Sunday, September 5, 2010

Reno Is Not No Kill, Never Has Been, Never Will.

I have worked extensively on this project while serving as a chaplain visiting the prison in Carson City.  I did volunteer at the Nevada Humane Society for a very short period of time.  I was present on that day April 16,2009 when the Washoe County Commission made it abundantly clear to all present that No Kill was not viable for Washoe County.  Mr. Snyder opted for" pet friendly".  Any skeptics can go to the Washoe County Nevada website and look at archived video of that meeting.  I was one of the volunteers who had gone to speak on behalf of the Nevada Humane Society and was struck with a moment of sanity as I sat there watching the process.  I never left my chair that day; and I never went back to the Nevada Humane Society to volunteer. The turnover rate is horrific. I read the report that Winograd did for them and he stated what was visible to the naked eye. Most of the volunteers show up to get a T-shirt and never come back.  I never saw any logs for when volunteers were to arrive or to go.  We just showed up when we felt like it.

I continued to visit the animals since I had become attached to many of them; and I never made a big deal about not coming back.  It bothers me as a person who tries to live a life of decency to see the constant spin put out by these No Kill groups.  FixAustin and all the other "Fix's " just dump that garbage out there hoping nobody will do the research.  "Washoe County Regional Animal Services, is a government agency.  During my time at NHS there was a change of command in that agency.  The new director is a puppet for Winograd, and goes from state to state in a County uniform spreading BS.  That's the strongest expletive I can use on this blog.  I don't understand how he has allowed an outside agency to take over a government agency.  Perhaps it's my military background and my respect for my uniform.

So long as Mr. Winograd goes from state to state, with his little wooden dummy in khakis, sitting on his knee the crazy cat people will flock.  The reason there is such a high return to owner rate in some No Kill communities, is because the animals are never brought to the shelter in the first place and they count that as a win.  If you follow the Reno Gazette Journal mostly dogs blog very closely (it's available online).  You will watch the shells as they shift around the table top. On the County website Mr. Snyder declares that animals taken home in the field are counted as redemed.  That is a major tool for No Kill, what doesn't make it to the shelter doesn't have to be counted.  Also if you follow the blog another farce used in getting good numbers, every other week, approximately, they give away the animals.  I was actually there the day they gave animals away along the roadside where construction was being done.  The cars had to slow down their orange cones everywhere.  What a perfect time to toss a homeless animal in the trunk!!

The Nevada Humane Society continues to try to force its will upon Washoe County Regional Animal Services, and it is costing the County of great deal of money to do what NHS should be doing  If this is what future victims such as Austin, Houston and San Antonio and Indianapolis would research they would reject this as soundly as other communities have before they go bankrupt..  I have seldom in my life felt moved to speak so vehemently in the defense of animals, I have never felt them so threatened.  If you're considering this aberration in your community, do your homework don't, absolutely don't believe what you read on the web.

I currently volunteer at the Sacramento shelter, and I can feel the difference.  A new building doesn't make a better shelter if the people running it don't know what they're doing.  So we are older as a facility, but we try harder.

7 comments:

brent said...

Nathan Winograd is telling the blogging world that Reno is a star performer. Is the Humane Society no kill, does it have an animal control contract? I looked at the adoptables they have; and there are hundreds of cats. How can they maintain all those cats? TNR is not a city policy here and it should never be encouraged from what I have seen on the L A blogger it's bad news.

baywatch1 said...

I found you,& you are in Sacramento? I live in the Bay Area and volunteer at a local shelter. I'm a retired vetrinarian and couldn't agree more that TNR and No Kill are bad for the animals. I am glad to see not everyone in California is enamored with the crazy people. I have bookmarked your site and will spread the word, it needs to get out there.

karen said...

I attend Chap's congregation, all help is needed to keeep this in check and the Bay Area is where this started isn't it? People need to watch out for unintended consequences. I do know that people from Reno come down here to adopt because the animals up there have problems. That is a shame, the animals deserve better than being jammed in so close. I haven't been there, but have seen lots of pictures. The scary part is, you can tell they think it's normal.

P. said...

Karen, yes they think it is normal. Look at Lied, NV when HSUS had to come in and euthanize over a thousand animals because they were sick and dying. Staff was quoted by the newspaper that they didn't know the animals were sick. How can you miss animals being sick, don't you clean up after them? It is typical of "No Kill" shelters to "overlook" disease while at the same time saying that animals are adoptable with "treatment". Who determines that treatment, when and how much?

No Kill, No Way, Not Tomorrow, Not Today said...

To baywatch1, we are located in Sacramento, and would appreciate letting people know to check before they sign up. No Kill has many problems and those are the ones making the most noise.It does sound good on paper, but the reality is quite different.

No Kill, No Way, Not Tomorrow, Not Today said...

Reading back over the post I was trying to ascertain what drove me to put the link in there to the parody of Petpac. I don't want a lot of extraneous links in here that pull us off topic and make us lose our message. However that story seems to point out the absolute fiscal impossibility of sustaining a living with Mr. Winograd's equation. Which would mean, in my opinion, he would not make a very good business partner. People who can't pay their own way in life seldom pay their own way and business partnerships. Hence all the no kill shelters begging for supplies that should be routine budget items in any well-run shelter.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is thank God there are people out there speaking truth to this issue. I'm watching, heartbroken and terrified, as Austin's formerly not-perfect-but-really-really-outstanding Town Lake Animal Center starts to sink into the mire of No Kill goals forced upon it by a misled City Council and caring but uninformed citizens who think there is a magic bullet that will end euthanasia (or killing, whatever your preferred language) in shelters. All that Town Lake's staff has worked to acheive in the last 10-11 years, under the leadership of (no, not perfect but pretty damn good) Dorinda Pulliam is now at risk and Central Texas will lose it's best and most consistent true resource for TRUE animal welfare. The spectre is horrifying and it's happening in front of my eyes. Please, keep up your excellent work.