
Miss Priss is still getting comments from the Memphis post, and I think she is trying to say something...
Our common bond is not our foe, but our common goal.
The bickering in the animal wars has gone on forever, only in the past 10 years has it taken a serious detrimental direction. Trash & Bash, Data Dumping, and numbers skewing flakes, have inserted themselves into what was formerly a civil difference of opinion.
Who sets what is an acceptable level of euthanasia, how does one define what is " acceptable" and to whom it must be so ? We feed Eukanuba, but who am I to mandate what you feed ?
Shelter services are a reflection of the finances and demographics served. The ripple effect of No Kill is sending animals requiring euthanasia, to shelters who are staying true to the mission of serving both animals and public safety. We all know that No Kill is not feasible or humane, so why do some groups feel the need to negotiate with a nutjob ? It's the same mentality that causes one to stand mute when a person cuts in line before you. We want to be civil, but bullies are not at all concerned with civility...they only want their way. The animal marketers scream the animals are "living , sentinent beings; having emotions and feelings, they have needs", and yet they market them like stuffed toys. Two for one, Name that Price, Free to Veterans ( or anybody who knows one ) Senior to Senior, give a sick old person a sick old dog; that is sheer genius..
Shelters need to drop the numbers game, turn their back on percentages and set up workable programs for locale and population. Create outreach based programs based in reality. Manage shelter population with the most adoptable getting to the front. Throwing every animal into the adoptable list is how Washoe County ended up with the high rate in 2006 that Winograd is so fond of tossing out. It's true, the NHS director before Bonney Brown was not No Kill, but she did try one of the ideas in No Kill which was to give every dog it's 15 minutes of fame. The bloodbath was awful and made Washoe ripe for Winograds lies. He pranced in and said " ooooooooh look at the dead animals" and the NHS board of directors said "ooooooh they are dead, save us " and promptly tried to clean up the mess with an expansion of the philosophy that caused it. Not every animal is is savable, deal with it. Our rescues are full, the fosters are full, the shelter is exploding with cats, and internally we are dying. Every animal coming into that shelter suffers for people like Winograd and Yes Biscuit. Evil people, who care only about the money and fame from the animals imprisionment.
Miss Priss is trying to make her point...

10 comments:
That was a rough time for your shelter. The admin at the time was another female vet, they called her Dr. Michelle. Her tenure was extrememely short and Mr. Winograd was called without warning. He had been monitoring your new facility. It was the perfect storm for the season. If only Pa. and Lieds had gone even a month soomer there would have been a warning. We were grateful to be rid of him here, not considering the damage he would do elsewhere.
Beautifully said. And every word of it true.
Good post Miss Priss, you look determined to get Dad to listen. I frequently wonder where the people here take the pets they can't keep. They come to us (NNSPCA) after being told to check back next week at NHS. Those are the only ones I know of that could be going to other counties. I hope not poor little Carson City. I believe most are turned in as strays. Sad but true, the stray numbers at WCRAS have tripled.
I troll Craigslist and check up on the dogs listed. I tell them NHS is required by contract to take their animals, yet they have been turned away. I would suggest taking the animals to 9th and Wells to the County Managers office. She is a big fan of NHS maybe she can set up a sattelite receiving area. Even Commioner Jung should be able to keep a couple of bully types for a few weeks until NHS gets room.
There crap puts a lot of pressure on everybody.
Your memory serves you well Gret. Dr. Williams was a nice person and had she been given any warning I know she would have changed policy, it clearly was not working, but she did have the direction from the board to give "every" animal a chance. It worked out poorly for the animals, her and Washoes county.
Well said Oreo. The volunteer initatives have to match the people or it will never work. People who live in an aparment complex are not able to foster dogs normally. But if they learn every area the shelter needs help in, they may have something to offer. I do question the fostering of so many cats when clearly the homes are limited. Same with older pit type dogs who are not realistically placeable. The sad truth is, a shelter doesn't need 1,000 fosters if there are no homes to put them in.
I think you have it right. The following was the response from the No-Kill advocate in our area when our new county shelter was being opened. http://www.blountviews.com/node/483 It wasn't enough to point out the short comings of this shelter, but the groups that supported it were morally questioned. Fast forward to today and that shelter is saving 90% of the dogs and desperately trying to save more than 40% of the cats. If this movement were about saving animals, it would be successful on it's own merits without calling into question others moral compass.
Typical, sadly typical..... a long read but worth it.....
I checked in on Winograd and guess what ? Now he's attacking BF again. I am almost surprised. Oreo, if you have readers in Minnesota urge them to fight CAPA. It is a law that promotes lingering and pain for many animals caught in it's web. It allows shelters to be manipulated from outside by ( untrained ) rescues and people who genuinely mean well but do great harm. It is a big burden moneywise, I know that is not what you're about, but it may help keep it out of Mn.
I stole the name idea from patience. Maybe if I pick a sweeter handle I will become a sweeter poster :) The only common goal in Reno is to cover each other's butts, and that doesn't help the animals. NoKill SPCA pulling from No Kill NHS while everbody is having animal control do the dirty work. Time for a disease outbreak to clear up some kennel space I suppose.
@charity LOL
Patience was the name of my cat. I have very little of my own. I made it through YB by bashing my head against the wall before every post so I could numb my brain and snarling at small dogs and children when I'd log off. I hope you do better. :)
Post a Comment