As a man of the cloth, I try to refrain from angry words. They seldom improve the situation. In this post I will be as informative as I can without brutality, however sometimes the truth is just to ugly to frame with pretty words.
For several months now I have watched from a distance as other shelters are torn limb from limb by the No Kill zealots. New Mexico, Memphis, Austin, Reno, East Baton Rouge, Rockwall Texas, Florida. The list is endless as the march for fame and fortune continues. The animals be damned ! Below is an excerpted insight into Yes Biscuit. If you want further understanding you will need to go directly to her poetry blog which is linked to Yes Biscuit.
"You lean in to kiss me and with precise
subtle movements
pin my arms behind my back.
I am lost in your kiss that keeps promising more
and I don't mind
when you rip my left arm clean off
tossing it onto the hotel awning
I think someone is screaming
as you tear off my right arm
and hurl it onto a parked car
Under normal circumstances
I would be concerned
as a small crowd gathers.
But my head has no room
for thoughts like that right now.
You can feel the blood draining
from my face, growing cold
and you ask if there is anything I want to say.
I press my lips to your ear and whisper,
"As usual, you read my mind."
subtle movements
pin my arms behind my back.
I am lost in your kiss that keeps promising more
and I don't mind
when you rip my left arm clean off
tossing it onto the hotel awning
I think someone is screaming
as you tear off my right arm
and hurl it onto a parked car
Under normal circumstances
I would be concerned
as a small crowd gathers.
But my head has no room
for thoughts like that right now.
You can feel the blood draining
from my face, growing cold
and you ask if there is anything I want to say.
I press my lips to your ear and whisper,
"As usual, you read my mind."
I am not criticizing the writing, or the author's need for violence in her private life. Those are personal choices, but they are a far cry from the person walking happily through the woods with her dogs.
This is not the person I would want deciding who should run a public shelter, or having a say in public policy. As a matter of opinion I wouldn't care to have her living on my block. It does clarify why she thinks dogs on chains with green water are acceptable.
My experience with NHS after Ms. Browns arrival was not inspiring, and the latest numbers leaked are scary. An employee who recently quit updated me with the 800 cats and 300 dogs population in a building designed for 1/3 of that capacity. In Sacramento we may need to euthanize animals, but we don't need to torture them with overcrowding and disease. Let us pray that Memphis recovers from the recent assault, and New Mexico gives this bunch a wide berth as well.
In Christ's love,
Chap.

38 comments:
I'm stunned, as you may know we recently had to give up on the no kill thing, we ended up having to pts several animals. The turmoil and infighting was unbelievable. I do read Yes Biscuit, it is a vat of hatred. All the volunteers who wanted no kill were big followers . Now we read it to see which way the lunatics are pointing their ignorance. You know, like you keep an eye on the crazy dog next door that isn't quite right but keeps getting loose ?
Thank you Chap, your experience of being in a no kill shelter for 2 years has saved a lot of grief. East Baton Rouge will recover, but a lot of animals died after being kept to long.
Good Lord, the poem is a little strange, but it does show the tenor of the people behind this movement. I mean it's a little eratic, I quit reading that blog a while back. I hope the people of Memphis check out the credentials of their critics. I do know the readship changed and many of the good people left when it started getting dangerous. Somebody is going to get hurt when her or her cohort get a really unstable person riled up.
Chap, you left a bunch of it out. I have read all that before and found it incredible. But then the whole mess is pretty strange. Remember when Mike Stark wrote about Winograd wanting to get a massage with his pets because it was
" romantic". I don't know where he found that, but it was similar to this. I clicked on that blog from a rescue blog I used to follow and didn't stay long. I have followed the Memphis thing because it's what they tried to do in King County with the Claire Loeb bunch. Hooks did say that Memphis was not a candidate for No Kill, so they can't be to dumb down there :) It takes courage to stand up and do the right thing even if it's hard. I always wondered why she didn't fix South Carolina. maybe the same reason Winograd can't fix San Francisco. All I could think of reading that was, no wonder she's fascinated by the come along. Notice she always calls it a choke pole ?
I live in Memphis, we are not stupid. We are poor and do the best we can. I volunteer at MAS once in a while and yes some of the people were bad. Mr. Pepper cleaned things up alot while he was here. Some of the Friends are snooty and there is to much fighting, but we do care about our shelter and are really sick of the whole Yes Biscuit gang. I think she may have put in a litte to much baking powder and now her biscuits are messed up. She calls herself a Buddist, well I'm a Baptist, I don't think any religion wants your arms tore off. How did her mind think of that unless it's real ?
Whoa congregation ! I have several comments pending and will get them up. If we are going to consider the merits of no kill we have to look at the population who pushes it.
I don't feel it's mainstream America, but then I am a chaplain. I can tell you this early in the game, none of the personal attacks will be put up. My goal in delving deeper into the push for change in another state is strictly to establish character.
