As we sit here on the "left coast" as some back east think of us, I realize how very much alike we true animal lovers are. All of us out here have joined the caring people of Memphis in the watching of the webcam absurdity. The reason I reposted the YB article is because it was true and needed to be said, however anymore comments that are hateful at Shirley will be deleted, as a matter of fact all anon comments will be deleted without being read. No time for silly games here.
For two and one half hours the Memphis shelter has been brought to a halt at the whim of simple minded people who once again are killing animals. The stray area remains empty, no animals receiving care, owners forced to wait, dogs not evaluated, all for poor crazy little Shirley. The wire cage standing sentinel in the hall bears testimony to the fact they know little of animal behavior in general, and are without a doubt totally uniformed about handling a feral over 8 pounds.
I don't like to assume, that is for the No Kill peddlers, but a reasonable suposition might be that the dog has been sedated, however if that were the case, it should have taken effect by now.
I would suggest that the maker of the unreasonable demands be charged for the full complement of staff and resources they have made unavailable to the public. After all if they want a private shelter, they should pay for it. The city staff who authorized the release should be held accountable as well, it was a bad call for a bad reason. You cannot appease a terrorist, the city should have learned that from Pepper's untimely resignation. It has been 40 minutes since the little blankie appeared atop the crate, those annoying little people should be required to stand there and watch the kennel, same as the staff being paid by the taxpayers. How many staff are being held hostage on this fools errand ? Most assuredly if the dog is not taken they could be sued for misrepresentation of intent. They have cost the city 17 days of boarding, placed tremedous burden on staff and caused the death of many animals by keeping people from coming to MAS.
I do feel Meows and Bow Wows, no matter who is causing them to do the deed, should be held responsible.
In Christ's love,
The Chap

24 comments:
It's over, and I am heartbroken that Memphis allowed the helpless feral to fall into the hands of people of little conscience and less brains. I suppose now it will go to a " rescue" where it can be tormented until it's destroyed in spirit if not body. Why did anybody from that shelter even deal with the No Kill group, they have to know they are all about themselves. I don't even blame the shelter, I don't think anything they have encountered before could have prepared them for the evil these people represent. I have read YB for a long time and watched her become more and more out of touch with reality, but this is animal cruelty. This is not about Memphis or it's people, it's what happens to decent people all over this country when the dilusionals land nearby.
How flippin' insane to release that dog to people who have no idea of how to care for it. It will be a danger to neighbors and anyone else it gets near. I hope the decision makers who thought this one up have a little trouble sleeping tonight. After all it could be you walking your dog on leash when somebody elses "pet feral" comes up and kills your dog. Good job of communnity endangerment Memphis.
Word on the street is Courtney came down to offer her expertise and got nailed a couple of times. I am happy MAS didn't get more involved with the crating of the dog. Had they done that and something went wrong the lawsuits would have been flying.
I do hope this is a lesson to staff and elected officials to stop trying to get along with what you generously refer to as "fringe loonies"
That poor dog should have been put down at once, not kept in terror for over two weeks because some loonie in SC got a burr up her butt.
To be kept like some sideshow freak is all that poor dog has to look forward to, so arrogant aholes can pull her out for display to raise money. Shirley and her crew of idiots have gone from something to be pitied for their ignorance to be something to be despised for their cruelty.
Good reporting Chap, I talked to Oreo and she will write about it later. I am glad they stuck to their guns about not helping with the dog. Maybe the next time SC wants to order up a dog like a pizza they may realize there is more to it than that. From what Oreo has heard the YB post at 4:55 is pure bull. There was no dog whisper sitting with your back doing submissive. The dog was toweled, Jan got bit twice and they jammed the dog in the crate. Doesn't sound to me like CM was in attendance. I pray the group of miserable old biddies sitting on their collective keyboards in SC live with the horror of what their stupidity did to drag out that animals agony. Thanks Biscuit, you really rock :(
Thank you to all who watched with us. YB is celebrating their victory and most of the city of Memphis is still unaware that Mari exists. That will change soon. I am sure that whatever embarrassment and ridicule the city receives will now be TRULY justified,as will all the other criticism we get. I followed YB all throughout this morning's drama; they complained constantly about how the MAS employees were not helping them. Not only do they expect the city to lie down and let them walk all over us (a big thanks to all who made that possible), they want us to shine their shoes while they do it. We can expect more of the same from all the new readers who will be pulled in by such an uplifting story of David defeating Goliath and rescuing the cute dog(although their ignorance, arrogance and incompetence almost 'screwed the pooch', both literally and figuratively).
I hope someone in the city admin has learned a lesson or two from this, but I'm not holding my breath. I imagine their beautiful Saturday has been ruined though. I can't wait to see how they explain this one to the taxpayers.
