Computer issues forced a temporary closing. My sincere apologies to anyone inconvenienced with our sudden departure. Our beloved friend Oreo passed away and I wanted to do a tribute to her, but the time for that has come and gone. We took a drive over the hill to Reno to check out the huge adoption event put on by my (former) NHS comrades. It was held in a casino parking lot comprised primarily of vendors . The animals were poorly presented, and the impression was, very few found homes. My daughter's background is in merchandising, we made a holiday of the trip and she went along. Her comment "even a fire sale. without shoppers is useless" was a sad but fair description. The focus was on animals looking for homes and all the rescues turned out, but few adopters. There were dogs tied out which is against the law there, but no enforcement. In the past we volunteers were asked to walk the dogs through the crowd, now some are tied to posts etc. It presented a real threat to the small toddlers dragging behind tired parents. The dogs themselves were in danger because there was no escape if approached by another dog'
Desperation is causing rescues to get very sloppy. My grandaughter must have felt my disgust as I was mumbling a prayer to myself. She asked if Baby Jesus loved Mr. Winograd too, I told her not if he knew the whole truth. Good question for me to take to my knees tonight.
I have asked myself how can a person who considers himself a good Christian, who works with the most sordid of prisoners, carry such fury. I don't believe an animal life has more value or innocence than a human, yet there is an overwhelming disgust at just the mention of the man's name.
Mr. Winograd was there, I am positive it was him. He walked among the vendors and shook hands introducing himself . I had the feeling he was working the crowd.
There have been rumblings in Sac about the push for statewide changes to more humane treatment of shelter pets. I am keeping a steady eye to the northern section. All things from SF are to be scrutinized.
After 3 weeks of saying " For the love of Christ ! " it's a relief to sign off with
In Christ's love Chap.
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Do any readers know the name of the Patty Ruland articles about Winograd. She is not in Austin and I can't find the articles on line ?
Kevin, I ran a search and came back with " Does Austin Need Fixing?" It was 2008 and there was a second story somewhere by Ruland on the Austin situation. It was in 2008 and was followed by the Barc Sucks story by Malisow. It is long but informative.
Austin did get rid of Dorinda Pulliam as they had worked with Winograd to accomplish even when I was still at NHS. Abigail Smith took the Austin position and I hope Dorinda joins rank with the other wrongly terminated shelter directers from ACC's across the country, and sues the devil.
Chap
I wanted to give an update. I know many don't like HSUS, but considering the alternatives, I stand behind HSUS.
The good news is Texas has declined the insane CAPA language from the Winograd movement. Now if the east coast will just formally back away instead of hiding what they are doing, we can get back on track.
Houston has been attacked by no kill before and they know better than to let the crazies out of the attic. Good job Texas !
Chap, Got a link to your blog from a friend. I started my own blog on my issues with NKE. Here's the link.
http://squirrelsnnuts.blogspot.com/
Welcome squirrels & nuts.
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/04/14/18644737.php
The above link goes to another post by a student attending a lecture by Winograd. I found it somewhat sad, but probably true. The author was Squiggly the cat" If animal welfare is ever to be on the front burner, it must become credible.
Holly, CAPA will be DOA when it reaches GA
Good news that Georgia is wise to the tricks of the game.BTW I am Holly from Sacramento, not the Holly that released the pitbull that got slaughtered. I'm not trying to pass judgement on her, but she is the no kill SPCA in Reno. Our rescue is very sharp about home checks and we don't have to play the donations game. I don't want maddie's money. I don't think Maddies would approve of how some using their name are using the money. I have been blasted for only pulling Queenslands. The way to a sucessful rescue is know your breed and your limitations. My hero is KCACC from Oreo's, she will go 500 miles to get an adoptable dog. Is Advice back on track after losing Oreo? Sorry you got hit Chap, good to have you back.
It was heart wrenching to watch the coverage of the Cooney's Law. I did feel sorry for that Holly, she made a judgement call and it backfired. I pray she carries the message back to her boss that there must be guidelines. I think doggie dreams pass me by on Oreo's should be required reading for all adoption managers.
Hey Chap, our bill went through the committee, it looks very solid to clear the assembly floor. I will be writing about it on Oreo when we are done. Gloating is not gracious.
Greta came up from SF and we sat in on one session, but were not there for the vote. She said Winograd is nailing me again. Haven't gone there for a while. Still miss my Oreo, but we're continuing with Priss at the helm. @Holly from Sac, don't judge our Holly, anyone putting a dog out there is subject to the same thing. You do your best and sometimes it just goes haywire. I don't know Holly personally but understand she is really a good person who got fooled.
I wanted to let the group know that is a good link to the hound guy. We are all a lttle edgy about virus and bad links. Seems like a genuine fellow with a deep love of his hounds. I had followed up after Oreo got word that Nathan was attacking her again. She really should sue the bastard. Not very christian of me Chap, but Winograd can bring out the beast. The good thing is he hates so many people he's not believeable. Any word on whether or not the BCC is going to get the SOP updated ?
It's reassuring to know there are sane and civilized animal lovers out there and we can agree to disagree. Our infighting has hurt us in the legislature, it will be the way we lose the animal war. I think it should be like Monopoly, anybody remember that game. I'll give you spay/neuter for one free pass on pet limits. Maybe I could trade TNR for licensing. We have to begin to adjust and compromise.
We all agree the other fellow should give an inch. I am coming to believe that only people who have served time in a big no kill shelter can speak with authority. Rescues as wonderful as you all can be, still have the option of saying no. I have never been to Philly or Indianapolis, but my experience in Reno tells me the stories were true. It can look good on paper, but when you see the dog who has been caged for 2 years it's ugly. The cats sitting like lumps in a box. Mostly it's the dogs you know will never find a home and they are there day aftr day.
Here's the link for the Patty Ruland story. http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2008-10-31/696455/
And here is the link for Craig Malisow's article in Houston.
http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-01-29/news/barc-sucks/
Thank you Honesty Helps. We must really let people make a decision with all the information.
Post a Comment