Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mr. Winograd Loses Again...

He has a conference  in beautiful Downtown Stockton home to 33 animal lovers so far. He is currently flailing away at Dallas and points to Austin as success, which had absolutely nothing to to do with him,  He rattles off a few inane " places over there" He tries to claim 20 pathetic shelters as No Kill winners and while 20 is a sad number, that is a lie as well.  I hope  the New Mexico Pets Alive people won' t be to sad to not have Mitch help  achieve their gilded dreams Mr. Schnieder will not be speaking as the director of WCRAS  March 2012, he has been given the boot.  We are told he is moving downward, we hope it's out, period.  Mitch has been a naughty boy, when his bosses said we don't want no kill, and we don't want you to keep changing the rules without our approval,  Mitch just kept right on.
 Checked YB today, she is after some poor shelter about closing the drop boxes.............everything the nut jobs hate is being done in Reno............limited hours over crowded, no vet on staff, Reno doesn't do pre-sets............Come to Reno and see the ugly face of a Winograd,s failure.

18 comments:

patience said...

It breaks my heart to hear about the cats in Reno - both those at NHS and the ones tossed back into the street. I will dance the "happy dance" when Reno falls, but I will never be able to look at the pictures of what they find.

In Memphis we still watch and wait. YB still casts her baleful eye in our direction, but she is spreading her hate over as many small shelters as she can find on the Internet. Occasionally, her readers surprise her. She railed again against conditions at the Marlboro County shelter, and the commenters suggested sending blankets and money to help!

In a little over 2 weeks, our new shelter opens and the web cams die. While I hope this means a new beginning for MAS, I still feel the urges of the politicians to find an easy, cheap way to get the shelter off everyone's radar. Please keep all your fingers and paws crossed for us.

(Just in case you're wondering, we're not interested in a great deal on a slightly used director)

They Call Me " Chap" said...

@ Patience & Oreo, thanks for the heads up ! Please read the post again. Apparently I'm a little more oxygen dependent than I realized. I had raked some leaves and overdone for my OL without realizing it. Perhaps Mr. Winograd will be tossing me in the pot with Ardena and Randy.
We promise not to send you folks Mitch, but I don't want him in Sac either, what is a poor broken down misguided shelter directer to do for a living these days ?

Kirsten said...

Glad I checked back, I too was worried Chap. Take it easy, my allergies are up so if you need oxygen take it. I keep you open in the corner all day while I work.

Jumpin' Jack said...

I also saw on YB the discussion about drop boxes. I was somewhat surprised considering Ms. Smith did the same thing in Austin when she first took the helm. Maybe I missed if YB identified that facility as well.

http://gretthevetretired.blogspot.com/2011/05/tlac-offers-limited-admission-by.html

Sharon said...

to lazy to log in :0 I have started looking at Memphis and I am really not surprised by the similarites to King County. Chap take care, we need you.

baywatch1greta said...

You know he is a little to close for comfort. I don't even want to see him try to set up his business in California again. To Patience, like many on Chap I have followed Memphis and lost a couple of hours sleep when Mr. Pepper resigned. The more I am reading though the less I feel Mr. Winograd will get traction in your area. Have you a strong volunteer core that can guide your shelter through your move ?

patience said...

@baywatch1greta _ MAS has a small group of longterm volunteers. They are a good group of people. They have been attacked quite often on YB, usually by NK people who have "volunteered" and been kicked out for various nefarious activities. They are in something of a "circle the wagons" mode right now, but they are a very important part of making improvements to MAS.
Mr Winograd gets NO traction in Memphis. Most people try to avoid mentioning his name or the NKM. One YB'er referred to it as a "red flag" on the CA. They're trying to sneak it in by attacking every other alternative- not that too many people have come up with other alternatives. Still waiting on Rotary and HSUS reports. Still waiting on the Mayor. Anything could happen. This is Memphis.

SouthernBelle said...

Where are the reports ? I have been reading another blog "advice from oreo" and the history of the NKM is to first capture the shelter and then work on the public. He doesn't want buy in from the public.
@ baywatch we do have a strong volunteer group, sometimes a little to strong for some people. They work hard and have kept the shelter going, however they are pretty set in their ways. Jeane is for sure not into no kill, I think the YB idiots sealed the fate of no kill in Memphis.

They Call Me " Chap" said...

Stay with Oreo, she is a wealth of information. @ Southern Belle sometimes volunteer groups get carried away and forget they are volunteers. I'm sure if your group knew they presented an image of a clique they would work on that. We need to be inclusive if we are to help the shelters.

graycat said...

