When Oreo started blogging, she really wanted to be an antidote to the negativity on the local newpapers blog. So far she has done a good job, nobody has attacked for the sake of attacking. And I must say, we are all pleased with the knowledge and dedication of our commenters. Oreo's view of a Compassionate Community seems to have struck a chord. I heard recently ( today to be precise ) from a senior staff member that could bring some structure back to the animal care in our local intake facility. Let us pray...... I have been so blessed with the goings on in our little world, that when a true case of abuse of power comes up, it takes me aback. That the abuse of power has come from a non profit which was so long a pillar of our community; made it harder to believe. One keeps thinking , there must be a mistake........Every portion of a civilized society requires some form of regulation to keep it in balance. Banks have audits, Supermarkets have " mystery shoppers" in the sixties we used to say " Ass, Gas or Grass; nobody rides for free" as crude as that may sound; it still applies.
There is always a cost to do business, and my rights end where your nose begins. so, when I used anarchy in relation to the No Kill Advocacy, it was the best word for the job. I got a couple of emails ( from folks who didn't look it up I guess ) so using the simple pocket dictionary for synonyms, here we what we found. lawlessness, chaos, disorder, modocracy, misrule, undesiplined. there were more, but you get the picture. Every operation within a democracy is subject to oversight, so when the war cry of No Kill is " regime change" one can only wonder what the people closest to the problem thought that meant for God's sake. A long time ago ( before regionalization ) the city of Reno and perhaps the county (?? ) had approached NHS about privatizing animal services. The director at the time declined. She was very smart, she ate her Wheaties; and she could finish a sentence without repeating herself. It would be difficult at best to have a private agency enforce government ordinances, which generally require some expertise and training to understand. Not to mention, who would do the dirty work ? Shelters serve the public at large, and that includes people that don't even have animals. There is an equal reponsibility to protect from dangerous animals and diseased animals. Every rule has a reason...some may have evolved, but the rule was created for a purpose. Without licensing how would a lost dog be returned ? Who would pay the bills ? Who would protect the stray from the cruel person ?
There is no Utopia where we can each do as we please, our lives & decisions, touch others and our view may differ. Every night when we walk the big guys down the street we are greeted with waves and smiles, but not all of those happy campers would want a trio of dogs totaling 440 pounds ( that is not a typo ) and they like us because we follow the laws of the land. We are on leash, we stay on the sidewalk, not gardens, we don't growl; a good citizen is well liked, and welcomed back.
Oreo doesn't want a free for all on her streets and she wants healthy adoptable animals to have a chance to find a home, to do this we need oversight on the treatment of animals in custody to be certain that healthy safe animals are released into our community.
Pictured are Burley Dog & Miss Priss admiring their kingdom from the French Doors....

13 comments:
So well written. This needs to go to your commissioners. You have a talent for putting into words what all of us are feeling and think. Thanks.
Hi honesty !
She's right Oreo, you have outdone yourself. I hope the staffer is who I think it is. That could mean a change in thinking. some of us have been here long enough to know the difference . It would be so terrific if this agency could police itself. Anybody who would do a public records request for that buildling would be entitied to know how many animals are kept there. The building belongs to the County, and as such is covered by the PI act. Just pretending on the numbers here, if the building has 1,000 animals and only 200 are on the County side, that would leave about 800 on the NHS side. Keep in mind the actual division of population will vary. We have booth at any events and information is free. Ask a staff or volunteer and please ask for actual figures from Washoe County Animal Services, we are proud of what we do.
Did Oreo ask you to read her the paper this morning ? We will go and try to mingle and get the word out about Animal control. There was nothing in the paper about them having a booth, if it were not for Oreo's newsletters many people would think NHS is the onlygame in town. I sincerely hope that at some time Washoe County goes back into the adoption field. I think they could handle adoptions a hell of a lot better than NHS could handle Animal Control. Reading the fine print in Winograds Blog and understanding that he is the driving force behind Bonney Brown and NHS is scary. I know Sheldons wife volunteers for SPCA and they follow a no kill guideline and they aren't weird, so they must just say no kill, but not being an open admission they don't have to get crazy. The labs are looking forward to Dog Daze which should be coming up soon. If Oreo sees it first will she post ?
Even in our limited admission 'no kill" shelter we sometimes have to euthanize. It is hard turning animals away, but we do want to give the most animals a chance to make it. And, if one dog is 13 been here a year and gets cancer, we are not going to treat it. I find it hard to understand that anyone dealing in the real world would find a problem with that. All of the shelters in our state are inspected, government, private, fosters and rescues. The animals deserve that. It is not a constant, but is random and provides the best incentive to keep your affairs in order.
Most non profits are pretty open except the ones who are overcrowded. We call that institutional hoarding. Does Oreo read Sheltering ? There is a huge problem with that when the funding comes from Maddies. If there were more supervision of the non profits getting funding it would help more animals. We do not function with a government contract, but work closely with agencies which do. Like any business, promise the moon to get the contract and then start slacking off. Our local AC is old and not to pretty, but it is well run and the staff care for the animals and that is the bottom line. No Kill and open admission will never work.