I just went to YB, Like the one lady said it pays to watch the crazy people. I don't think some peole can change. All many of us tried to do was get them to at least look at how many animals come in and where in the heck are you going to keep them. I just saw her last thing where she said there was a dog that if anybody had any info she wanted to " help" If she wants to help why doesn't she walk off a bridge into shallow water ?
Sorry, that didn't serve any purpose. They pull one dog out of 10,000 and give themselves arthritis patting their own backs.
I wondered why everyone on her blog was so hung up on choke poles and kill and saw everything in such a negative light, thanks for clearing that up. I will check out her poetry. After all she did put it up to be read I suppose.
I have followed YB forever, I think it's sort of like smoking crack. You know it's rotting your brain, but you just keep doing it. She does not seem to be welcome or liked in her own state. Her steady readers are from New York, Alaska, Ohio, North Carolina and now a couple from Tennesse. Yep I think I covered all five of her readers. So how can such a bunch of do gooders with to much time on their hands, NOT find something useful to do ? Do they rescue ? ( only Morgana ) do they transport ( without a parade for one dog ) Do they groom or walk animals, nope. Do they keep other people from wanting to go to the shelter ? Absolutely !! Will they ever see or care the damange they do ? A blogger who got invited to a No Kill Conference to be played the fool by stating publicly that chaing a dog to a barrel with green water was okay. Amazing.
You people should have seen what they did to the shelter in Reno. If it were not for all the good people who stayed the course they would have lost the whole dang shelter. As it stands at least one half of it is sanitary. BTW still pushing that little pups on parole out in Carson City. Nice dog, good program, please support it.
Chap way more information than I needed. That is pretty distorted thinking, and no I wouldn't want "that" selecting my shelter director. Dr. Pizano was another casualty of weird thinking. How many good leaders have been harrassed by Winograd and his no kill sicko's. So was Dorinda over in Austin. Abigail is way over her head and her euth dogs are on Craigslist. From Florida, we will survive.
Memphis will never let them take over. The Friends and SOS people will squable but they will not put up with the outside interference. Why don't they have no kill where they live? I can answer that, because it doesn't work. Over time we can educate and get people to spay and neuter their pets, but you are not going to come in here and take over our shelter and impose your standards on us. Maybe they could stop the gassing in their state.
That "poetry" is sickening and it comes from someone who says she loves animals? I've said all along that these "No Kill'ers" aren't animal lovers, they are animal tormentors. If they can think in the terms of this "poem" at all, then it tells a tale. I hope you don't mind but I would like to use this "poem" that you have discovered for a post to show the mentality of these "No Kill'ers".
@honesty helps, the piece you read is an excerpt, I don't think you can publish the whole thing. It's linked to from her website so I am assuming you may find even an better selection than I chose. As I say part of it is missing, but it does appear to be quite public. I agree the mind that could create that is a strange curve.
There is lots of good stuff on there. I think what you posted is pretty tame. Marlboro County appreciates what help they can get and her posting trash was not helpful. Making fun of people is not taking care of the problem. I checked her out after she made us look like hicks.
Thank you for your post. As a recent commenter on YesBiscuit, I find your comments very insightful, though not surprising. I wish more people had seen it at it's height, before the decline in quality of writing and readership. Those were the days when she had her readers in her thrall, all ready to storm the gates and rescue the animals; and if a few humans got in the way, so what? She is ashamed of being a human being herself -she said so in a post.
When the city of Memphis learned to pretty much ignore her,many of her readers left. When the shelters in South Carolina ignored her emails and calls, more left. Yestbiscuit is still dangerous as most fanatic groups are, but most of the comments on her blog consist of angst-ridden cries over the repetitious webcam pictures and and an occasional shake of the finger at the employees at MAS. Of course, there was that small squabble the other day when a serious,but long comment was inserted in the midst of a "name that animal" post, but those things happen.
To tell you the truth, I think they miss Matt Pepper more than we do.
@pah
many of her readers do "walk the walk" and do both rescue and work with reforming their local shelters. When I looked at them as human beings (as I asked them to look at others), there were many of them I would liked to have known and shared stories with. I grant that they have souls, even though according to at least one of them I do not. There are some good people caught up in Yesbiscuit's web of hate; what she has done to them is just as unconscionable as what she did to Matt Pepper.
Welcome Patience, don't think we've met before. I have read most of her earlier writings and all of her attacks both personal and professional on Mr. Pepper. A couple of the Reno volunteers were on there hoping to save some animals by letting her know she had been misled. She did not seem concerned with the truth. I recall your posts among the others, you were the nice one. It's refreshing to know you continue to have faith in some of her readers, the ones I had hopes for all are gone.
