Saturday, May 10, 2008

Needed : Continuing Adult Education.

Good post from Colan. It referenced a three legged stool and we all know if a stool is to stand; there must be balance. I had been trying to think which component was the more inportant; temporarily losing sight of the fact they must have equal value to stand. Spay/nueter is essential to reduce population and give time to work on the other issues; public education & awareness programs drive the bus for getting them done. If we want the public to make better choices we need to provide better information on every level of dog ownership.
The final leg is, of course, the physical shelter and its staff. We need volunteers to work with staff, not in place of them. The rescues in a very real sense allow the no kill to be halfway believeable to the half way informed. When I was growing up I used to hear
" The Church isn't the building , it's the people in it" Very true for shelters as well. I have seen some shining examples of loving care in buildings where you almost fear for your well being, and some neglect is some pretty fancy architecture; and of course vice versa.
Pulling animals out of shelters for a temporary home hasn't solved the problem and it won't. It does offer more outlets, but the number of homes wanting the animals stays the same. We need to educate shelter staff in breed traits, because it does affect a dogs chances of permanent placement. We must find the courage to say "this dog will not work in the environment you are offering it" We need to make time for the random homecheck, and today with the advent of Google; staff could quietly excuse themselves and as part of the adoption process run the address to see if it was a home or a hotel...... We have people living in motels adopting big dogs for protection. These dogs are getting returned for " landlord" issues. Gee, do ya think? Oreo has maintained all the way, this is not a situation we can adopt our way out of. But, putting in place standards that give a better chance for permanence only makes good sense. When the little old lady in a wheelchair wants a high energy terrier, reference that it is not fair to the dog. If the shelter people don't defend the dog who is going to. Reading the No Kill purists belief that euthanasia is only acceptable for EXTREME pain is frightening. Who are these wackos to determine extreme on any animal ? Animals hide pain, they do it as a survial skill, especially in a shelter envirionment.
Can we get a little common sense and compassion going here ?
1. Reduce production
2. Education of public and staff in animal welfare, and breed characteristics.
3. Support shelter improvements to reduce offsite adoptions, lowering impulse placements.
This Chunkie boy lives around the corner and so far is a sucess story for a rehoming. He got off to a traumatic start, but has landed in a home that can cope with his bully ways, and the new owner is willing to learn how to bring him around. He is a little " mouthy" and not every owner could deal with that as sucessfully as this adopter has.

3 comments:

Friends Administrator said...

I agree totally. We need to do better adoptions. Shelters feel pushed to get them out the door and that is not right. More adoptions is not exactly the right answer but better adoptions along with more adoptions is the solution. What is so difficult to understand that there will always be a problem when the supply far exceeds the demand? "If they ain't there, we can't kill 'em."

Happy Camper said...

You are right, as usual P_. Yhat is why I put reduce production as number one !! But Shelter support from the community is what keeps the riff raff from coming in taking over the place with wild rhetoic. If a good shelter operator could get one volunteer from each breed to do an " on call" type of thing where they could come in educate staff, put forth the information that might help that dog find a home. I had Ferrets, just loved them, I feel very secure in giving our AC my imput on what to look for in a good Ferret home. We could do that with any shelter animal and up its chances for suriving tranfer. Not all shelter staff is versed in all breeds. A list of willing volunteers to answer questions and give informal advice could be most helpful.

Anonymous said...

I am gong to volunteer at the Animal Control side. I figure that is where dogs like Digger and Dozer usually come from. I understand I can't walk the dogs or do to much interaction but just showing up on a regular basis to say hello and give a kind word should help, and if any stay beyond the stray period I will work with them. I can't foster since Dozer wants to chew on other dogs, but I asked the trainer what I could do to pay her back for all the stuff she has done for us and she said to volunteer there. She has been a miracle worker with these two dogs, still comes twice a week and they go crazy when they see her. Digger tries to hide underneath her long skirts when she leaves and get into the van with her. I am so glad I have found all the good peoople and the dong bone site saved my sanity.