In our downwardly mobile economy, like everyone else the government is watching it's budget. What do we outsource and to whom ? The big trend lately is taking animal control private in the mistaken belief that somebody else can do the same job less expensively. Beyond the hidden agenda of doing away with union benefits, is an " honest to God" weariness of being badgered by lunatics. We went through it here and I fear the loons still walk the halls looking for a light under the door to creep in again. How do they come in, the bewildered ones ? Nobody is just walking up to the counter and saying, " I'm deranged, and I'm here to take control of your shelter " Be nice if it were that straight forward.No, they come in the guise of legislation, or volunteers with agendas...occasionally they come in the form of a partnership gone awry. They flourish with the dissension of clashing beliefs. Never has divide & conquer been more true than in today's animal shelter system. The world of grey, caught in the fight of "black or white" When one is dealing with living beings, there is no line of demarcation, no set pattern of good vs. evil, Euthanize or Hoard..... I would beg the reader to go to Opposing Views and looking under "animal rights" ( not an accurate description I might add ) read the piece by Phyllis Daugherty, on Hayden's bill and the unintended consequences. It's a poisonous root on a deadly tree. From it springs CAPA- CAARA-FARA..all bad for the sentient beings caught up in the melee. Think compassion before you leap into the No Kill fire.
Pictured is a lovely lass who will be up for adoption when her health exam's are complete. Contact Miss Priss through an NFP for contact information.

24 comments:
Beautifully said. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the Florida legislative committee, that meets Monday, has common sense and doesn't place any more animals in jeopardy.
Good morning Miss Priss! You may feel the need to check and re-check your paws this morning, but do not worry. The only thing you stepped in was debate on governmental process! I was once in government sales, and I am at least a little familiar with the process of an RFP (more so than almost any of the critics of the RFP for privitazation of MAS). I think a good first step in answering the question of should we go private or not, is the RFP process. If a group cannot do the research, pull together the information, and write a proposal correctly; that group cannot handle all that goes into handling running an arm of a government agency. No grading the RFP on a "curve". Grade the same as you would any RFP for service. No extending deadlines. No missing mandatory meetings. These are the rules! Play by them, or don't play! To me it seems like the critics in Memphis are complaining about not getting to write their thesis paper in crayon with no citation page!
Of course they want to get special treatment. Maybe they could have Erica list her qualifications and write the RFP to match them.
One of the biggest deterrents to MAS going forward is the constant interference from the YB's. After Matt Pepper nobody in their right mind would want to work here. Last night when the sirens went off it reminded me of Shirley when the webcams turned black. They are incapable of seeing their part in MAS problems. Thank you all for accepting me for who I am today, just another volunteer.
Our activist who wants to shovel pens is in favor of private shelters. He is a big follower of Nathan Winograd. Maybe Winograd could come up and shovel with him. We did outsource services about 8 years ago to the local SPCA. All kind hearted people but they didn't understand the difference between animal control and hauling dogs to the Wal-Mart parking lot on Saturday morning.
They billed themselves as a non killing shelter until they ran out of room. Then it got real quiet. They have approached us a couple of more times wanting to only do the sheltering portion of the job. Well, don't we all is my thought. You need government descipline to run animal control it's that simple.
Hey guys, good to have such a turnout so early in the day. I will check between my paws for sure. What makes dealing with these people so difficult is, they don't know what they don't know.
In their very simplistic approach, they overlook the real financial impact. Who maintains the trucks, who paints the building, who pays all the vet bills the YB's want to run up ? None of the group including Winograd has day to day shelter expertise.
Once upon a time several years ago, Winograd threw a little of puppies in a horse trough and got lucky. Now if he can pull that off about 20 times a day for 10 years he will be on to something. I had the pleasure of sitting out your storm on FB with friends, glad you are all okay and hope you still have your roofs.
The outcry from those who have been shouting "privatize" the Memphis Shelter for years is they did not "have time" to present a RFP.. Well, they knew it was coming announced by the mayor last summer. If I were one wanting to "take on" the Memphis Shelter, I would have been working on it as soon as I knew the possibility of taking over the shelter a reality. Make a plan and tweak it when the RFP was published. I know it is not really that easy, but much of the planning could have been done before the RFP was released. Not rocket science! If one could not meet the deadline, come out and say it is being worked on but more time needed. One is to assume that NO ONE was working on it!