She is a dangerous lady, a little on the feral side herself. And her followers, bent and twisted as some of them doubtless are, have tasted the power of making the mighty bend to their will. They'll want more. Underestimate her at your peril, Mr.Mayor. Sorry, I guess that statement comes a little too late, doesn't it?
And turn those web cams off. Turn them off now.
Well good to know I wasn't watching alone. I missed the final act. Took my own healthy well adjusted dogs for a walk and thanked God for the privlege. Here at Oreo's we are beyond sad, How did the people of Memphis lose control of their shelter ? Before you judge anyone, learn more about the facts. These attackers are professional instigators. No shame, no sense, no compassion. They were fixated on getting their way, it was never about the dog for them and the No Kill nutjobs in Memphis are as evil at Shirley ever thought of being. Meow and Bow Wows, just earned a shady spot in hell for their part in what is happening at MAS.
The webcams have opened the devils door, however the City of Memphis failed to close it smartly in their faces. @Patience and other concerned Memphians, this is really only a big event to those of us in the field. As I have dealt with the insanity of Washoe County and trying to keep it from following me to Sac, I've learned that shelter stuff gets 45 seconds of the 5 o'clock news. It's forgotten before after dinner coffee is served.
That Shirley and her Winograd followers are mongers of suffering didn't really need further proof, but she appears ever happy to make a fool of herself. Since I cut my teeth on Bonney Brown, nothing has ever seemed quite so professionally cruel as NHS, but YB could be applying for the job. Pull together Memphis, please don't eat your own over this. It would make Mr. Winograd very happy. If he can get you to hate each other and your leaders, he will have won. You don't want that.
I watched much of today's events on the webcam via one of the computers in the shelter. The question of "who's paying for all this?" was asked, but of course we the taxpayers are paying for it. The stray area was locked down during the time this fiasco played out for safety reasons yet the YBers complain that dogs haven't been fed on time. And the general public who came out to adopt today couldn't have been more oblivious to the happenings. For that I am thankful.
MAS was in the spotlight when I first started rescuing. This too shall pass eventually just like it did before. The terrorists lose interest and find new targets. I've lasted through 3 directors and 4 interim managers/directors, but never before today have I seen such insanity as this.
On the bright side, I am familiar with Lise's work with feral dogs, and I can say that she knows her stuff. I used to follow her blog about her work in post-Katrina New Orleans. I just hope she has a strong BS detector to deal with those who will likely try to direct her efforts from behind their computer screens.
Yesterday during the feral dog debacle it was noted that there were some critters seemingly to need a home. They were sitting in an area not caught by the webcams, so they may be missed over. Here is a description in case anyone wants to adopt "something" not on the webcam:
Semi-sweet seniors needing homes as they had nothing better to do than sit in a shelter lobby all day: All three seem to have quirky personality problems. One has been well fed and has an affinity for sequin tops regardless of occasion; one needs a total makeover and it steals big cheezy jewelry; and one seems a tad bit snippy, never smiles and seems very bitter. Not sure about being feral, but could be. It is possible that with the right training they would be lovely pets in time. A Cage or trap may be needed for the protection of anyone who comes in contact, but that too with time might improve. Only time will tell. It is rumored that feeding a Biscuit to any of the three has a calming effect. Hopefully they will find the appropriate help they need to prepare them for the normal world. Just remember if you try to help, start with a Biscuit that is their normal diet followed with a Kool Aid in a new flavor of no-kill. Hope someone can help them.
@eye witness, it sounds like you are having fun with an old man ? Could your adoptables be Carolina Curs? They are known for a nasty dispositon and a tendency to bite the hand that feeds them.
@ Patience I think you are right. The average person is going shopping and playing golf or anything thing besides sitting glued to the webcams. Please AC take the cameras down and keep the idiots away from Memphis
What in the world are people like Dot Kirby going to do when the webcams are gone? She posted on the biscuit (ham and cheese perhaps)she keeps two monitors going so she won't miss a thing. She seems to watch all her waking hours asking permission from Shirl the Pearl to have lunch. When the webcams go off (shortly please Lord) maybe they will realize there is life beyond the monitor. That is unless Shirl the Pearl can find another shelter with real time stream. Maybe we need to go over to the biscuit and post new hobbies they can take up. A basic logic course in continuing education comes to mind. Reserving three seats now for Shirl the Pearl, Dot the spot and Nathan the bacon.
Dear friends, let us pray the webcams will be going over the "Rainbow Bridge" very quickly.
This is not a local story anymore. Comments on the FB page of ARNO and Olympic Animal Sanctuary are coming mostly from their supporters, not from YB. Whether you think good or ill of what these groups do, they are groups used to creating publicity to garner donations. One can only hope that they will shove YB to the backburner to bump up their profile in the rescue. Unfortunately for Shirley, Mario may be "their" dog, but he is in the hands of others who may not take kindly to interference. Hopefully, this will become a "happy tail" with not too much emphasis on "conditions" at Memphis.
