Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Memphis Animal Services Has It Goin' On..

I want to refererence briefly back to the " Facebook Friend Or Foe " post down a bit on this page.  After seeing the abuse of pictures on YB, I started to congratulate myself for being right.  No point in posting them for Shirley to twist and turn ugly, besides which I don't think the " payback" is all that much for high turnover shelters.That said, it appears the upper management has decided to finally back it's manager and support the shelter from the animal rightists. Mr. Pepper was on the right track, but the Mayor hadn't got his belly full yet, I think by now,the administration has figured out that there is no pleasing the Biscuit Bunch, so why bother.  Shirley is not a Stakeholder in Memphis, nor is she truly interested in Memphis or animals in general, her agenda is Nathan Winograd.
What most of us are seeing is simply a path of destruction, no goal, no plan, Winograd doesn't even have a manager type to install unless he wants to fob Reno's goofy Mitch Schneider off on MAS.  How sad that would be, having come so close to getting rid of all dealings with the Biscuit, only to end up with Mitch.  Shall we say a prayer the Mr. Rogers stays?  I have invited any and all to go to delawarecapa.blogspot/ to get a good look at Reno, you will see what I have tried to say over the years here. No Kill is a spiritual and financial disaster.
I love the concept of background and home checks for strong breeds, the volunteers are amazing in their dedication to bringing sustainable change with realistic expectations..  Mr. Winograd is trying to stoke his engines in Sacramento and we are ready for him, hang in there Memphis, it's been a long fight, but it's starting to look like Mr. Winograd may have to get a day job yet.  On the Mama dog, she looks like a typical sweet faced fighting dog, and we all know the better the fighter the more they are bred.  At her old age I would say this was her last litter, I would let her go in peace.  You don't rehome fighting dogs and even if she wasn't a pro she definitely fought, and since she is still up and about, I would say quite well. I hope Memphis takes Mama dog as a clue to get the pictures off PetHarbor, the demographics don't support the trouble they are bringing..   I know when Reno stands on it's hind legs the NKNJ's are going to rip them to pieces too. Almost there Bonney Brown, almost making you pay your way and do your job or move on.

9 comments:

SouthernBelle said...

We do somethings right in Memphis and somethings need some work.. We don't need Shirley's beds, we do need more employee's.I don't think we should put owner turn ins online because they are not here long enough to really be adopted out, those are the first pts if we're full. So why would we look for trouble. I think the strays should be up there and let Shirley scream all she wants, why did city hall ever give her the dime of day anyway? The Friends could put the adoptables on the Friends page and people who really want a dog or cat will come on down.

SuburbanGirl said...

Shirley's bed fiasco is just another example of people acting who can't see the big picture.

The Biscuits see a comfy bed, but I look at it and I see a luxury hotel for bacteria, viruses and other cooties. While the cloth cover might be something that can be sanitized, the foam pad is not. The shelter cannot safely reuse this bed, and no one with any sense would take this bed into their own home after it's had a few days to soak up germs. Putting this bed in the kennel means valuing the dog's short-term comfort over her longer-term health.

There are no simple solutions to our problems here in Memphis. I do however believe that there are long-term goals and plans being put into place even though I take issue with some of the fine details that I see right now.

They Call Me Chap said...

100% correct, many of the inmates when I was still going into the prison preferred not to have a mattress. What new ideass would you bring forward for MAS?

Lil'Bird said...

Memphis is going to get stronger about all this garbage. I think of myself as a recovered YB'er and I know the whole mentality. I have been as bitter as Mikken or any of them. It's scary to look back and believe I ever wished anybody harm, but I did. Wherever Mr. Pepper is, I wish him well and he's lucky to be away from the Biscuits. You know somedays we would share 200 emails. Not sayin' one damn thing but we are a typing away. The answer is to get away from your keyboard and get closer to the problem which is pet overpopulation. I may never be healthy enough to come volunteer at the shelter, but I'm doing what I can. @ Suburbangirl, when you don't know the problem you are guessing at the answer. Shirley thinks beds and emails are an answer, staff, money and putting unadoptable animals down is the answer.

SuburbanGirl said...

I'm not sure I have any new ideas that I haven't suggested to the appropriate staff members (one idea which I got the okay to work on). I do wish that the adoption and healthy hold areas were flip-flopped so that it would be a shorter, less disruptive trip getting dogs who can be walked out into the play yard for some exercise. There's probably some very good reason though for the floor plan being what it is.

I also have some "wish list" items ... I would love it if we were able to offer low cost heartworm treatment for dogs adopted from the shelter. I don't think it's feasible right now with current staffing, but it would be great down the road and would help increase adoptions since so many of the dogs who come in are HW positive.

Happy Camper said...

Hey Chap, hope you are having as much fun with Blogger as we are at Oreo's. it's refusing comments. I think the dog you mentioned is not the one the YB's call Momma dog, she had a lost litter, the other is a blue pit used to a fighting life. I like SG's idea of working on HW positive dogs, just wonder if it's the non approved use drug which will work, but don't think a vet could prescribed for HW treatment. Correct me if I'm wrong SG. I really just want to see if you can post, I can't :)

SuburbanGirl said...

I was writing about treating with Immiticide (the FDA approved drug). I have other wish list items, but this is definitely the top of the list for me.

We Be Clean, We Be Happy said...

I took the above picture off the web and then I thought I should have gotten permission. So I tried to take it down, that is not me. I will rewrite my opinions when I see if I've connected the picture right this time.

They Call Me Chap said...

@ We Be Clean, I finished taking your comment off for you. I am interested in all feedback and a groomer would be a good place to learn how to make animals more presentable.