Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Crazy Laws That Hurt Animal Welfare People And The Animals They Protect

I know that's a wordy title, but I am a wordy ol' Chaplain :)  I am going to be home in my beautiful high desert soon, looking at my mountains as I take my morning coffee.  That's an apology for staying away from the keyboard so long.
It was disheartening to see California bow to the fringe element on Hayden's Law, it took my spirit for a little while.  I felt like we had lost a very long war.   I know today that we will keep fighting for the animals on all levels, but especially the ones caught up in the system..  Particularly we will fight legislation that binds the hands of shelters, taking away the rights of the many for the whims of the few. 
Much talk has gone on about all the " acts" being brought up in various states from Delaware to Florida, all are clones of Haydens Law.  Mr. Winograd has never taken the time to have an original thought, so it follows that he would go from state to state, changing from CAARA to FARA to any of the other aliases he may choose.
Do we really want to overturn the wishes of a dying dog or cat owner ?  Do rescues really know best for a 15 year old companion animal brought in for euthanasia ? 
Why are we sleeping through the legislative process when so much is at stake ?  Nevada must wake up, it's to close to Hayden for it's animal welfare community. Put Humane Euthanasia back on the list of options for an old sick dog, get rid of the " release slips" when a Euthanasia slip has been requested.   Okay, down from my soapbox.

9 comments:

Jake said...

I absolutely agree. The push by no-kill to eliminate owner requested euthanasia is harmful to owners and the animals. One case see here in DE can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bZbRBI3tTc . Nobody can tell me this dog was kept for 14 years by someone who didn't care for the animal. There's no doubt that they intended for the dog to be euthanized and possibly couldn't afford it, or just didn't have the heart to make the decision for themselves. If I was that owner and had to see what the dog endured, I would be horrified.

So it also brings up the question as to whether no-kill is discouraging future adoptions by people that have more limited resources? I think so. If someone doesn't have the resources to provide cancer treatment, will they have to turn over their animal to people like this no-kill group that will allow the animal to suffer to the degree the animal in the video above did? And I hope the veterinary community understands is that this will not stay limited to shelters. There next step will be to question vet euthanasia decisions. It's just a matter of time.

Spouse said...

Good job, Chap. Any open admission shelter that refuses ORE is failing their public responsibility. There was a tragic story a few years back in the Northwest about an older couple who had no money or place to get the cancer ridden dog put down. They tried to do it themselves and it was horrible. They got charged with animal cruelty, which was later lifted, but it was an agonizing experience.

Wigglebutt said...

While I hate to see the elderly and/or sickly dogs and cats that come into my local shelter for ORE, it's a relief to know that the option exists for people who don't have another option they can afford. There are vet clinics in the Mid-South with reasonably priced euthanasia, but some of them are outrageous. I know this primarily because of the growing number of people I've referred to my personal vet to have their dying pets humanely euthanized after their own vets have quoted them in excess of $100 for the service (and that's assuming that vet "approves" the euthanasia after a physical exam).

King County Sharon said...

I'm following the Las Vegas deal where the New York lawyers are trying to save a dogs that killed a baby. What's the take on here Chap ? I personally think that any dog that reactive needs to be put down. What are Nevada laws ?

Lil'Bird said...

Shelters have to be the one place you can count on to put your dog out of pain. There's no point in saying what the owner should do, it's what they can do. And many families that could afford the dog when they got it, can't now. Plain and simple. I read that Nevada story,ya'll will be having the biscuit next if you let this one by. Nobody should out speak and animals owner unless there is neglect or cruelty. Shirly is so wrong on this one, I can tell ya.

Compassion First said...

I know the money is behind pushing this behavior. Maddies Fund gives extra grants for pushing senior sick dogs. NHS keeps winning, hows that for a title to be proud of, pawning of the ost sick old dogs ? Money people, this is all about the money.

Solitude said...

There is no humane way to take a dying animal hostage. That Nevada case points out everyplace a deal can go bad, and did. Even if an animal could eck out a couple of more months sitting in a kennel on concrete, scared and alone,is that what we want?

Sheldon said...

Everything that needs to be said seems to be covered here, so why am I typing ? Spouse calls it a compulsion to respond. My take is, volunteering in a shelter where ORE is denied I have seen the stunned look on the owners face when they understand their animal could be given to strangers. They come in with a terminally ill or aggressive animal, it's a hard time and we say "well maybe" I agree it's a humane public service and needs to be available.

Spouse said...

I was so happy to see that New York took the sensible stand on CAPA !! One step in the right direction.