Nice to see you here Patience, have you gone to Oreo's. A lot of Memphis is hanging out on the west coast these days. Boy they were sure going nuts trying to figure out who you were. Arlene was the worst. I don't know who you are, but I do think you have given them a credit they badly needed. I don't think they deserve it but I respect your right to. I think what burned it for me was they never knew anything about the dogs, just a poster child for Shirley to rant about.
MAS has a long way to go but tearins something down so you can rebuild it your way is not the answer. It needs to be up to Memphis. I think the whole No Kill movement is about money and perceived power. I follow several blogs and many of the agility blogs think Winograd is okay. But, sure enough after a period of time they find out the truth. A good example is Lessons from Layla about a dog named Luke. I just thought of about 6 more. Anywhere there is writing about dogs this topic will come up. Where are they going to put all the dogs they "save "
Where's Kapone ? That's what finally took me off the roster. Kapone was obviously deceased or someone would have taken the reward. I know the rabble rousers only hoped to stir the pot more with their rhetoric, but they really hurt the family that owned Kapone with their cruel harping. I know them, they were not good about mending fences. They are people, not the irresponible public or the saints who were put upon. Just people. I hope they fix the fence before they get another dog. And no, Kapone was not MAS fault.
@Chap and Southern Belle
Thank you for your welcome and I hope I will be able to read more both here and on Oreo.
About my feelings on the YB'ers: one thing I always tried to emphasize was the humanity of the people at MAS. I wasn't trying to convince her readers, but to stop the hate long enough for a casual reader to stop and think for a second and maybe run away really really fast.
But I couldn't write what I did without trying to feel the same thing about the YB crew. So I read everything that they wrote. I do believe some of them are good caring people whose feelings have been manipulated and twisted so much that they may never recover.It is very easy to pull someone in so far they can no longer see reality. I see this happen all too often in the online world and it makes me sick.
But I'm certainly no angel. I'm sure the 3 ladies who wished me goodbye yesterday will all become atheists at the thought that I might be praying for them. After all, according to them, I have no soul. :)
Living in Reno I am glad to see other areas getting the word before they get took. Saving animals literally and emotionally is a full time job. It's not something you sit behind a keyboard and handle with insults. I hope we get even more readers from Memphis, and I wish Reno had been given a heads up. For those new to us, we are not a No Kill city. the humane society overdosed on ego and literally changed overnight. Now they are begging for people to adopts pitbulls they have had for 3 years. Nobody want's to put an animals down, but the torture of No Kill does make it seem the kindest thing for many of these unadoptable dogs.
Good to see you Chap, glad you got to the balloon races, did you meet up with Oroe?
Hi Chap, jumped on before heading to the SPCA for the morning. Good job on the article and the poem matches some of the sick jokes I hear when I go to pull from NHS, those people are smutty. It's interesting to be around them when your mind is straight and listen to the stuff they spew. Privately in back offices it's all about the numbers. Today I try to select 10 cats from 846.
Glad to see all of our Memphis friends here.I appreciate the true kindness that Patience is showing to the misguided folks at YB. Living with what the did to my former shelter has made me less tolerant. I do believe that once you witness the distruction first hand, you become les charitable. I wish it weren't so, but I have hardened a little.
Hi Chap, slow news day in Sac ? Just being a smart aleck. I know all of us follow what is going on across the country because it will be headed our way. If I were to contribute anything it would be to let the good people of Memphis know that they must let the city leaders know what the truth of no kill is, and how the city will really go broke. There are never any statistics to back up what they claim. The part that kills me is the 'retention' garbage. It's just a long word for keeping animals out. Leaving animals in abusive situations rather than return them to a shelter is just nuts. When I look at some of the intake pictures I wonder how in good conscience they can let the animal to back to that home. So, if they are driving skinny abused animals back to a unfit home, how is that helping? @ patience, I liked the monkey too. Sharon how did you get the picture of the monkey ?
@truckee that was the only time I actually enjoyed posting on Yesbiscuit. For activists, they have the thinnest skin I've ever seen. I was on moderation at the time and the only reason I can figure for her letting me post was that she enjoys watching her followers' heads explode as much as she enjoys destroying strangers' lives. But I never lied. I do like that monkey.
@ spouse all back room talk is about numbers and smut with lots of party types. From Florida to Pennsyvania the same weaknesses are drawn to No Kill. NKN does nothing but take up cyberspace, maybe a "protest" if the weather is good.
You know who really loved the monkey was
" prissed off" I see Sharon wearing the logo now. Lets play pass the monkey if Sharon doesn't care. Oh, welcome to Florida, you are a long way from Sac but close to our goals.
I love PrissedOff if you are talking about the person on CA ! The part of the poem where the author appears to receive sexual gratification from being dismembered would cover her seeing her own illness reflected in others.