Do you think that putting pressure on NHS will cause any changes? I think asking instead of pushing would get faster results.
To anon,
think of it like the choking manuever, if you put your foot right in the middle of someones back and keep it there, maybe their head will pop out.....
Does anybody think we haven't tried asking? People who ask get fired, or are not allowed to take animals anymore or get restraining orders . This is not a fun little group we are dealing with here. The price of a question is banishment. Again, I would ask all people new to the blog to read KCAS Creatures posts on the " playbook"
Anon, we wish it were so easy as to just ask and ye shall receive. We are talking "fanatics" here at NHS. And yes, indeed, we feel that putting the pressure on will bring about changes. How do you think NHS got what they wanted? Maybe you are new to this issue but dealing with "No Kill" is a war, not a tea party. Animals are suffering and it has to stop. NHS will fall and it will be their own doing because no kill does not work as presented by the likes of Whino-grad. His program is dead but just doesn't know it yet.
Oreo, please let Priss know we are coming to Reno Sat the 15th and would like to meet you at the same little park where we became aquainted before. I will be there about noon. I am eager to discuss current events with you, and this splendid environment Oreo has provided. Almost everyone at our shelter subscribes to you.
Patsy expired, I awoke day before yesterday and she appeared to be sleeping beside the bed, but she was gone. Now she is with her mistress & I miss her. I will always be thankful she didn't have to go to a shelter.
I want to discuss with you about working with hospice folks who may need to let an aging pet live out it's days with me. I don't think old dogs should be put in shelter, but a list of geriatric " final owners" would be a source to draw on. I know you have placed some old guys, I would like to start such a service in our area. Hope to see you Saturday I will be dogless, can you bring and extra?
Anybody who doesn't put anarchy together with Mr. Winograd does not follow the issues. Mr. Jacobs at SPCA does a great job and so far he hasn't tried to take over the world. Speaking of the SPCA we are going to the Dog Daze tomorrow, and donations are appreciated but I guess they got heavy handed last year ( we were still in Sac ) and that has been resolved. But come on, you know there is expense involved and it goes for a good cause.
This will be a first for Riley, we won't bring Lucy. She is good with most things but I think that would freak her out.
I support the continued press for supervision at NHS with the numbers that high there has to be some oversight. Why can't they just put out a sheet of paper saying what they take in and what they adopt out and what they put down. The county does that, if you serve the public you should do that. Is Oreo coming to Idlewild ?
I do miss the park patter, but this has been important to get in the public eye. I noticed the article in the paper didn't mention Petnetwork or WARF, it must be limited to What ? I do know the county can let rescues take dogs and cats, but can they do adoptions, like for strays that are not claimed ?
I don't think I would be comfortable with that many dogs running around, but tell Oreo to give us an update.
Yes, Dog Daze !
First Greta, I will be on that side of town, I will have 2 maybe three dogs with me, all sopping wet. I am waiting to hear back from the vet on letting Oreo go with her dry eye and some skin allergy rashes. On your other idea I look forward to talking with you about that. It would but a seniors mind at ease to know their pet had a home. So far none of my people have had to put the dogs in shelter.an old dog in the shelter is very sad to me. Have you read Steve and his saga with his Mom's dog ?
The general feeling that WCRAS should be allowed to adopt after a stray perion is very strong. I think if you see a dog on the County side and you put your name on it, it should be direct adopt without the NHS in the middle. they would object since this is how they " shorten" their stay time. The county would have to agree to alter before release however. It would reduce the number of "transfers" to NHS for a 24 hour period. Although the hold dogs don't take NHS space anyway, that is why they don't want to give them up. I think the public deserves to adopt from both sides.
bqkiStrange that I came here to find a home for my Mom's dog, and am staying to learn. Pixie is still here, and will stay here until private family can be found or she dies. I have studied this blog, I do get the need for truth. I don't think on the truth Pixie is adoptable. What we have decided is,the pen arrangement we have in the garage is probably better than what she would have in even the nicest shelter, and more attention will be given. The SPCA had the most caring staff, I didn't get to Pet Network, we had decided by then to keep her here. WE STILL WOULD LOVE TO FIND HER A HOME. But she can stay here untill we do.
I don't know what we thought happened in shelters, but we have an awareness now.
I understand not everybody can fence off a garage, but don't bullshit yourself about shelter life. There are no happy volunteers brushing and walking them. They sit in a kennel or a cage,they are put in with strange dogs, they are handled by people who are careless and inexperienced. They might mean well, but it is not the environment they pretend it is. It would be better than leaving your pet abandoned somewhere, never do that; but don't salve your conscience that the Humane Society is a good place to be.
Steve, I realize it was a hard decision for you. Bless both of your hearts and I wish the best for you two. You're a good person to take on this responsibility because it is a chore. It shows the type of person you are and you are definitely my type of person.
Post a Comment