My wife and I drove over to the East Bay today to check out their shelter, excellent facility; We went over their policies with them, and chatted with several volunteers as well as staff. Their approach to no kill was refreshing. Like ordinary citizens, they don't want to kill animals, but they are moving in a positive direction to save them. The discussion rambled along the horrible economic conditions existing right now, abandoned homes and families forced to give up beloved pets.They feel as we did that it's important to understand that not every pet can be saved, no matter how admirable goal may be.
When the shelter becomes no kill it reaches the saturation point quickly and then is forced to turn away animals. The animal then goes to the nearest open admission shelter, which doesn't put down because it's a kill shelter. It puts it down because it doesn't have any space. The slandering of good animal care and control agencies continues to be a problem, and a tool used frequently by the No Kill Advocacy Center. They don't have a solution, but they can whine more than anybody I've ever had the pleasure of not meeting! We lost four dogs today at our shelter in Sacramento that I have already bonded with, that was not easy. But, the truth is, they were beginning to self-destruct; and if an animal hasn't been placed in six months. Its chances for successful adoption are very slim. I wish that weren't true, but it is. We all hear the stories about the amazing animal that survived six years in the cage, and when rescued saved 12 drowning children while putting out a house fire. The need for mythbusters on no kill is simply this. It keeps animals in harsh conditions and causes other animals that haven't had a chance to be adopted, to die. How many animals were turned away, while one pitbull languished for eight months? And that amount of time, is generous, because it's often quite a bit longer.
This may really offend people, but having spent a life working with prisoners and people who have lost their way; I've learned two things. Not every creature can be rehabilitated, and some things are genetic. We don't take a child with down syndrome and try to force it into a " normal" lifestyle; not because child is not worthy, but because the basic skills are just not there to develop. I'm using this analogy because my niece is a down syndrome person, and she has a good life; but she doesn't have a normal life. Some of these prisoners, and some of these animals, carry their own genetic defects and because of the nature of their defects, their outlook is bleak. I'm a man of the cloth, but I believe in the death penalty; I vowed not to quote the Bible here, but I will simply say it is the eye for an eye thing. I have noticed many of these no killer's are childless, and seemingly no God. They seem to use animals in an abnormal relationship. And I'm not suggesting beastialty or any type of perversion sexual in nature. It appears they're unable to enjoy human companionship' and turned to animals for comfort or an attempt to feel better than .Even with a minor in psychology, I have never been able to understand the mind that cannot connect with its own species.
Crazy cat ladies? Probably closer to the truth than we care to look at. If we continue to lower the bar at the shelter's we will be releasing sick crazy vicious dogs and where do you think they will go? I think we're already doing that.
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
There is definitely a problematic relationship between the no kill mentality and the animals caught in their web. It's almost as if the animals were hostages were created just to fill the needs of the sick person. Who needs 80 cats? Who needs 45 dogs?. People who don't feel good about themselves often surround themselves with voiceless creatures; it's the only way they can feel halfway equal. I've noticed on the Winograd blog, they never accept input from many of the readers. Although reading the stats that were published by one of the commenters on earlier post I can see that most of their readers are bounces. A bounce is a site visit that is less than one minute, and 72% of Mr. Winograd's visitors are bounce. The rant just wears them out. It's emotional abuse delivered via the eyeball. Keep up the good work Chap.
Winograd's program has allowed those with these problems to be even more so. This article points to this hoarder getting her animals from PACCA, the miserable failure of the "No Kill Equation" program, as well as the PSPCA who is caught up in the same program. http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/98486694.html
"She disputed the PSPCA's figures on the number of animals seized from her home, andWilliamson confirmed that Federov had helped foster kittens for the PSPCA.Federov said she had taken dogs from the former PACCA to save them from being put down."
The PSPCA BUSTED ONE OF THEIR OWN FOSTER HOMES!!!
Here's another note in Philly who adopted Winograd's program as to the rise in hoarding after adopting the program. The time line fits.
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/20100720_Hoarding_grows__and_TV_takes_note.html
"In Philadelphia, the number of large-scale animal hoarding cases went from one every six months in 2004 to one or two each month now. And the suburbs are not immune."
No Kill is not a myth, it is a hoax. It was developed by mental patients who haven't been diagnosed yet.Cruel crazy people who are unable to let go and understand the damage they do. I have feeds on several animal blogs and the one from Reno shows the cat people there trying to raise money to buy more cages, to store more cats ! I don't go to Reno, but looking at petfinder tells me that they are overloaded. and they are always giving away animals. Time to do some sad, but sane sorting. I don't like to lose animals, and that is another reason I help in areas away from the shelter. I can't deal with it and I know that. But, I raise funds; and urge public support for our City Shelter. We all do what we can.
Thank you Karen, we need all the help we can get.I read the article about getting more cages and began to pray for the animals who would be in them for months on end. I am looking into more community involvement for getting our animals more " out time"and even if they are to be put down to guarantee a decent quality of life until that day. It was not that Christ died on the cross, we all will lose loved ones, it was the cruelty that preceded the act.
Chap, that hit me about the cruelty that preceded the act.
Karen, what we need to strive for is raising the VALUE of animals in today's society, actually making it harder to obtain animals, not easier. We have a disposable society as is and free only means disposable. Free means that a pet will probably never see the inside of a vet's office. Free means buying the cheapest dog/cat food. We need to be thinking of better adoptions which equate into better quality of lives. Better adoptions means fewer animals back in the shelters. Better adoptions means putting people thru the mill with training, wait times, etc. If you work for something, you appreciate it more, if it cost you to get it, you take better care of it. Save a life only to have it live a crappy life is not what we want to do.
