Thursday, November 1, 2012

To Breed, Or Not Breed, Dancing OnThe Surface Of A Painful Topic

Should this dog be permitted to be born ? Over my years of animal welfare efforts, I've made so many wonderful friends...The key has been our ability to agree to disagree.  Civility, however, keeps getting pushed to the back, and that is going to be the final nail in the collaboration coffin. Our language is changing, becoming a touch more harsh, a defensive, accusatory edge, is pulling us apart.  The word "breeder" has become the "N" word of the 30's and 40's.  The personal accomplishments didn't matter, the stereotype was firmly in place, the stigma ordained, and the person condemned.  What is a "Breeder", is there a defination that can put a face on that awful process ?
 Our state defines it in the Revised Statutes,

“Breeder” defined. “Breeder” means a dealer, operator or other person who is responsible for the operation of a commercial establishment engaged in the business of breeding dogs or cats for sale or trade. The term does not include a person who breeds dogs or cats as a hobby.
Yet in my experince, those are the ones who generally do not have a plan to deal with left over puppies. Some advocates have redefined those people as " backyard breeders" ... I am not sure which is more disgusting in the minds of the " other advocates" . These days, when I speak my mind about the breeding of domestic pets I become " pro-breeder, if I say the there is a over-population of pets,then I am " pro-kill".  If I say humane euthansia is kinder than death on the streets I am a " killing apologist" If I try to explain a person's right to choose the type of animal they will share their domain with for the next 15 years, I am a " pit-hater"...let's face it people, most of the dogs left in the shelter system are pit mixes.......There is extreme reaction on all sides of this issue, with absolutely no willingness to listen to a differing point of view.. I support the breeding of animals in humane conditions, that would include social stimulation.  I do not believe animals will become extinct if breeders are forced out of business; nor do I believe the general public will suddenly adopt a " shelter dog" if they have no choice. 
The general public is not stupid, they know what will work in their lives, and  frankly are not looking to rehab a pet.  I have many friends who operate a rescue, sane rescue people " get this".. Next, and I hope, a final point for this post.  The urban myth that 25% of shelter pets are purebred, is just that, a myth.  I have been tracking 10 cities  that post animals on petharbor , they are typical American cities .  Looking at their petharbor sites 3 times a week has offered a good look into the population of that shelter.  None of these places has anything like 25% purebred population. Any reader, please feel free to direct me to your shelter with  a higher that 15%  of purebred dogs over a 3 month period.  A puppy mill bust, or a hoarding case is atypical..and makes a very small localized spike in breed specific population.  BTW, Laberdoodles, Chiweenies,  & Cockapoos are not purebred. They are often intentionally bred, but not purebred.  verbiage is everything. Know what you are against, if you want to be effective, same with AKC.  I've met people who despise the American Kennel Club, repeating stories of  pets from shelters being used for " puppymills", false paperwork. innuendo goes on forever.  Nobody has offered any evidence, just "he said/she said " I heard from a friend I used to work with, who heard it from her husbands cousin."
For the love of God, deal with shelter population as a group of Species, then hit the spay/neuter programs for all they are worth.  Hitting the breeders, as a soft, visible target, will not fix the problem.  Just assuming you find a shelter out somewhere in Missouri dumping Cockers on a shelter, that still leaves 85% of the population as mongrels, those people are a little harder to target.  We have to regulate breeders,have a stock limit and a pet limit, we have to enforce existing laws, but even more urgent than that, we have to regulate rescues and fosters, because that dear reader is where the problem is right now.  Craiglist is not populated by breeders, I wish it were that easy.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your robot detector is being a pain in the a**

Anonymous said...

This has been a summer of research. The rescue community will throw a hissy fit about being regulated. It's long overdue for a lot of them though. No dog leaves my rescue on a contract. Those are hardly ever honored or enforced. if you are suggesting that rescues are held to the same standards as shelters I support that. There are to many animals in a box in someones basement, waiting for their furever home. What could be put in place to control the releasing of animals into less than acceptable standards of care ?

Happy Camper said...

Thanks Sharon,hope all is well in King County. I am saying the rescues should be held to the same standards as any publicly run shelter. They often hold the dog longer, and need to provide minium room and care. Many of our local rescues have flyers up saying
" I've had Roscoe 6 months, can't keep any longer, need another foster ASAP, needs training and med care" What the hell is that Sharon? They are just moving the dogs from foster to foster with no improvement in the dogs status.

Honesty Helps said...

A "hobby" is making macrame or jewelry, never should breeding, the making of life, be considered a hobby.