Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hoarding, No Kill, & Living In The Problem.. Lauretta's Down Fall..

This is what the hoarder sees, very different from how the rest of us view the situation.. Where the normal person sees overcrowding, depression, and even dying animals, the hoarder has a distorted view of their captive pets.  Whatever the gauzey film, that filters out reality for them, the rest of us look on in horror with unshielded eyes Where Lauretta saw kittens nestled, outsiders saw squalor.  We are not sypmathizers of Lauretta, we feel her seizure was long overdue, and will only briefly deter her misguided mission.  So, while our story gives a nod to  her tale of woe it's not about Lauretta. Nor will we linger long on the condition of the cats, it is the belief of this blog that many of those cats were given to her in condition that was near death.  I believed her when she said she wanted them to have quiet and dignity at the end,  she didn't want them to die alone in their cage at the shelter.   They weren't trolled from unknowing  sources on Craigslist or the classifieds.  Her cats came from WCRAS staff and volunteers, as well as NHS staff and rescues.  All of them knew this lady had a problem with hoarding, yet in the interest of manipulating the live release rate they put the cats into the care of a very disturbed lady.  I'm sure the people who surrendered their cats to the Nevada Humane Society never considered the fact their animals would be given to a hoarder, or worse yet, become dinner for a hobo down by the Truckee River. Lauretta's cats were evidence in a criminal hoarding case, and yet they were given to outside custody to be  maintained off parcel in an unstaffed, unsecured building. That's stupid, and irresponsible.. How were animals taken from the public by siezure, under a hearing date, transferred to NHS ? By what authority did NHS have an opinion on the condition of the cats.  They have no Field Services, no trained Humane Officer, they are nothing in this case.. If a statement of care was to be considered it should be an independent Veternarian hired by the County, not the vet we share with NHS.
So why was NHS  entrusted with impounded pets  belonging to a citizen ?  Mitch Schnieder has no right to transfer animals under county care elsewhere for storage.  As a matter of policy that animal still has an owner. We would like to see where Mr.Schnieder had authority to put a citizens animals in civilian care. Sure isn't authorized in WCC 55. While we're at it, lets find out why any agency is storing sick ringworm & feral cats in a substandard building ?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoarders are the beneficiaries of No Kill.

Anonymous said...

I have been on this story since it took off, Lauretta is a neighbor of mine. I didn't have the nerve to turn her in, but thank the person who did. She thought of herself as a hospice and took cats that were in very bad condition and should have been pts. It's nice to know when she gets to select her 10 cats to keep she will be bringin ringworm into the neighborhood. Thanks to NHS everybody can have ringworm.

Happy Camper said...

Dear anon, Ringworm is treatable, but you shouldn't have your cats exposed to disease while in County custody.Mitch was out of line to let NHS into county business and should lose his job; he does it badly anyway.

JJ said...

Typical law enforcement...
I'd have happily turned her in. Actually in my younger days, I'd have stolen half her cats and gotten them the medical care they needed and then found them appropriate homes. o__o

Ringworm is treatable, but it's bad and easily caught by people, which makes most of us shy away and go EWWW. (it does me, at least.)

This shouldn't still be happening in this day and age. If there's anything that ticks me off about people who have these revolutionary plans to "change things" it's the fact that they're all talk and expect someone else to do the dirty work for them.

=____=

Happy Camper said...

I bet you would have JJ, we all feel like that at times don't we?
However, Lauretta is the symptom, the No Kill nuts giving her the cats are the real problem. i want to get the word out on where she got them. In a sad way she is a victim too, first of her mental issues, and the having the releasing agency and the charging agency being one and the same. little bizzare....

To many cats said...

i have about 20 cats living next door to me, the animal control officer who came out to give me a hand said he read this blog. For starters I don't hate cats, I don't have any, and I don't want any. That doesn't mean I am evil. I wrote to the newspaper and ended up on some stupid blog where they attacked me. these cats are a pain, under my window, tearing up the vegetable garden, wetting on the porch. If I trap them and turn them in I guess they just bring them somewHow can somewhere else. Isn't it illegal to have 20 cats? she says she doesn't own them, they're feral.

Happy Camper said...

Absolutely agree JJ ! But that is the pain of the numbers game of No Kill and TNR. Gotta put those cats somewhere and ANYPLACE will do. I am sure Lauretta is heartbroken because in her mind they were fine, she is already collecting again I am certain.

Yogizilla said...

Wow.. Where to start?

I'll just piggyback off my cohort, JJ. In other words, I agree!

Now, thinking about what "too many cats" said, sheesh.. It's that sort of irresponsible behavior that give pets and pet owners alike a bad rep! I love cats but that is too much. Who is held accountable when there is that level of property damage and nuissance? Is it animal control or the crazy that's drawing all the animals in by feeding them? Hmmmm...

Anywho, the Lauretta story is wow, just WOW.. Again, LOVE cats but this is a form of abuse under the guise of hospice...

Happy Camper said...

@ to many cats, there is a law in place currently that has 7 cats per household maximum. Lauretta had 44. Washoe County has a half-a--- program called Community Cats that started a project they don't know how to finish. NHS went around dumping cats and calling them colonies, the crazy cat ladies became Feral Cat Caregivers. Big problem none of the goofy stuff is codified into ordinance. At least Lauretta kept hers inside. Can you imagine living next door to 44 cats?
On the enforcement side of the 20 cats, that is over the limit and I personally think its outdoor hoarding.

Anonymous said...

As a former vet tech at NHS I know we gave many cats to rescues that should have been put down. I don't know if Lauretta was collecting while I worked there or not. Cats were also allowed to "die a natural death " in their cages. Thats when I left. Coming in to dead cats in the morning, knowing they suffered. The hospital I have been at since leaving there will not allow a cat to die of Felv without treatment.
If that shelter is the model for no kill we are in deep shit. At least it's clean at animal services. They aren't stuck in a damn cage for 2 years.