Saturday, September 4, 2010

Step Two, Reforming No Kill ; Fighting The Non-Profit Secrecy

I came upon the post below approximately 2 years ag; prior to that time I had believed No Kill might work.  I don't know, where we find our inspirations, but I believe that that blog post was mine.  I have noticed in looking over some of the comments we have repeated links.  I'm sorry about that blogger does not permit me to alter posts coming in, so I will leave the links in and you could ignore mine at the bottom of the page.  I normally do not put links with in the message body because it pulls the reader away from the article.  I've received some excellent posts so I want to make sure people read all the way through, so please, if you're going to add a link consider adding it to the bottom of your comment.

The public needs to be aware that if their nonprofit shelter is partnering with municipal shelter, any information given from the nonprofit to the municipal shelter becomes public record.  I would definitely use that as a means to gain access to nonprofit information.  The things we are looking for are the return rate, the duration of stay, and the number of animals on property.  If your municipal agency is the enforcing agency, they need to enforce their partners behavior.  In Reno Nevada, there is no supervision from WCRAS over the Nevada Humane Society.  They do not enforce space limits, they have animals stored in areas not designed for animal warehousing, thus the air exchange rates are in appropriate.  In the situation in Nevada there are two separate air-conditioning set ups one for human one for animal.  When the animals are stored in an area where the duct work is connected to an air conditioner used for humans, two things happen.  Office workers are subjected to kennel air for the duration of their shift, and air exchange for the animals is substandard..  Because animals breathe much more rapidly than humans they need a higher air exchange this is not the case of the Washoe County shelter on Longley. Overcrowding and incorrect air exchange are the primary causes of disease outbreak .

8 comments:

P. said...

Speaking of public records for non profits, yes if they partner in some way with government then PRAs are available. In the case of Brenda Barnette sitting on the animal commission as a non profit for King County, WA, it was recently ruled by the Washington State Attorney General that Barnette's personal emails concerning her position on the commission was subject to PRAs. Barnette resigned her position in opposition to this. Some emails have been relinquished under the complaint filed by the King County ACO Guild and they are being reviewed.

This particular case is hoping to show that Barnette schemed along with Winograd to produce insecurity with animal control in order for Barnette's non profit Seattle Humane Society to take control.

Another tactic being used against shelters and in essence against the animals in the shelters. Anything you do to an animal shelter ultimately ends up hurting the animals there when you drive away the public by airing untruths.

No Kill, No Way, Not Tomorrow, Not Today said...

Thank you Honesty. The records only become public however when the information is shared with the government agency. Finding out when that happens, is the tricky part. The shelters have used the animals as shields for years, much as our human enemies have used civilian human shields. When in Nevada the biggest thing you saw from the shelter there was if you tell the truth about us, the animals suffer. The animals suffer anyway.

Alyssa said...

Why does the Nevada Humane Society beg for cat food all the time. I have donated so much and I am tapped out. In my household budget I figure cost of food. I know that is a budget item. How can they be responsible to the public if they can't afford food?

Sharon said...

In King County the infighting took a terrible toll on the animals trapped in the middle. We had a blogger up here who was a volunteer at Kent shelter, she tried to get the truth out and they crucified her.

Alyssa said...

Google a columnist Lilly Anderson, she writes for a Ft. Wayne Indiana paper. Her article, No Kill Shelter? No way is great.

Anonymous said...

Alyssa said...

Why does the Nevada Humane Society beg for cat food all the time. I have donated so much and I am tapped out. In my household budget I figure cost of food. I know that is a budget item. How can they be responsible to the public if they can't afford food?

------------------------------------------------

The no-kill movement in my area is doing the same thing. They have a food bank that they say
"is very important because it keeps dogs and cats in their homes instead of forcing families to take their pets to the pound when they have no money to buy food."

What folks don't know is that the organization is allowing an individual who was convicted in another county for animal cruelty, to pull from this food bank to feed the animals that they now have in another county that they live in. The animal cruelty charge was related to having too many animals living in deplorable conditions. Go figure.

No Kill, No Way, Not Tomorrow, Not Today said...

Another reason to check the charity ratings and the 990's for best use of resouces. If you don't have enough food to feed the animals in the shelter, stop giving it away !

P. said...

Speaking of the air in shelters, Doug Rae, the best shelter director ever according to Winograd, actually was putting cats into the ventiliation ducts so as to not appear to be overcrowded. Needless to say, it ruined the system having cat feces spread all around. Probably caused a lot of unnecessary sickness and deaths of other cats. A good ventiliation system in a shelter is an absolute necessity or disease will be spread. Then again, this is no different from "No Kill" putting pit bulls in with other dogs, letting them kill the other dogs, because it doesn't show on their euthanasia records. Just another way to play that "No Kill" numbers game.