Monday, September 22, 2008

The Season Is Changing, Oreo Says...

The stitches came out today, all 20.... but we still have a way to go before we are up to speed. I had not wanted to write about the meeting until I could give it my full attention.
My feeling is that things went well, that the department head did listen, and on most areas we left with the same ideas we came with. We both tried. There is a feeling of forward movement in a couple of areas, one, overcrowding and two health. I continue to hear tales of woe, but if I can't confirm it, I don't post it.
Oreo received a story today about the San Diego shelter dropping No Kill; I really wish there was someplace for these jerks to run. I think if they had not burned all the bridges they had crossed they might not be so tenacious. I was told that we ( County) would not question the information NHS puts out. I do realize with money tight and staffing at a minimum, that would not be a priority, but one could dream. There is to be some type of independent evaluation in a couple of months, but I am not sure that might not be just one more attack on WCRAS. Talk about need based denial........ It's funny we all got along here for almost 30 years, all known quantities and one independent " consultant" can come in put a couple of morons in his pocket and run the county into ruin. The board of Directors at NHS is not listed publicly, if you want to run down the IRS statement the stuff is there, but come on, if you are doing it right; why are you hiding ?
Maybe they feel with one member placed in the State Atty Gen's office they know the difference between bending the law and breaking it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the keyboard Oreo. I'm glad the stitches are out.
Now about the meeting, go forward in what way? I understand you can't micromanage, but that is pretty vague. Is the plan to ask NHS to stop hoarding? We did notice on Marks blog he does mention the Gabbs case as hoarding? Wonder if he ever woke up or if he is just printing what they give him.
We all understand and respect that Oreo doesn't want this in the Las Vegas Sun, but at what point do we give up on her ability to get it dealt with quietly. NHS doesn't believe there is any such thing as bad publicity. I think a few of us could change their mind. There is a whole lot of stuff that the public would disapprove of. This shelter adopted three dogs to people in your area, so if they are coming to northern Ca to adopt, and these were not fluffies, they were mainstream strays there is a problem. I am seeing plenty of mutts on the NHS site, so what is the problem ? Happy for your business though.

Anonymous said...

It would be great if something did get moving, I want to stay on topic for this post, but when I left off, the AC guy was going to speak at a no kill convention ? Is that still on the table, if so, why ? I went to the hidden valley dog park, nice, but it is not going to be any different than the rest if they can't figure out some way to register users. We could start a park for just big dogs, limit of 2 per person. Maybe people really do have 4 or 5 dogs and the only time they get out is when they go to a park. That would be a suck life for the dog. A guy and his wife? kids, and 4 dogs came they must have run him out of the little dog section so he brought his little dogs to the big dog section and whined about the other big dogs. I have decided that all animal rightists, vs animal welfare types are a bunch of Disneyland folks. They were very proud that all the dogs were adopted; but not one had any training or social skills. Didn't come on to complain, but that was a disappointment.

HonestyHelps said...

Glad you're back. A day without Oreo is like a day without sunshine.

Anonymous said...

It is nice to have you back, Oreo's blog has become a part of my routine. I must meet her ! I wanted to address Steve if he still visits here. Perhaps you could provide your email to Oreo, if you are still looking for a home for Pixie the Peke.
To the overcrowding problem, that seems to be everywhere, and it's a direct result of what we used to call, keeping up with the Jones's. There is so much misinformation on the web about numbers and live release rate, it creates a feeling that someone is doing it better than we are.
It has become Liar's Poker with each organization exaggerating the " potential" while minimizing or hiding what is really on the table.
Those of us who work in shelters know that many of the animals have conditions that prohibit their chance for success in a long term home. In my opinion it is inhumane to continue to regurgitate these animals through the system. That is the ongoing problem when dealing with non profits in conjuntion with public service. There is a lack of accountabiliy when you can hide your figures from the public.

Anonymous said...