Stop the yelling and get out of your chairs and off your computers and HELP make the Memphis Shelter better. Oh, wait a minute, that is not the goal, control is the issue. These very people should be at the shelter in the morning asking what they can do to actually help. Anyone want to take a bet on how many will be in that line???
It is time the Memphis Shelter move on past this. Hire a new director, continue to build the volunteer force, hire the extra help that is needed in a 36,000 sq. foot facility, and move forward. If the "privatizers" want to help, "come on down", but my guess they will stay at their computers figuring out new ways to get their names in the paper, faces on tv, and come up with new "things" the shelter should be doing. Note: "the shelter should be doing" never what they can do to help.
They have had their "chance". Either get WITH the program, or please go find yourselves another "project". You have had your chance in Memphis, and you blew it.
If readers are ever in Memphis come visit the Memphis Shelter. We would love to have you!
@spay/neuter team, you go girl.
@ the NFP, if South Haven is near Memphis the dog is in your area.
Jake has anyone from your group provided Florida with information on CAPA and all of it's many faces ? Sometimes a copy paste is better than a link due to the very hectic schedules they carry. Sometimes I will be reviewing packets that run 200 pages, so you need to be quick and accessible to get my eye. When I email I send a " teaser" if you will and the link in case they wish to pursue the issue.
My shelter is adoption only, so private works. It does not work at NHS where Shel is. I for sure would not want a boss who couldn't even get a proposal ready for an rfp they knew was coming. It's hardly a surprise to anyone but the Shirley guppies that no one stepped forward. What is the problem that has them so focused on MAS. Could it be that the failure of Reno is making Winograd frenzied to get his claws on anything ? After all the south is the only place he isn't known as a failure. I would think Baton Rouge should be a warning though.
Yes we read the Biscuit Tabloid. I also watch any other Animal Rightists trying to take over MAS. If you are one of us, start watching the shelter staff for signs of cracking under the pressure. I pulled part of this from a post on the Biscuit. Somehow they have their hooks in Glenn.
"Lorraine Martinez Says:
January 22, 2012 at 9:25 pm .
First, I agree that Glenn seemed genuinely interested in improving conditions for shelter animals at MAS, and that he felt that the public has the wrong impression about the attitudes that exist among the MAS Techs today; he insists that “all of that negative stuff was associated with the previous administration” and that they are eager to change the public’s opinion. I suggested that if that is true, and they truly want to change the public’s impressions that they had to make an effort to welcome the public with open arms, to increase transparency, and to show that there has indeed been a change. And that it could start by increasing the number of hrs the shelter is open, and by inviting the public to help them get more pets adopted by partnering with them, allowing volunteers to post animals (as we volunteered to do yesterday), and holding more outreach events, including YouTube videos of adoptable pets, etc.
It’s also very clear that many people involved with MAS follow this blog very carefully, whether they will admit it or not–Glenn seemed to know almost as much as we did about what’s been posted online–and I think we should all keep that in mind, and try to use this forum to communicate in a positive way.
. The last words we exchanged with Glenn were to ask him point-blank about whether he was telling the truth about today’s training event: he absolutely gave us his word that no animals were killed this weekend for this training. We told him if we found out he was lying to us that WE WOULD BE BACK, and not so friendly the next time."
.
That sounds like a threat to me.
@ Miss Priss, you hit the nail on the head! They don't know. They don't know the difference between fact and opinion. They don't know the difference in a goal and a plan. They don't know the difference between a protest and a tantrum!
The Opposing Opinion article highlights the root of the CAPA/privatizing issue. An aid was allowed to state an opinion that turned into fact. Any good legislation does not leave room for broad interpretation or undefined rules. A "rescue" must be defined to qualify and be subject to checks. The idea that rescues are putting "holds" on dogs that they cannot physically take ownership of for two weeks or more is nothing more than a child running around shouting "MINE".
This is a grown up world. We have laws and rules. It is high time we quit letting the whiny kids sit at the grown up table! We have adult conversations that need to take place!!
