Saturday, February 19, 2011

Animal Cruelty and Heart Attacks..

Coming out from a brief medical retirement.  I keep talking about retirement, but there always seems to be one more obstacle.  God finally got my attention with a heart attack. 
I don't really believe Cooney's case gave me a heart attack, I do believe the stress of dealing with this horrible, horrible gang of thugs has taken it's toll on all decent people.  I have been corresponding with another former NHS volunteer and the conditions are deteriorating quickly at the Nevada Humane Society.  With Bonney Brown and Mitch Scheider joining forces to make one incredible screw up.   During my time with The Nevada Humane Society, I thought I had seen every stupid blunder and inadvertant cruelty, but they continue to amaze me. Now Mitch and Bonney are are both turning away dying animals..  That enough for me, I must rest.  The new ordiance being proposed in Washoe County is full of No Kill garbage and must be stopped.  I met some fine people when Oreo took me to a meeting up there right before I got sick. .  I hope they get the truth on the internet.
In Christs Love
Chap

12 comments:

lurchmom said...

I am sorry for your difficulty and I miss your posts. The followers of WinoGOD never fail to turn on the charm - here is my current contribution- http://yesbiscuit.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/can-we-really-save-every-healthytreatable-shelter-pet-in-america/ . I am 'lurchmom' in the comments.....

They Call Me " Chap" said...

Dear lurchmom
your comments were excellent and it was a brave battle you put up. Perhap's an old chaplain should join you there? I have a friend Oreo who lives in Reno and deals with the wretched behavior of the Nevada Humane Society where I used to volunteer. No Kill is a nasty ugly thing to live with and clean up after. I am well for the moment, and plan to continue the fight.
In Christs Love,
Chap

They Call Me " Chap" said...

http://ricknbaby0076.blogspot.com/
This is the link to Oreo's blog, she is sometimes closed when the loonies start attacking her blog, but I believe she is open right now.
Chap

lurchmom said...

Thanks Chap,

Seems we have shut up a few on the comment line of the article. :) I had read some of Oreo's stuff before she disappeared last time. Will check the link again!

lurchmom said...

Well, Sheldon and I got a reprimand on the Yesbiscuit comments! Seems the writer thinks we have an 'agenda'!
Gee, maybe Winograd and his peeps are really great, caring, intelligent heroes, and we have it all wrong.....and maybe Charlie Sheen will get 'Employee of the year' award too....! :)

Happy Camper said...

Well I have been cruising around the web and it looks like things are getting noticed. Cooney is just the tip of the iceberg on these bad adoptions. She may be the most highprofile at the moment.but if the man hadn't been so crazy and took her back.....just another no name, dead dog on the street. Heartbreaking.

They Call Me " Chap" said...

Nice to have you here Lurch Mom, I will have to check out yesbisquit and see what trouble you two imps got into. Sheldon is one smart fella, I met him while volunteering up there. He and his wife ran a rescue for years and finally could not stand the dealings with Bonney and crew. He posts on Oreo often. I still think her blog is the best on the net, but do you have one I could check out ? God's Grace to you in your continued efforts,
Chap

lurchmom said...

I don't have a Blog, I am too busy running my own Rescue. I do have my Facebook 'fan' page- Rocky Ridge Refuge. I try to keep it upbeat, but also informative, and I have worked in some 'No Kill' truth along the way. I am presently revamping my outdated website (www.rockyridgerefuge.com). I think first gaining the respect of animal lovers and rescue peers by sharing my work and experiences, is vital to opening their minds when it comes to the tougher subjects and truths I want to help them discover.

Workerbee said...

The majority of the pets in City shelters should not be returned to their owners. If they had good loving homes, their owners would be proactive and find their pets without the shelter having to track them down. It would cost a tremendous amount of time, resources and energy to locate owners not looking for their pets. Then when you find them, after you've spent an inordinate amount of resources, you learn they do not want the pet back.... so are you better off? I think not. I wish it were the case where every stray had a "decent" home to return to. I wish the pregnant German Shepherd abandoned in an alley had a decent owner. I don't think he wants her back... that's why he dumped her where she most likely would not be found. People like this should not be allowed to own a pet. It should be changed to where owning a pet is a privilege and not a given right. Animals are cheap and easy to come by. So people take them in and get rid of them. If it were more costly and more was required to be a pet owner, people may think twice. Mandatory spay / neuter laws are the only way to make a significant difference. I would hate to think I returned a dog to an owner who was less than interested in having the dog returned and then having the dog end up with a broken leg, head injury or dead because the owner took it out on the dog for being returned.

Workerbee said...

That comment is borrowed from another blog I was cruising. Too good not to repost. No Kill leaves the animals on the streets or returns them to owners who really don't give a damn.

Alyssa said...

I went to the Rocky Ridge Refuge site. It is a good life to live for lurchmom and her animals. Are you or Oreo going to give any news about the commission meeting. Did Greta come up from SF ? Advise people how to find it online. I still work for WC so need to keep my IP off the website.

They Call Me " Chap" said...

I found several emails in the spam folder of the new improved blogger, so I hope nobody has given me up for good. Better late than never !! I will let Oreo post about the event, I was unable to drive up from Sac, I don't know if Greta made it or not. Sheldon lives up there, and I think he has a blog somewhere.