Anything can happen. This is Memphis. What prophetic words. The Mayor is being held hostage by Yesbiscuit over a feral dog. YB just announced the city attorney will make the decision by Monday afternoon. Four more days of the dog suffering. Four more days of YB tearing Memphis to pieces. Four more days of hell for those of us who would like to see MAS become a better place.
@baywatch1greta-you think Mr. Winograd doesn't get much traction in Memphis? He doesn't need it. We have a Mayor who is so afraid he'll have to make a hard decision that he'd give the shelter to the lowest bidder if he could get it off his hands.Last night, on TV no less, he said the embarrassment and ridicule the shelter suffered was 'justified'. Mr. Mayor, was the harassment of employees and volunteers justified? The threats against Matthew Pepper, were they justified? The ridicule and embarrassment of your administration? Well, let's not go there.
Who knows what that report from the Rotary Club will say? Well, this is Memphis. Anything can happen.

SuburbanGirl said...

Patience, I don't see the end of the web cams as a bad thing. As a rescuer who spends time there, I personally feel uncomfortable being on them. I worry about the watchers misconstruing something they see me doing in a photo and declaring war on me or my group. I worry they will wait for me in the parking lot or show up at my house or at an adoption event.

It also angered me when I read on YB about MAS treating all the rescue groups "shabbily". I've been rescuing dogs from MAS for almost 10 years now for 3 different rescues, and I've had 1 significant issue with 1 specific staff member. That issue involved someone who is no longer employed there and once I talked to management about the issue, we figured out a way to prevent the situation from recurring.

I'm happy to have found this blog. It's nice to find a place where there can be intelligent discussion and debate about the issues our shelter faces.

They Call Me " Chap" said...

Welcome Suburban Girl. I don't think Patience thinks the webcams being gone are a bad thing either. I am disheartened about Mayor Wharton backing off on this, and the fact that he could sacrifice the well being of staff and animal for what Oreo calls "nutjobs". I do feel his original agreement to the cameras showed a tendency toward appeasement at all costs. It is also my belief having gone back over many of the details of the "raid" that false accusations may have been made.

Debbi said...

AC has lost his mind ! Why are we paying for this crap ? It's our city staff doing the bidding of out of state interests, not for the Memphians. Why don't they clean up SC and leave us the hell alone. Sorry, new to this blog hope mild cursing is okay.

They Call Me " Chap" said...

Mild cursing while not necessary is okay. I understand the frustration and anger, but quiet resistance will win the war.

patience said...

@suburbanGirl - welcome to sanity. And thank you for rescuing.

I can hardly wait for the web cams to die. If I sounded sad about it, I certainly need to improve my writing. Unfortunately, they should have been turned off weeks ago.

The City has turned tail and run from the lady in SC. She has till the end of the day to get the feral dog out of the shelter. Does anyone here think she will thank the city for saving 'her' dog?

I am afraid the blood is in the water now - I have a feeling this is going to be a media event. Please say all the prayers you can that no one gets hurt. This is a hurry-up job run by a lot of amateurs. And its all going to be online.

@chap - appeasement seems to be the new trend in Memphis. And I think you're right about the raid. I think the Mayor is over a barrel now, and Oreo's "nutjobs" know it. It's going to be a hard road ahead.

SuburbanGirl said...

I'm still hopeful the city attorney will put a stop to the feral dog situation. It sets a bad precedent and opens the door to dangerously aggressive dogs being released to "rescuers" who don't have the slightest idea how to work with them. It's such a huge liability risk for the city to release this dog that a behaviorist (not sure who she is/what her credentials are) has already deemed aggressive.

The court case drags on because any good attorney could rip holes in it. The problem isn't what the necropsy report shows, but what it fails to rule out. There's an absence of food in the GI tract, but was there a presence of inflammation that would be indicative of disease? Lack of food in the GI tract doesn't equate to no food being offered. None of the people charged had direct supervision over those responsible for feeding the animals, and the idea that anyone would single out a specific animal or animals to intentionally not feed day after day... "hey Bub, remember we're not gonna feed that little tan dog anymore" just isn't a scenario I can picture.

Patience, I may have just misread... these crazy weather shifts give me migraines. Or maybe crazy anything gives me migraines.

The big question is how do we get any qualified and realistic person to consider becoming the administrator at MAS. Or if any other city facing this same dilemmas we face here. Come to Memphis where your work duties will include being mired in city/county bureaucracy with a side order of death threats.

Kevin said...

To all of you in Memphis, keep the faith and hope going. I don't see how anyone would want to go anywhere near a situation where the government tries to negotiate with irrational idiots, but this is a tough economy. Best advice would be to go through a head hunting agency and have the city gov make a pre contract agreement. To a large extent this is beyond your ability to change because the politicans don't take it sereiously. We had the same issue in Washoe County for 3 years until we nearly lost the whole building. Notice they are not saying Winograd or No Kill publicly anymore, they are on the run.

They Call Me " Chap" said...

Good input from both Suburban and Kevin, the city of Memphis giving a nod toward the pot stirers made it worse. Similar to trying to put a tantrum out quietly in Walmart to save face. No is a complete sentence and should be used more frequently.