Unfortunately for us, Mario turns out to be the Robert Downey Jr of the dog world. He may have many problems and look to be down and out, but put him in front of a camera and he puts on an Oscar winning performance. I wonder if Whole Foods has already asked him to do a commercial for them yet?
The web cams need to come down now. The next two weeks are going to be rough enough as we find out if this story has "legs". YB is going to be trying her best/worst to get a big finale to put pressure on the city to keep the webcams. Without them, she's just another hate blog.
We're very close to the end with the web cams. Just a few more days til they will just be a bad memory. Until then though I think maybe I'll see what scandals I can create by wandering unsupervised in the forbidden zone while the YBers watch.
There's a big push now to move all of the dogs and cats at MAS currently available for adoption into temporary foster homes at least until the new shelter opens. How many of the local YB followers will step up?
@Suburban Girl: they don't any dog or cat they can't raise #$^^ about. That would be way too easy. "Help" is NOT on their radar. It is not about any animal, it is about how much havoc they can create getting then animal and how right they can be. The animal is the by-product of tantrums. If it were about the animal, they would come in just like the "average" people and pick one out and leave. Oh no!! They have to start a rage with a band of followers who will then throw money at them for their heroic deed. Then they all post for days and pat each other on the back for the deed well done. Look at the Friends of the Memphis Shelter Facebook page (that title should get you close). I have been told they are responsible for about 60% of the adoptions. What do they do? They just keep on plugging along with no huge accolades for what they do. That is good work. Take a look it is interesting.
I have been toggling between the screen grabs and the pictures from ARNO. Does anybody but me think that is not the same dog?
@patience, if you look far enough back on the ARNO Facebook page in the comments under a post asking for help in Memphis on 10-29 at 1:29 you will see the response of people in NO about taking in the dog from Memphis while local dogs are being denied! It was one of those exchanges that makes you laugh!
I have not seen much on the news as of yet in reference to this. I am not sure that everyone even in the animal loving community here (not the NK folks, those of us who are just every day animal lovers who care) will feel that much torment over a feral dog. I kind of hate to put it that way, but lets be honest. I do not live in the city but in one of the bordering counties, so a rural idiot to the YB clan. I can tell you honestly that 9 out of 10 people I know would not look at a feral dog and think "he just needs good rehab, and he will make a great pet!"
I so wish that I could get just one more comment onto the YB board. I would ask them to quit asking for Memphis to "keep the cameras up". The cameras are staying up! The feed will just not be available for people like Dot Kirby to wring her hands over all day long. The oversight will be there, just not in the hands of people unqualified to interpret it! But I forget, they are all experts on everything. Post a step by step plan or a you tube video and these guys would be ready to perform by-pass surgery!
I know many readers feel as you do Georgia, and if they will post using a moniker I will put them up. With all the healthy animals that may or may not have personality quirks, spending this much effort and money on animal with a poor chance of ever being truly loved is sad.
The group who represent the NKM seem obsessed with self. A poor use of their own time and everybody else's. BTW, I think Oreo may be starting 12 step program for recovering YB commenters :) We all seem to be be getting kicked off. I have not ever posted there, should I start now?
For the love of Christ
Chap
Chap I have a fairly simple question that I would like answered and seem to be having problems finding it on my own. To be a NK shelter, they must save 90% of "adoptable" animals, correct? So the math would be as follows:
(Total animals - unadoptable) X 90%
But, it seems that all I read is about shelter that kill X% of intake (total animals). I know that does not magically change any argument, but it does skew percentages. Doesn't it?
There is a lawsuit pending right now against Palm Springs that just may determine this arbitrary 90% number's origin. We have high hopes once this gets into court of striking down this number as a requirement to call oneself "No Kill". You cannot apply a standard to shelters as far as "live release rate". Some shelters serve affluent communities where people alter their pets and redeemed them from the shelter if they happen to end up there. Some shelters are in the low income areas, less spay/neuter, less cooperation from the community, fewer owner reclaims. Are they to be judged by the same standard of 90%? Feedback from other shelter directors in that area is positive, they are happy it is getting into court.
The real danger from the anarchy of No Kill is the willingness of other jurisdictions to set guidelines for anothers shelter population.
And that is just what will come out in this court case. Most shelter directors cringe at the thought of a shelter being taken into court, but they aren't cringing at this one. And the very reason is what you stated, Chap, you can't set guidelines for another shelter's population.
Hail to the gods: The webcams at the Memphis Shelter are officially of as of about 30 minutes ago! What will stale biscuit do now? Without pictures she will be a twit. Oh wait, she is anyway!!
Post a Comment