Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sparks Nevada Is Weary Of " Hosting Colonies"

Where are the Koi ?.. and what the hell is "hosting a colony" ..is that like having a BBQ in somebody else's backyard because you don't have room to take care of it in yours?  I think of hosting as an agreement between parties, so the City of Sparks has never "hosted" cat colonies. We may have at times, tolerated them, but never "hosted"
Two recent newspaper articles stirred the pot and started a dialogue, I share with you the numbers from screen grabs taken from the comments on those two articles. Since we are not yet a populist nation, we are a society of representation by elections.......these are just numbers of some local interest. Numbers are combined from both to avoid confusion. Break down available upon request, Oreo aims to please..
The comments to support the "ban on colonies"   were from all over the country and primarily people deeply involved in professional animal care, generally with letters behind their name :) There were 82 BAN comments
On the PRO Cat Colony ( save our furbabies, save our grants side ) There were 30 comments, 25 of those comments were from Nevada Humane Society Staff,  they even stated in their plea, that this would cost them funding......
Well guess what. I don't think we should pay Shelters to dump cats, so I don't feel pity for them.  The state law was never changed, they did try, however.  Therefore  per a legal opinion that has not been reversed by a higher authority, that opinion stands.  This is a land use issue, a zoning issue and why in hell would we allow illegal activity on any parcel within our City of Sparks? That puts Sparks in the " litigation seat" when one of these cats infect a citizen. Below is an excerpt:

. "However, at the present time, considering the exact wording of the statutes, ordinances and contacts related to this issue, the return aspect of the 'Spay/Neuter
Return"Program is an illegal abandonment of the cats and should not be sanctioned by Washoe County.
County Code does not authorize the County to return animals in our custody to the location where they are found nor does the PSA or state statute allow NHS to release animals in such a manner.
Sincerely,
RICHARD A. GAMMICK
Distict Attomey
TS:lm
cc: Barry Brode"

I just tossed that in for people who may not know...... The truth is, it's an impactive land use and even if it becomes legal in some areas, like prostitution, porn or fracking, it remains a dangerous and fiscally impactive land use...

6 comments:

retired ACO said...

this is interesting, by this opinion Animal Control's return in the field would be illegal too. If the owner were home to sign for the dog it would be fine, but just putting them in the yard with no one home or giving them to a neighbor is breaking the law.

Coney Island said...

NHS biggest worry is the loss of money by losing a label.They don't talk about the cats or the wildlife. Crazy cat ladies have always been a " don't ask don't tell issue, it was done on the down low and the cats were kept to a minimum. Now it's in your face and more cats than ever. I'm a NIMBY, I own it, don't give a damn what the cat ladies think of me. I don't want the cat's on my land and will not have them returned after I take them in. Next time they go to a Sacramento shelter. I hpe they are microchipped so the humane society has to go get them

HappyCamper said...

I sent this to the BOH..... usually one thinks the cat is located with the name on the rabies certificate, and that name is the owner, can anyone explain how that works..Here it is: NAC 441A.440  Veterinarians: Issuance of certificates of vaccination and rabies vaccination tags; cooperation with investigation by rabies control authority. (NRS 441A.120, 441A.410)
1.  A veterinarian who vaccinates an animal against rabies shall complete three copies of a certificate of vaccination against rabies for the animal vaccinated. The certificate of vaccination against rabies must include, but is not limited to:
(a) The name and address of the owner of the animal. ( Which is NOT the address of the cat, nor is the caretaker an Owner )
(b) A description of the animal, including the name, age, sex, breed, color and weight of the animal.
(c) The date the vaccination was administered.
(d) The product name of the vaccine used.
(e) The lot number of the vaccine.
(f) The date the animal is due for revaccination based on the duration of immunity provided by the vaccine according to its label.
(g) The number on the rabies vaccination tag issued pursuant to subsection 3.
(h) The name, address and license number of the veterinarian.
(i) The signature of the veterinarian who administered the vaccine. The signature may be handwritten, stamped or produced by a computer.
2.  The veterinarian shall:
(a) Provide the original copy of the certificate of vaccination to the owner of the animal;
(b) Provide a copy of the certificate of vaccination to the rabies control authority; and
(c) Retain a copy of the certificate of vaccination for the period that the vaccination is current.
3.  A veterinarian who vaccinates an animal against rabies shall issue to the owner a metal rabies vaccination tag, serially numbered to match the number on the certificate of vaccination against rabies. A rabies vaccination tag must not conflict with the shape or color of local license tags.
4.  A veterinarian shall cooperate with any investigation of an animal bite, or of a case having rabies or suspected case considered to have rabies, by providing all information requested by the rabies control authority.
(Added to NAC by Bd. of Health, eff. 1-24-92; A by R047-99, 9-27-99)

ExPetCop said...

Wow, it seems someone has a lot of pent up issues not related to the topic.

Happy Camper said...

Good Morning expetcop, yes I am letting Deborah B hang her self, the comment is time stamped to her hit on the statcounter so I have screen grabbed this To report her to her server, Many of the hits are from nHS......I have their IP labeled, and those of their employees are coming up as well,. I hope they continue to post.

Happy Camper said...

Good Morning expetcop, yes I am letting Deborah B hang her self, the comment is time stamped to her hit on the statcounter so I have screen grabbed this To report her to her server, Many of the hits are from nHS......I have their IP labeled, and those of their employees are coming up as well,. I hope they continue to post.
It appears our little buddy is doing a copy paste hoping to beat the meter, doesn't work that way....... Good Lord, Viewed 10 pages in 2 hours Oreo has a new admirer.........