@GB, NHS is a private non-profit that contracts with the county for owner surrender intake. They don't take strays, period. When people like the biscuits compare us with other shelters, and all the bogus save rates; they conveniently leave that out. Conversely when they do the comparison with Washoe County Regional Services, that agency doesn't take owner turn ins. However with No Kill being the public face of NHS they do turn away. They do this by requiring appointments and making owners go through an interogation process that would make Gitmo blush. Many animals are taken straight down the walk to Animal Control and turnen in as strays. Oreo covered that in 'the final betrayal"
Every time I read another rant on YB, No-Kill Memphis or any other such site, I find myself wondering how/if Memphis taxpayers would react if they knew how much money these antics cost the City of Memphis.
Seriously, if city staff has to be dedicated to answering phones all day during one of Shirley's campaigns of terror, then other work doesn't get done. Some of that work is going to be time sensitive, which means our civil servants will be working (and getting paid) overtime. That's real dollars our city is shelling out... our tax dollars. This city is already hurting financially, and even if it weren't, I'd much rather see those dollars spent to improve life for our residents - things like street repairs, increased funding for schools and libraries, additional youth programs whether they be educational or recreational. Things that will make our residents happier, safer, more well-rounded. But no, we're spending that money catering to terrorists instead.
@spay and neuter -- I was actually excited to see how many proposals were submitted and was somewhat surprised that no one showed at the meeting. I think all the critics were surprised an out of state email that said...
"SEE the NKE", furreal! *smh:)-
--cr8zydogldy84
...was not going to cut it!!:)
@ Jake, has there been any news out of Florida on the east end of the country?
@ SouthernBelle, everything I've heard indicates Glenn is a nice man, but he is clueless who he is talking to. Hope he doesn't become your version of Mitch Schnieder. They played to his ego and pretty soon he was sucked in, and I can tell ya, there is nothing fuzzy about Mitch. That could mean that poor Glenn could be more vulnerable. I hope everybody reads Opposing Views to understand the danger here.
@ the group, this was to rich to keep to myself. Fianlly something Shirley is not willing to set herself up for. I don't know if everybody reads YB or not, but here it is. The Biscuits Waterloo.
"YesBiscuit Says:
January 23, 2012 at 3:39 pm
I don’t know the answer but I’m open to suggestions. The police department comes to mind but I didn’t want to be seen as encouraging a phone campaign targeting the NYPD over a cat who is out of danger. If one person in NYC could call a non-emergency number for the police and make an inquiry as to who a cruelty case involving the ASPCA should be reported to, that would be a good start. But again, I am not asking readers to flood the NYC 911 phone banks with calls about this. We just need to know who to report the incident to."
Does this mean she hopes someone will attack the cops, but don't use her name ? I have got to get strong enough to come down to MAS.
@ Morphed: We have all heard of a veiled threat, well that is the Shirl's "veiled idea". She is putting it out the and praying someone takes the bait, but of course she is not asking someone to do it.
The people who swallow her kool aid are scary at best. Have to admit she is a master of manipulation. I vision a puppet show with the Shirl on the stage and all of her minions paying homage at stage front. Who has their hand up Shirl's skirt moving her mouth? The Winnie comes to mind. Just a "lovely" visual for the evening.
The world of sheltering needs to keep their eyes and ears open, and keep on the path with which animal control is charged.
Your people are taking comments and leaving part of them out. This doesn't give exactly what we meant to say. If we think something is awful we have a right to our opinion, we think every animal has a right to a loving forever home and it's the duty of every shelter to provide that. Ya'll are a bunch of killing apologists. The very idea of a hand up Shirley's skirt after all she has done to help the animals of Memphis is just mean.
@ Anne, be careful where you visit, we grow on ya :) I posted your comment even with the
" killing apologist" and I will apologize to my regular readers. We don't usually publish insults here, but since this seemed to be your life's passion I bent the rules. Most of us have enough couth that insults are extraneous. You will not be posted again with insults in your message. I just wanted to let you know we are up to the task of dealing with dissent, but we don't tolerate rudeness. In your case I believe it was lack of vocabulary..
