Oreo has always been oppposed to crate training, and yet the picture to your left would speak in favor of it from time to time. Over the years we have figured out that nothing is learned by agreeing with yourself. So we have asked a friend who is experienced in shelter work with a training background for his knowledge and reasons for support. He is currently serving actively in the Animal Control Field Services arena, and finds crate training to be valuable in rehoming issues or in dealing with the "growing pains" of pet ownership. We do crate our dogs during travel for safety purposes, and we maintain a covered kennel area in case of an emergency ( fence blowing down etc ) I use it as a potting area. After having it for 35 years I still haven't had to put a dog it it, but I feel like a better steward for providing it. I am becoming aware that a crate could be useful in rehoming, and with some behavioral issues a novice dog owner could find themselves in. I still feel if you have to crate all the time you aren't ready for a dog yet. The text in brown is the lovely article offered up for the site.I believe the lack of awareness of, or misunderstanding about, crate training is in fact a tragedy. I say this because the most common reasons people “fall out of love” with there dogs, and then surrender them at shelters, can be resolved by the proper use of a crate. Two common reasons for owner surrender of dogs are destructive chewing and/or housebreaking problems. I certainly don’t fault people for not loving a dog that has these problems. I myself would find it difficult to love a dog that does his/her business all over my house, and I likely wouldn’t care much for a dog that chewed up all my things either. But the simple reality is that these are common problems for most dogs and their owners; and they can be resolved by the use of a crate. Housebreaking and chewing problems for dogs is as natural for a dog as potty training and thumb sucking issues are for children; they are perfectly natural issues. But if a dog owner doesn’t solve these problems they are not likely to keep the dog, which means they’ll likely dump the dog on the local shelter to deal with. When you consider that in most communities, that 50% of abandoned or surrendered dogs are euthanized; you can see we are talking about a potentially life threatening issue for the dog.
As a dog trainer, in years past, I spent a great deal of time explaining the benefits of crate training to dog owners with these typical problems. Generally, the first obstacle to overcome with the dog owner was that they think putting a dog in a crate is cruel. In a perfect world this might not be the perfect situation, but it certainly is not cruelty. Consider that a child, for about the first 2 years of its life, spends almost all of its time in confinement. It is either in a crib, playpen, highchair, car seat or some other containment device. So why should have so much difficulty understanding that containment of a dog is cruelty? In fact, virtually all dogs love their crates. Like most humans, we have are favorite place to sit at the dinner table, our favorite chair when watching TV or “our side” of the bed. Like most humans, dogs are creatures of habit and therefore actually prefer to lie in their crates even when they aren’t being put in their by the owner. I have had many dogs that had to be forced into their crate the first two weeks, like a child having to be forced to sleep in its own bed, only to find the dog going into the crate on his own a few weeks later; so don’t make judgments by the dogs initial reactions to it.
So, when you are not able to supervise your dog, especially during the housebreaking/chewing phases of a dog, generally about 6 months, use a crate; you just might be saving its life.
The daring young puppy in the commode is a very young Burley Dog..

10 comments:
I want to thank you for this piece. I have always supported crate training and I will tell you why. I went thru the Northridge earthquake in 1994. During this houses went down and fences went down. You can imagine how terrorized the pets were. There were dogs and cats running down the streets in pack, totally scared and confused. Many people never found their pets afterwards. Have to mention that your house is thrown apart and glass is everywhere, dangerous to a cat or dog running around like crazy. Having a crate set up and ready to go may have prevented many pets from getting away. A pet who uses their crate as a bed would have gotten a sense of security during this time.Since that time I always have crates set up in the house, ready to go. Also, dogs use crates as their bed and being pack animals, there is a sense of security in the crate. It keeps the kids from stepping on and over them, it is their own world that no one comes into. Also, I went thru the San Bernardino fires of 2003 where thousands of pets were evacuated. Where did these pets have to go, into crates. Many (most) dogs had not been crate trained and had to be tranquilized during their evacuation. This wasn't right but it was necessary. Crate training prior to a disaster would have made the trauma a little less for these dogs and cats. And what about a pet that has to have confinement due to surgery? If they are not use to a crate, they can make matters worst when they are put into a crate. I feel everyone should use a crate as a dog bed and keep crates set up, ready to go in their homes. I felt so strongly about this that I developed beautiful crate covers that also provide additional safety and makes the kennel feel more like a den. Now my crates can be used as part of my decor and look appropriate in my home. It is not cruel to think ahead and provide for the safety of your pet. Thank you again for putting this info on your blog. Maybe it will save a pet during a disaster as well as keep pets out of the shelters.
We don't crate, but we have taught the guys how to use one. For them the crate means " we are going back east" bring on the treats and turn up the music. I started them as puppies so they would like it, but in the house they " den" at my feet. My older dogs potty train my newer ones. I could see that a crate might be helpful, but I always block them in whatever room I was in so I could watch their needs. I think traveling or adopting a new grown dogs might be very strong uses.
