Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Nevada Humane Society Has Joined Our Readership.....

 Reply |Anonymous to me
show details 9:19 PM (13 hours ago)
I received such a wonderful comment on another posting I decided to bring it to the top of the page to share.
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Reno Is Not No Kill, Never Has Been, Never Will.":
All I can say is thank God there are people out there speaking truth to this issue. I'm watching, heartbroken and terrified, as Austin's formerly not-perfect-but-really-really-outstanding Town Lake Animal Center starts to sink into the mire of No Kill goals forced upon it by a misled City Council and caring but uninformed citizens who think there is a magic bullet that will end euthanasia (or killing, whatever your preferred language) in shelters. All that Town Lake's staff has worked to acheive in the last 10-11 years, under the leadership of (no, not perfect but pretty damn good) Dorinda Pulliam is now at risk and Central Texas will lose it's best and most consistent true resource for TRUE animal welfare. The spectre is horrifying and it's happening in front of my eyes. Please, keep up your excellent work.
Publish
Delete
Mark as spam

My goal as a pastor was to reach the largest segment of the community, and I never cared who sat in the pews. I doubt we make you a convert, but conversion was not ever our goal.  The truth, is our mission . I forwarded the sitemeter print screen over to Oreo since it was her name they did the google search on. I hope you come back again NHS, I met many nice people while there, would enjoy reconnecting with some of them.
You only read the article about Reno, come back and read the interview.

9 comments:

No Kill, No Way, Not Tomorrow, Not Today said...

Sharing a thought with the readers concerning comments. While I will publish anon comments, if we have several anon's going at once, the thread becomes difficult to follow, and the needed cross interaction comes to a standstill. ( which anon were you a talking to ? ) If you would be kind enough to use a name of any sort, your pet would be fine. Anything to make the thread easier to follow. For fellow believers, the apostles could be fun, or pick a saint.

sheldon said...

Damn Chap, you have blogger issues, this is three posts that have disappeared, last try for a while

Brent said...

I agree with Sheldon, Blogger is being a pain tonight. Is that the Nevada Humane Society where you moved from ? Guess there is only one. Well I hope they come back to read and learn again.
It's bad your shelter is on the line, keep fighting, & never give up. From what I have seen on the internet one of Winograds preferred methods is fire all the old staff and put his puppets in power.Try to keep as many volunteers from being run off as you can. Use whatever tools God gives you to support your open shelter. No Kill is fine for small shelters that are able to pick and choose, but look at Reno, they have so many animals they give them away. It's hard to believe they have decent guidelines they follow for adopting when they are that desparate.

No Kill, No Way, Not Tomorrow, Not Today said...

I hope you weren't stuck in the que long fellows.
Blogger sent a notice saying updates may slow service, so I guess that is it. I personally don't think it's all over for TLAC, but if they can ditch the manager, like they did in Reno, they could seize the place for a little bit. The Washoe manager took early retirement, but they were impossible to work with. I stayed on the NHS side for a long time, nobody could ever put together a program. I didn't meet the animal services manager, but knew from staff that all their animals had to come through the side I was volunteering at anyway. I couldn't take the chaos, so I left. Then the prison cut back and we retired. At least I quit getting paid lol.

Austin Matthew said...

I will be an apostle for reforming no kill. What the commenter said is true. They are very much on the edgeof losing control of the shelter.And it is a good shelter, not new, certainly not fancy, but the animals are treated well by everyone. I went on the BIG NO KILL MODEL being promoted and it's newer, but my God, click on the adoptable list. Noah could repopulate the earth with animals just from that joint. Save the ones that have a chance, and give them a decent quality of life while they wait for a home. Hoarding all those unadoptable animals is harming the general population. I volunteer at TLAC and to whoever wrote the comment, thank you. It is heartbreaking to see.

Brent said...

My original comments were about TNR. I have lost that train of thought. I was going to comment about the poster who knew two dogs who had been literally stolen. My Mother's Schnauzer got out when the meter guy left the gate open, it was 6 years old and never traveled more that a couple of houses according to the witnesses.One neighbor went in to fetch a treat to catch the dog and when she came out with the milkbone the dog was hopping into a stranger's car. Mom's dog never showed up at the pound. Good natured well groomed dogs do get stolen. Animals are not, finders keepers, losers weeepers as Ma used to say. That is theft.

Mark said...

I guess we're doing the new testament :) Good blog, I found you on another site that is heavy duty on the truth. I disagree with trap and kill, but can't agree with TNR. Like most people I am trying to find a middle road. I am employed at SCS and deal with euthanasia everyday. Only a moron would not want to change things. The problem is spay and neuter is not considered important to most of the public. They never associate their one litter with the overpopulation of shelters. I think the answer is tighter reg's on adoptions, and if the dog isn't showing in a ring, then get it fixed. The majority of purebreds in shelters are pitbulls and now Chi's. Our shelter is not overwhelmed with Lassie types. Also, off site adoptions don't work, they are based on impulse. Make it harder to get an animal and people might keep it.

No Kill, No Way, Not Tomorrow, Not Today said...

Don't take me so literally. Or maybe you are the victims of a coincidence. I wanted to let a couple of people know, I do have your comments and they are not suitable for this blog. I use the Pacelle model of "keep it clean", and that includes those who agree with me. If Mr. Winograd can bring us down to slurring him, then we have lost our way. We need to be above the name calling and rhetoric. Following an idiots behavior patterns only adds 1 more idiot to the mix. Mark brought up an extremely common problem, people never see the bigger picture. "It's only one litter, they all have homes" We need to make it harder, not easier to get an animal. These spur of the moment adoptions are causing a high return rate. Oreo has a good artile on her blog about that. It's called Doggie Dreams.

No Kill, No Way, Not Tomorrow, Not Today said...

I agree with you P. On the anon thing though, I do like hanging out with saints & apostles, just noticed Francis, He is the patron saint of animals.