Speak louder Greta, they need to hear you in King County. The truth of the numbers should be how many are turned away to die elsewhere. Taken to open admission shelters, or abandoned should count on the death rates for the
" no kill" I did pull up Kern County and those were nice looking GSD sitting in the shelter there, and the kennel looks cramped. But so long as we have dogs dying here we should not be taking any homes away from them. And transporting dogs from area to area is a fast way to extend parasite and disease into a new area. There was rescue that used to drive all over the west coast spreading health problems. Glad you're back Oreo.

Happy Camper said...

Lots of good new input. I have already spoken with Muni Parks and Rec department heads, and they agree it would be nice to have a keyless entry gate, at this point, budget contraints prohibit any more spending. Rangers are a luxury in some parks, just tight times.
Speaking to Greta and KCSharon, it is a numbers game, I think everybody that wants to know that, does. I have seen some dogs that have gone from WCRAS to NHS and then picked up by WCRAS and never claimed, that have not been taken back into NHS so that is another form of dealing with the unadoptable dog. That would be an area to keep an eye on. How many of the adoptions end up back at the pund unclaimed and not transferred. I think it was Greta who mentioned at one time, very few people get the microchip changed into the new name.

Compassion First said...

Oreo feels the season is changing for the better ? Like the climate for responsible behavior is back ? My wife continues to hear and see things that indicate overcrowding from the potential adopters that come where she volunteers. We're afraid like the housing market the bubble is ready to burst. Nobody wants to see that happen and yet I wonder how many more animals can be stuffed in there. Lucy is becoming very attached to Riley and we are glad we adopted, but wish we could have found something locally.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Oreo, I've had some opinions but held off posting . I thought even putting things up might be a challenge. Any progress is welcome and needed. I have not commented on this before, but if I were to suggest one thing it would be go have Bonney and Diane spend more time on their side of the building. They are in the way on the AC side, how long can it take to decide which animals are not going to be taken?
Transmission of disease by contact is a problem to be talked about. We follow strict protocol to protect our animals, the cats are behind glass, but they feel they can walk in anywhere and handle an animal. Considering how many runny nosed cats they have over there, it is only fair to ask if they washed up. Bet they don't when coming over here because they are in office attire and just wander in.

Anonymous said...

To 2big dogs, I didn't think the HVDP was that great. It drew a lot of people from the nearby apartments and those of us in Rosewood Lakes have been crowded out by people from further away. I would be interested in how the gate system would work. The field has been there forever, so in a way it was used for dogs anyway. We locals have used Oreo's volunteer plan to keep our park clean. We don't care who left the mess, we pick it up. Do you remember what newsletter that was sent out in ? I should make copies and put in the car to share with other park users. We're glad you ae back, hope you are even better when you heal.

Happy Camper said...

Oreo sends her greetings!!
Touching on a couple of things before I forget. Jeannie it was the June newsletter and if you want to hit the "send to" in my profile I will resend it. The hotmail address we have been using for you is inactive at this time ? You missed the Septemeber e-letter. Volunteer made a good point on cross contamination, the public is not allowed to go from cat to cat at the impound side, and others shouldn't either. If one side has 478 cats and the other has 50, it is not rocket science to figure out where the disease will come from. A change in attitude and willingness to learn before the disaster would be a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Okie dokie, I got in. I already had a Google acct for something else.

What a pain for you to have to take evasive action though.

I hope your hand and knee are doing well with the stitches out now.

I personally believe that the B of D at NHS are afraid to make their names known publicly. Their names used to be listed in the quarterly newsletters.

DogLogic said...

The board of Directors at NHS is not listed publicly?!?

How can a non-profit expect any sort of trust or respect this way?

Oreo passed along to me that the education branch of NHS has gone by the wayside along with the wildlife assistance. Yet still the programs remain on the website www.nevadahumanesociety.org/involved_educate.htm.
I wonder what happens when a member of the public calls up and requests one of these programs? I personally know of at least one other organization that is playing the same game - advertising that community programs still are functioning when they have been shut down...

Honesty, just some basic honesty and brave transparency, is needed from these organizations. Without that, there can be no real coalition building.