I cannot pull up my Google account. But I have been a regular follower of No Kill activities since King County was invaded by Nathan Winograd 3 years ago. I was an acolyte of Cat Mom and volunteered at the King County shelter. When KCACC "exposed" began their attack, one of the first things they did was attack. Cat Mom , and all of us rescues who had worked with the Kent Shelter. All this consultant cares about is money and ego. I met him face to face during his stalking of the volunteers and workers at the Kent shelter. He is a rather oily short man with perspiration marks on his shirt. I could tell, they were not there from working.
All he did was walk around and take pictures, and never once went to a staff member or volunteer, and said this water dish was low or this animal needs care. Had his accusations been true he would have done that. One volunteer was quietly following him from a distance with a video camera. He was completely unaware of her presence, he was so focused on destroying our shelter. There isn't much on the video we've all watched it, and had a good giggle. He would twist and turn trying to get just the right picture to show what he perceived to be a real heartbreaker. His sanitation practices were abominable, he went between diseased cats in cages handling each one through the bars. I guess he wanted to make sure every The place that every disease in place whether transmitted via air or contact up.
It has been a busy morning for me, but I finally have my account up and running. I've continued to follow the blogs, although the relief at having Barnette go to Los Angeles has certainly lightened the load of us involved with the King County shelters. Los Angeles is already full of crazy people, so one more isn't exactly going to tip their bucket over. The Wino women here are still raising hell because we know he likes to come back. I just read that sentence & it makes perfect sense because of course he's unable to go forward. This is such poorly thought out scheme, it can only have repeated failures until the infrastructure is rebuilt.
King County Sharon, welcome, good to see an old friend. I have a post on my blog to CatMom. www.workingtohelpanimalstodaytomorrow.blogspot.com. I worked with Diel quite a bit, smart guy in my opinion. The ACO Guild deserves an award to get out from under Barnette/Winograd. Unfortunately she landed in my doorstep, so my fight goes on. Last night there was a town hall meeting for higher household pet limits in LA. I mean really, like they don't have enough problems with what they have. And Barnette supports it, breeder that she is. Give me some help guys on my blog and on articles we have managed to get into the papers, including some new ones coming up.
kcaccsharon, I wish what you say is true but the animal issue here has a front row seat as far as the news goes. Last nites Town Hall meeting over limits was packed with the Winograd people while only two others stood in opposition. What if a non profit group stood in something so public and spoke against no kill, what would happen? They would be called names that an animal rescue/non profit can't afford to hear, animal killers. If you ain't for "no kill" then you must be against it, killers. He uses this intimidation, this tactic to overwhelm. We're hoping for responses from the apartment owners, etc. because this is creating the publicity that was needed to bring it to the forefront and people find out about it. And welcome to you too, remember you well.
kcaccsharon, was your area the one where Kim Sgro was with Winograd?
You might be interested in this about her former employer, No Kill sanctuary Pasado's Safe Haven. Sgro was Executive Director of this No Kill place.
What would have happened if private No Kill had been able to get their hands on taxpayer money?
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090517/NEWS01/705179943
The good done for animals at Pasado's has attracted national attention and support from celebrities including Oprah Winfrey and actor Will Smith.
That's the narrative most often connected with the nonprofit. There is another story, too.
It's a story about blurred boundaries between the founders' personal lives and operations of the nonprofit corporation they helped establish. It's about strained relationships that Pasado's has with a number of officials in the region who enforce animal protection laws. And it's about fundraising efforts that in 2007 alone brought in more than $2 million.
Pasado's has nothing to hide, Michaels said during recent interviews.
"I gave up my life for this organization," she said. "It is worth it. It is worth every moment of my time."
Over the past two years, Pasado's has been embroiled in a legal dispute playing out in Snohomish and King counties. It was triggered by Steinway's decision to leave Michaels after 26 years of marriage and concluded with a divorce settlement in March.
The legal wrangling focused largely on a 2003 decision by the Pasado's board of directors to help pay part of the more than $530,000 the couple spent building the custom home that Michaels and Steinway shared on the sanctuary grounds.
The 2,400-square-foot house was completed using $170,000 of the nonprofit's funds, court records show. When the deal was approved, Michaels was president of Pasado's board and Steinway was the board's secretary-treasurer.
All parties involved agree that the couple always intended for Pasado's to ultimately wind up owning the home and the 24-acre lot where it is located. Moreover, they made sure it happened without Michaels and Steinway making a profit on the real estate transaction.
Recollections vary sharply, however, on exactly how the deal was supposed to unfold. Pasado's and its founders didn't create a public records paper trail typical of transactions involving real estate.
The dispute morphed into a legal tangle that wound up in court. Allegations in the litigation, and concerns about Pasado's future, prompted roughly a dozen people with intimate knowledge of the organization to contact The Herald.
There is no story, Michaels said. She said any questions about Pasado's would be "based on allegations by individuals who are less than credible or who are twisting information to damage" the nonprofit's reputation.
Steinway took a similar position in 2002 when, acting on behalf of Pasado's, he sent the newspaper a letter threatening a lawsuit. Pasado's had learned that reporters were then examining the group's handling of animal cruelty cases and exploring whether donor money was being spent to develop the sanctuary on land then still owned by Michaels and Steinway.
Steinway, who has since moved to Louisiana, now says concerns about how Pasado's operates are well founded.
The nonprofit has functioned for most of its existence without strong governance by a board of directors to maintain adequate separation between the charity's mission and the founders' personal business, he said.
"Susan and I ran the place," he said. "We consulted with people but we did what we wanted."
Post a Comment