Nobody could have guessed 11 years ago watching Oreo noshing on a tennis ball, being quite calm while her siblings raced about, that she was destined for greatness. Oreo grew up to be an " inspirational instructor" that said, she taught people to live well. Early on, going to dog shows and watching her sib's running around the ring, she sat on a folding chair at the judges table making friends and influencing people. Even at 4 month's she had the smooth way of drawing people into her view of things. I have cried, it's hard to hit the keyboard without Oreo here beside me, big button eyes on the monitor. She always sat in the wicker rocking chair which amazed me, how she managed to not fall on her butt is beyond me. But she never took the role of observer, she participated fully in life. She was the official greeter on trails and in dog parks, the first to run up and drop her ball for inspection by her new friend.
In her later years she picked up a fascination with Rattlesnakes that made me very nervous, and resulted in her being run on a 25 foot rope. No sooner would we hit the wilds than her nose would go up, and then I would hear the dreaded rattle. I would throw her ball in the opposite direction and off she would go, letting the Rattler be. At Rancho the ball would whiz through the air and she would fly on winged feet, if a closer dog got the ball, she sat politely waiting til he gave it back, or she trotted back to me for a replacement. I taught her early there were always more balls where that one came from, and they were never worth being rude over. She had more social graces than most people I know. She loved to run along behind my bike on the trail along the wetlands, she thought that was absolute heaven. She got to race full tilt, and still keep an eye on Mom, best of both worlds.
Oreo struggled with several health issues after a cruciate repair, the general anesthetic had a strong effect on her, and we had to change her life style a bit. She lost her tear production and the vet worked for a year,trying everything, before a new product came on the market that allowed Oreo to live in relative comfort for 5 more years. We had a full tube of it when she passed away, so we gave it to some other clients, Oreo's version of being a "donor"...... Working for a vet, and having several dogs in the last fifty years, I know that animals often have reflex movement after the heart stops, I had never seen more than a gentle movement, much like a dog sleeping.....Oreo, however, opened her eyes, turned her head, and looked at me for a second, put a paw on my foot and gently lowered her head, closing her eyes again. I have always believed those movements were directed by impulses from the brain. A reflection of the brains last intention if you will. At home, here at the computer, when ready for bed; Oreo would curl up, give me a look of love and put one paw and her head on my foot. I am crying again.
I guess what I wanted to share with the gentle reader is the importance of having a steady relationship with a vet. Not everyone is as blessed as we have been to go to the same vet hospital for 30 years, but keep a visit going, it reduces anxiety. Oreo was always a little different after her cruciate repair....she sensed the rest of her life was changed that day. Prior to that she had walked in like she owned the place, after, there was some trepidation., not really fear, but an awareness of her vulnerability. But on the day, the final day, there was no fear, only Dr. Janet, a familiar face, in a familiar place. Do that for your guys if you can..........
Pictured is Oreo shortly before her death, an old gal, napping in the sun...
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
An amazing dog that loved you every moment of every second of everyday. Good Dog !!! With your heartfelt post I cry with you today.
Thank you......I have several posts to put up, my main tower in in for repairs, and the lap top is not the best for me. I wish we had a button" do not publish" for some reason they don't offer one. The best thing is to put NOT FOR PUBLICATION as the first line of the message.I will add your email to Oreo's guest list.
Oreo will never be gone. She will live on through the work she started. I loved that picture, was it taken recently ? I am sorry I never got to meet her, I can picture her running behind a bicyle through the years. I am sorry, I have followed this blog for a couple of years and hope you keep it going for the sake of the animals. I know it must hurt to see her name though.
OMG What happened, never mind, sorry. My heart reaches out to you, and I hope when Oreo reaches the bridges she comforts all the animals who never had love before. She had so much to give. I do believe she looked at you one last time, I believe you were her final thought because over the years the pictures say you were always on her mind.
A legend in dog speak is lost. I can only believe that oreo is up in heaven waiting for you. She loved to play, but she was so devoted to you that I think she got a pass over to the human side. The animals of King County salute her and as the only GSD rescue in our neck of the woods, I get to see a lot of her kinfolk; I will give the nameless, the gift of Oreo....my acount is not working but this is KCACC Sharon
From a purely selfish point of view, I hope you carry on Oreo's good work. San Antonio will be forever in her debt I could not write sooner, how can you get so attached to a dog clear across the country you have never met? Her dedication and inspiration have helped thousands of animals.I can only imagine your grief, I am so sorry, but please stay open, sane people need oreo.
Can I still call you that or do you have a new handle ? We are following your work in the legislature, keep up the good fight for for animal welfare and down with Animal Rightists, the purveyers of pain, as Oreo called them. Do you think Miss Priss will follow in her pawprints ? Spouse said there have been more animal cruelty cases related to animals pulled from NNSPCA and Jacobs is laying low, they do are giving away animals. See, they could be No Kill as long as they had an open admission shelter to take the leftovers & rejects; but now that NHS is No Kill ( you do know they are killing madly ? )all systems are overloaded. Like everybody else, I hope you keep Oreo up and running and she should have given years of material.
Spouse here;
Happy Camper, Shel and I are so sorry, and I wish Oreo could have lived long enough to finish the fight she so bravely entered into.
Like the others, I am pleading if it is bearable to keep on writing, I know Oreo's spirit lives on in her rocker. How are the other big guys taking her loss?
Thank you all so much, the plan is to stay online until our shelter is safe, but I do burst into tears everytime I log in here. Sometimes it seems like her Rocker is moving gently, so I put a teddy bear in there.....the big guys are lost, and my candle carries a softer flame, but we shall not flicker out.
I see many old friends on here, is that jennie with the two pitties Dozer & digger? Long time no see. Mate is doing well in his agility, but works better with a handler I know she is much read in all corners of this country because when we go to trials, this blog comes up. I think the world will be the first major group to see through this.. I was at Rancho hoping to see you guys a few weeks ago and bumped into Truckee Labs.
I have cried every day since I heard. I don't usually post, I am a volunteer at NHS and feel almost ashamed to even hang out with you good people. I cling to the belief that the crazy leader will go back to Marshalls where she belongs and I can run a decent rescue again.
Pease stay open, I work with the dogs at NHS and the return rate is awful, we need a voice and if Oreo has to use a spirit body it's fine with us. We know the powers that be are giving you a hard time, but use Oreo's courage and stay up.
Kevin
Indiana sends prayers and I cry with you. I always thought german shepherds with floppy ears were sweet and Oreo gave proof for that. My shelter is recovering from Doug Rae,we will be trying to kill less but never again get involved with no kill. I read you every day during that time and hope Oreo's death doesn't end the blog.
Post a Comment