I have been told by some of our more fervent rescue types that I lack compassion. Now, for a man of the cloth, that could be a bad thing. I see many people today who are in emotional turmoil and they label it compassion, I lean toward the logic that will get the job done. Hysteria is not a solution although if you follow Mr. Winograd long enough you could be swayed.
True compassion is not talking, it's doing. Does an animal have shelter, food and medical care ? Because without those things, quality of life is poor, love is never enough. Animals require care, that costs money. Love is the supplement. Somehow this generation has missed that point and belatedly joined the hippee movement. I expect at any moment to see Mr' Winograd open his NKC with " love is all we need " playing in the background with a light show. Fluff and balderdash, lets see how Mr. Schneider handles our 400 or so cats. A few pitbulls" free " doesn't seem to be drawing a crowd, it would appear from here that skill would go a long way to bail " compassion " out of the soup.
Warm and fuzzy doesn't cut it, and frankly Mr. Winograd is failing at that lately. We need aggressive spay and neuter incentives, although with the latest batch of pit puppies on Craigslist I doubt there is a demand for fixing one's pet. The other issue we have lately is rescues bringing in out of area dogs. These are often not altered and do end up in the county side, along with the out of area parasites and heartworm.
I've been following Oreo's venture into finding lost dogs, it's been a lesson in tenacity. There is a mission and it's to be followed. Our mission in animal welfare should be to reduce population, not keep juggling animals like circus clowns.
I have seen so many compassionate people get burn out, the hand wringers don't get that, because all they do is talk about what should be done. The doers get worn down by the reality of it all. Please spay neuter, and if you need a little extra cash, rob a bank; but please don't have a litter of puppies.
For the love of Christ
Chap
Saturday, July 6, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
100% right Amen
Bless you Kev. I think we need common sense to get the population under control. Hysteria is not a solution.
Post a Comment