I feel that crates need to be in the area that the family stays in but most people don't like the sight of the crate in their living room. In order to encourage people to have a ready to go crate is why I developed my crate covers which are fine pieces of furniture. With the door left open, the dog is free to use it to relax or not. In places like California where earthquakes are a possibility at any moment, I feel a crate set up inside the house at all times is necessary for the dog's safety. When your doors warp during a quake and the crate is in the garage, it's too late then. I don't like crates to be kept away from the main living area because I want the dog to be a part of the family. It's just their little retreat, out of the way, and yet visually acceptable.
We must share a funny story on crating. I was speaking with a new friend who, it turns out, used to own a Newfie. She had called as we were heading out the door for the Canyon, so after a brief greeting, I announced the dogs were crated and waiting to go....Her answer made my day... she said "Good Grief, how do you lift it ?"
Yep, true story. She had pictured a crate in the living room and we just tossed that in the truck or van.....not quite !
Our 3 xxx large crate is bolted to the bed of the pickup and has a snazzy cover with windows, and screens, the two Newfies fit very nicely in there. Oreo goes in her own sky kennel.
With giant breeds one has to be able to get the dog to the crate because once the dog is in the crate you are not moving that puppy. I understand the dollies from shows and such, but most homes won't allow that much turning room; but you did give me a couple of good ideas. We have triple x crates in both vehicles and two gallons of water as well as extra leashes and tie-outs. Because we back onto open space, when the lightening storms hit we roll the cars out of the garage. We have woried about the earthquake and the shifting as you mention, but leaving the cars sitting out is not an option. So even though we don't have a crate in our house for the aforementioned reasons, our dogs do know " crates are your friend" thanks for all you added insight into this subject P_.
Our veterinarian suggested we start crating Lucy about two months before we transferred to Reno, it was a good idea. She feels like she brought her comfort zone with her. Hounds like to run and when you open the car door they take off, but putting her in the crate gives my wife better control of her. No more charging past us out the door. She doesn't use one in the house, but that may be due to the late age she was introduced to it. She has a round "day bed" and we put that in the crate when we travel, it's the same one she has slept on for years.
I do think some people may use a crate instead of even trying to train. I see on some blogs they are seen as the answer for every issue, I know they have a place in the dog world today, but many of us have owned dogs for decades and never used a crate. I believe they should be seen as a tool, like a leash or training collar, but not a panacea for every ill.
I have trained dogs for years and don't believe a crate has a place in training, but it is very useful for the safety of the animal. All dogs and Cats shuld be taught to use one , same as a harness or leash.
Crates are a part of life but I don't see one as a training device. I am old shcool, spend time with the dog to train it, or don't get a dog. I did think the article gave good information for people adopting a dog already formed in the wrong dierection. Crates should be a part of life, but not training. You don't want the animal stressing out when it is put in one.
When we got Digger and Dozer at the humane society almost a year ago, they told us they were crate trained. We think they must have been left in them to long because they don't wan't to go near them. After coming on this blog for a long time I am getting some new ideas, but the crate seems to have been abused in their case. As most of you know we were going to return them when one on the workers or volunteers at the place told us about a lady who trains adopted dogs in your home or park for free and gave us her number. For the past three months she has come to our home 2 or 3 times a week, and we have been able to stop the barking when I leave, also some other major issues. Because of Dozer starting to fight with everything in sight she has suggested we separate them when I leave. I think a crate might be good here. One for each dog and then it would be no chance for a fight. Reading the article on the " toss the done a bone" link, I honestly don't think Dozer should have been adopted out, he is not going to ever fuction normally, but we can let him live out his life here, and if a crate helps that, okay.The only time I ever see him completely relaxed is when he gets through with the lesson and he likes to curl up under her long skirts while we talk.
Here is the post I tried to put up relating to crates:
"I think that crates are great tools, for training as well as for safety reasons.
Our dogs seem comfortable in their den and often seek it out when things are stressful (the vacuum cleaner, loud guests, etc). Our two started crating together after our new girl had been in the home for about two months.
It is our cats working on crate training now, for use in travel for the most part. We leave their crates unlocked in the house, with bedding and often hidden treats. They enter and leave at will.
To start with the doors were taken off the crates but now they are just left un-latched. The cats will even open them with their paws to explore for treats or to settle in for a relax.
One of our orange boys had a near death experience with a urinary blockage a while back. While he normally a friendly outgoing (nearly outrageously so) cat, he was in such pain he did not want to be touched and was hissing at any contact. I placed his crate on my bed where he was laying motionless. He mustered the strength to crawl inside - he was then rushed off to the vet.
My biggest crate concern just now is there is no way to fix the crates, the critters, our emergency fit and the people in a little car.
I've thought about having a talk with our neighbors, both pet owners, about setting some sort of evacuation car-pool up for the lot of us!"
I tried to send it through through the Blogger profile! ...damn this is frustrating! Thanks for helping me and hanging in there through technical difficulties.
The ABOVE POST bearing Oreo's label is from "Corva" and her points are well taken...Due to technical difficulties Blogger is not letting her through. Thanks for the great post.
Post a Comment