If this offends you upon my death ask my family to bury me facedown so you can kiss my behind anytime you like.
Anne, I don't honestly think Shirley has done anything to help Memphis animals.
I do think Shirley and her followers have done things to harm them by making the people of my community reluctant to go to the shelter. I hear from people at adoption events how they could never go to MAS because of all the abuse/evil/whatever that goes on there. They bring up "facts" that are so far outdated that it would be similar to blaming Elvis for Memphis State having to vacate their Final Four appearance in 1985. (Elvis passed in 1977.)
I've been rescuing dogs in the Memphis area for almost 10 years and am painfully well aware of how many homeless dogs there are here. You have a right to your opinion about these dogs, but unless you're ready to do something to help, what value are you adding?
Outside advice is fine when asked for, but I don't think Memphis asked. I don't see complaining as constructing, and I don't see hatred as healing. Work with your shelter and things get done, really
@Anne: you say: If we think something is awful we have a right to our opinion, we think every animal has a right to a loving forever home and it's the duty of every shelter to provide that.
In my book if you KNOW something is awful you have a right to your opinion. One who forms opinions on what they "think" is skating on thin ice. There is an old saying "just because you thunk it don't make it so".
All you people following someone on the east coast who has NEVER been to Memphis, knows nothing about the shelter in reality, need to pack up and make a trip to Memphis. It would be nice if your leader would come too, but she seems to have absolutely no interest in the truth.
How many animals have you offered to help at the Memphis Shelter? If Shirley is so worried about the animals at MAS why does she not ask to post one everyday? (Hint Shirley style). All hate blogging does is keep people away from the shelter. After 2,000 emails and phone calls how does anyone expect to have any credibility?
Put on your working gloves if you want to help get the MAS dogs and cats adopted. It is hard work and not always fun so you may not be up to it. But if you really believe they all deserve homes, come on down! MAS needs all the help it can get.
As for the puppet show: you have no sense of humor! Lighten up and you will have more fun in life.
@HappyCamper. SB818 did make it through the Senate committee. Senator Bennett swore it won't have a fiscal impact because shelters could issue the notices to rescues before the hold time is up, so there is an overlap. Obviously he has no idea of the logistical issues of tracking hundreds of animals at various stages in the process and the additional manpower required to do that. NKN stated the house version HB587 will go to a vote next week.
Yes, I have had contact with a couple shelters down there and have also sent an email to the FL Animal Control Assoc. Hopefully they will get all the shelters to contact their reps and pass on the expected cost to their local taxpayers. If it passes, my sympathy to them. DE is a small state and the investigations started almost immediately, so whatever agency is tasked with monitoring in FL will be in for a nightmare too. FL has a much larger pool of animals to attract the unscrupulous players than DE does.
@Spay/Neuter Team
What did you think of Wino's comment last week?
"So let's stop deifying spay/neuter as the answer to how we save the lives of animals being threatened today in their local pound. For that, we need adoption programs." Maybe they should stop scaring people away from shelter adoptions and it sounds like he doesn't want his followers to figure out that paying for S/N is more productive than paying for hundreds of sick animals in foster hospice care.
Thanks Jake, I have the whole comment and it bears sharing....
Wednesday at 12:03pm.
.".. "Lesley, I agree it is preferred. But there are some scenarios where life takes precedence over spay/neuter in a high volume shelter environment such as at the initial stages of the No Kill initiative, say when a new director takes over a long neglected kill shelter and is ramping up the infrastructure to spay/neuter before adoption without holding them past their adoption dates, thereby tying up needed cage/kennel space. And there are certainly other ways to get it to happen post-adoption. In other words, if the choice is between killing animals and adopting them unaltered, the latter is always preferred." Nathan Wimograd"
It was called to my attention last night I respond to commenters, yes I do, please let me know if that makes you uncomfortable. Not sure I can stop though after all these years. This is a scary thought from a scary mind on s/n
I wanted to invite your group over to share their opinion on posting pictures online.
I have been keeping up with you over here and must say the CAPA issue is driving Winograd crazy. He keeps posting about all the ignorant states that oppose it.@ Suburbangirl, maybe the city could do a breakdown of hours spent nursing the crybabies.
Post a Comment