Euthanasia is an appropriate word to describe ending a life of pain and misery with injection in a clean safe environment. The new "shock treatment" of kill and chokepole is just to bring out the kneejerk reactions. It sure beats having your limbs tossed into cars and up on awnings. While your face drains of blood of course. Really sicko people but normal for Winograd.
It's important to let all the places being attacked know that there is life after No Kill. There's Tacoma-Pierce, or Seattle. Philly still hasn't recovered and Maricopa will be a long time getting right, but once the lice are removed a healthy pup emerges.
Thank you for posting publicly Austin Cowgirl. Your NFP have been helpful, but only you can speak with authority for how the majority of your animal people see No Kill. You were much healthier before, but the cracks are showing.
@ Patience, if only we could all see ourselves in those around us. Many of us could have become friends, partnering in a better lifestyle for shelter animals. No Kill doesn't want groups or people to talk. Divide and conquer for regime change. I made the picture bigger, which one is the correct monkey, there are two. I'm guessing the one in the shelter. I think we may have had more hate directed toward Dorinda and those of us who fostered than Memphis is getting. It was bad, and the Craigslist dogs really should be put down, they have all failed social interaction or bitten. But, that would mess with their stats. So we churn them out over and over until they are sick enough to pts. To bad Abigail isn't No Kill enough for Winograd, she is more than enough for Austinites (excluding Ryan)
I appreciate your work, but consider the poor cats hidden in the back. They suffer too. Even though I am a cat rescue I care about dogs, it feels like the dog people never mention cats. I pull from Kent shelter, neo-natals mostly. Don't forget us.
Are you a friend of Catmom ? an old blogger friend years back ? She also fosters for Kent. I apologize about ignoring the kitties, they are important. I used to chastise Catmom for leaving out dogs on her blog. Point taken. Truth be told all animals suffer equally from this harsh movement.
I have met Jen at the shelter, but wasn't around for her blog. I heard about it though. he fosters cats too
@Austin Cowgirl sometimes I do see a bit of myself in some of the people on the No-Kill blogs. I count my blessings that I had the curiosity to question and research NKE and the No Kill Movement. Most of the people I see on YB don't seem to have any curiosity at all. For all their blogging on Memphis, few if any, ever check to see what is actually going on here. I don't think Shirley even sees anything that isn't fed to her by a local. Of course, they don't really care about here except for how it will fit in with their version of reality.
I feel for Austin. At least we don't have a Ryan Clinton or FixAustin to deal with in this battle. The local NKs are all pushing a NK lawyer, Scott Kramer, for director. Lack of shelter experience aside, I can hardly see an atheist making it past our City Council(no offense meant to atheists, but Memphis is very churchy).
You have my sympathy. It sounds like such a hard thing to have to live with.
Well, well Chap, you have started a firestorm here. One of our newer volunteers has some strong ideas about how to operate a shelter, at odds of course with policy. It comes out she is a devotee of Mr. Winograd and his somewhat twisted acolyte. Our discussion concerned adopting out sick animals, and life at any cost. As she was preparing to broaden my horizions on FIV a staffer walked by and introduced me as Dr.Gret. Beth was trying to keep the young lady in line discreetly, that was not an option. On finding out I am a retired vet she turned her attack to the medical community at large. I am certain after her release from volunteer work today our shelter will come into Shirly's sites.
I do agree with the opinion you expressed that anyone who builds a barrier of distrust between the public and their shelter causes euthanasia. Animals who are not the top of the adoption scale are often pulled by the people like YB readers while young healthy animals die for time and space. Austin is a mess, and it's all the fault of Ryan and henchmen who have no scruples. The commenter above is fortunate to not have him in Memphis.
Like most on here I have come over YB in various searches and found her to be odd at best, and a menace at worst. My blog has been stagnant for a while because not one of the latest No Kill shelters have stayed open long enough for me to debunk them. Looking over the people on here and Oreo, most do something. Those attack groups can only type. By the by Sharon, Velvet continues to delight me daily. Her days at shelter are heaven on earth for her, and she is a strong ambassador for the breed. GSD's like any German are not tolerant of fools and she goes under my desk when one gets to near. She never warmed to the volunteer previously mentioned. Her disdain was obvious as she lay quietly under the table. Sorry I've not been posting Chap, but I remain your faithful reader.
Greta thats more than I've ever seen you post since we met. Did the poem stir your passions :)
I'm happy that the volunteer who was there to stir the pot was given permission to leave. It's fine to have an opinion, but using a volunteer position to lobby for a an agenda is not acceptable. That is what Winograd does, gets the newbies to front for him and start the fray. When ae you coming to Reno again ?
Update, I've caught up on all the comments. If you are not up, please resubmit with adjustments. An example would be the "sfjb" reference to Winograd. Fun, but not going to make the 5 o'clock news.
Post a Comment