Our family will be serving at the 9th street shelter and look forward to meeting new friends. I don't expect any time to write between now and then, and wanted to wish all my readers a blessed Thanksgiving. At the shelter we are preparing for the the sad tide that always return between Thanksgiving and Christmas. There's not a solid reason for the influx but it happens regularly. My thoughts would be the added stress of the upcoming holiday season and lack of patience.
We have had a large number of hits from the south Florida group and hope you will comment on the recent seminar . It looked like a small turnout, perhaps 100 people, Do continue to visit our blog and others that decimate the truth. I diagree with some of the flaming that goes on at the news story level. I have learned that the loudest and most offensive are the least informed. Of course some are trolls who like any parasite, come to feed but may stay to learn. I received a wonderful email from a person who was at the Indianapolis Shelter under Doug Rae, and witnessed the carnage there, and I read on another blog that two of the midwestern no kill shelters have started to turn away owner surrenders.
It is usually after animal lovers have lived through the tragedy that they contact us. Where are these animals to go? For readers who have not stumpled upon Gretthevetretired, I recomend it strongly. It's comprised solely of actual websites that show the intake policy of the supposed no kill shelter. Pushing animals off on another shelter is not creating a no kill community. That is transfering the problem.
This time last year I was part of the problem, placing animals hastily out the door, one promotion at a time, two weeks later they were right back. As much as I want to see these creatures find a home, this is not a good time of year to adopt without a strong strategy in place. These are not your parents shelterdogs, they are very different from the dogs of my youth.It is only fair to adopt them understanding the care and time they will take.
ps. to the reader with the question on webpage privacy, when anyone clicks on this site, the IP number and information appears in a small box on my monitor. It's never sold, strictly a protection mode for those of us who are doing our best to help animals.
Christ's love to you,
Chap
Friday, November 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I disagree with reducing adoptions during the holidays. I think stupid people will always be out there and it's the job of the adoption counselors to screen them out. Obviously if some person comes in with a boatload of kids and is stressed, and getting the kids a puppy to entertain them before Christmas; don't give them a pet. Otherwise send them out the door.
@ Cole David, people are not ready for most of these animals that are being pushed out the door. These are unsocialized, not housebroken often broken dogs. Christmas is not the time to bring one home. I know many of the dogs from the hobo camp that got busted were back at NHS and up for adoption the next day. These dogs had been running wild in the city and playing on the railroad tracks killing small animals to eat. Now they are in the suburbs with someones toddler, dangerous.
Post a Comment