I hope they move on to find peace, and the poor dog.  I have been called names that I didn't even hear in 24 years as a military dog handler, I have laid those slurs to grief and frustration, as well their strong desire to take over my personal account .  At the request of over 200 readers I am keeping the page open as a place for animal lovers to gather on FB and chat in a safe, friendly environment. For years Oreo's readers have urged her to create a FB page, so we did that using Miss Priss's account,  now she can finally post as a Facebooker, and not just a "blogger" ..She feels very " trendy" in her role as Admin on the Stormy pages, and takes her responsibility seriously.
It was inspiring to have so many people come together on my page.  I've seen incorrect things posted, I'll take this time to put some of them to rest. I am not a " non-profit 501c " I am not a rescue, I would not allow the page to become monetized for any reason.  I do understand the others wanting to raise money, but I didn't want that on my page.  If we couldn't find the dog without "paypal" then I didn't want to continue, so it was really rather easier on me when family wanted to take the reins. ..
In organizing the mail programs I used in that search, I was amazed again at the caring from various persons, and tons of municipal shelters I dealt with . At the beginning of the search I contacted every gov. shelter on the west coast, Nevada and Utah by email.. sending a flyer containing Amy's cell phone, and my email.  That way there were people in two states who could be reached quickly.
 Just gathering & organizing the email addresses took 5 working days.  Most of those shelters responded saying they had printed out the flyer for the employee breakroom.. That generated a desire to reply and thank them:)  I handled almost 5,000 emails on the search.   At it's high point the weekly reach for my page was 128,000 people.  Oft' times, with so many readers on the east coast, my day would start at 6 a.m. my time, and end at midnight, I don't regret a single minute of it .. I learned so much.  This was my first time of doing this type of search, but I" learned by doing", and sometimes readjusting my approach.  Some rescues were surprisingly secretive about the purebreds they had for adoption, and  used message machines with preemptive announcements that all their dogs were held the full stray period before being " pulled" and to leave a number for call back.. In closing my work on this dog, I've come to the sad conclusions that if a dog cannot be found with that type of saturation, without identification, it's hopeless.......I pray if someone has Stormy in their home that they treat her well, I wish there were someway to get Stormy's picture into peoples living rooms, because that's the only stone my search left unturned.  I know other people posted on Craigslist, and some folk, lit candles.  To all of you who followed, blessings..to those of you who continue to search with the family, blessings...
Pictured is Miss Priss with her Daddy..

12 comments:

Lou Russo said...

Happy Camper ..... don't fret over what is not appreciated by some .... know that what you did was appreciated by so many more out here. For you to take all that time to help a family find a pet, always remember there will be those of us out here that will always adore you as a good soul. Keep smiling! Lou Russo

Happy Camper said...

Thank you Lou, I've really done my best on this, and there were some brilliant searchers that worked too. The page will remain a tribute to those who gave so much time, it shows that animal lovers can work together :)

Cole David said...

The work put into that search was unbelieveable.I was one of the ones who wanted you to keep it open for us to search through again. There are still some of the fliers with old information, on craigslist. Who do you contact if someone emails you with a lead?

Happy Camper said...

Thank you Cole, it was a job worth doing well. To address your question about the leads..... I cannot even acknowledge a lead by responding since Amy said " stay away from this search" However when I made the flyers I did put in both Amy's cell phone and my email, so they can call her if it's important. You were one of our transport connections, is that right? Whomever you are and what ever you did, thanks :)

Cole David said...

Understood, I did see the screen grab of the message a roomate sent you posted on the page. I'm glad you took it down. Those kind of people will always be around, ignore them.

April Komsisky said...

Good job Oreo and glad to have you back here. Helluva search I wish we could have found the dog, but a whole bunch of people showed up to help look. That ought to make the family feel a little better. Sorry they got so nasty at the end, but maybe after they do it themselves they will find out it's not so easy. Not trying to be spiteful, but I don't think they understand how much work and private information you used to help them. I hope this doesn't keep you from helping again.

Matt said...

you did a stand up job and I hope you don't get turned off to helping somebody again. I have worked in shelters all my adult life. this is the hardest search for any dog I have seen.

Happy Camper said...

Thanks Matt, it was a hard search, I hope they find her. I am out of the deal. To be honest to have worked this hard and then have all the egos jumping in, is hard to see. They really made a mess of it, but it's their dog; so they can only blame themselves. Intact, no tags, no chip...hard one. We heard of a few Landseers, but none that could not be accounted for. It took the family to long to get going on it. I think she's been adopted out. I don't want to think of her as deceased. I just think somebody would have picked her up.

Kevin said...

Keep my page as long as you need, I was only getting nervous about all the plans to raise money. Do you still have the group page going?

Happy Camper said...

Thanks Kev, as long as you're okay with it, we can let it ride. It's a nice page and it may help someone heal.

Anonymous said...

Miss Priss, you would make Oreo very excited to know she raised you with her tenacity. That was a fearsome search that covered a tremendous area. I have looked at the new page and it's very disconnected. I saw them asking about putting fliers in places that had fliers. There were pictures of the children; which I assume are not missing, and one of the dog. Has anybody thought that Stormy could be with a family more prepared to care for her ? When you first started the search I was behind you all they way, but the more I see and hear the less certain I am that they are good dog owners. I'm hard pressed to believe this was your all American family. Then one day out of the blue the cops start showing up and Jim wants a divorce, the wife moves to Iowa with the children and leaves the dog with him. It's appearing to me that there may have been violence in the home. Why didn't she take Stormy with her ? Too many unanswered questions.

Happy Camper said...

Greta, your part in the search is appreciated. Our job was never to second guess the quality of the home...please don't go there. Obviously there are some pretty deep cracks in their integrity, but I think they are okay dog owners..Not very nice people, but I hope they get their dog back.