Friday, May 2, 2008

Another Day, Another Park...For some dogs....

We did our spring park tour, fun to just load up the van and the dogs and hit all the local dog parks and see friends we have lost touch with over winter. In the midst of the joy of watching all the romping and running my mind flashed back to the " prisoners" the kenneled, confined and lost dogs of our society. I know we are mainly about dogs here, not because we don't care about the cats.....we love kitties, and we are not fond of what is happening to them either; it's just I want to cover one issue well.
We are going through an Eathquake swarm here in Reno, and over 500 quakes in 2 months has to be taking it's toll on all animals, but the kenneled ones must have a deeper fear. There are no indvidual pats on the head for them, or runs to burn off the stress. Just rows of other frightened dogs.. When I go to Petharbor.com and see dogs for zip 89505 at NHS with a year in the system, it is overwhelming. A lot of the old ones are gone now, but there are still many listed that have been in custody that long. If you think of how an animal has no way to express themselves in that environment, just live with the pain and the fear day in and day out. Per our PSA a foster can only be kept 6 months, so if we enforce that it is musical dogs, they come back in shelter for a couple of days and out again. I have seen some improvements in notes with the new dog manager, and I know he inherited a real mess. Lets hope they get it together there and start focusing on the animals they can place and stop with the " Campaign" mentality.
Pictured is the wonderful Oz, he and Oreo have been best friends for 8 years, he is a treasure to the community with his friendly smile and Aussie charm.

2 comments:

Cole David said...

There shuld be a time limit on how long any animal can be kept. End of story, some of these things are so out of line. It is confusing for the dogs to go back and forth like a ping pong ball, they don't know where home is when they do find one.

Compassion First said...

I went to that site and put in that zip code, there are some long term animals there, & it isn't set up as a sanctuary. If some of those dogs were in the building I didn't see them or they don't look like the picture. If the pictures are over a year old they would look different.I have read about all the volunteers but I didn't see any walking the dogs or having a plan of action. I saw a small group of people in blue shirts near the front so maybe they were setting a routine in place. Still haven't seen anything that would work for Lucy, but I haven't seen a person to ask. I have been offered puppies on some other site, but I don't want pitbull because of having a dog in the house already.