Saturday, December 18, 2010

We Have Been Busy.

The steady stream of unwanted and unloved continue to flow daily into the shelters, human and animal.. Yes I have gone back to helping at Sally's.  I had promised my wife I really was retired, but volunteers are in short supply. The children and the animals are most tragic, they are caught in a web not of their own making.
Sometimes it feels we should build them a shuttle from Sac to Reno, back and forth . Snow in Reno, so they will come down here and then migrate back up there to panhandle & prostitue.
C'mon Chap, I say to myself, where are you going with this ? Hard to write stuff, from one of my collegues in Reno. He oversees the Tent City  on a rotation basis.  Recently NHS had a big thing about getting food for the homeless peoples pets, took a mobile vaccination clinic, they thought they had found a whold new market for their unadoptables.  Anyone could see the trouble brewing there, except the Nevada Humane Society.
About 3 days after one of the larger campaigns to get their name in the paper, the City of Reno swooped in with an ordinance banning pets at Tent City.  According to my friend there had been an incident a fews weeks prior that had ended up with a man stabbing his girlfriends pitbull to death during a domestic dispute.  He doesn't know if Animal Control was called, but nothing was done.  It left a bad taste in the mouths of the social workers, but the homeless took it in stride and went on.   What was to follow was horrific.  In a separate unrelated incident a man high on narcotics decided his sleeping dog had something hidden in her stomach. He sliced the poor thing from vulva to throat and entrails were everywhere.  Animal Control said it was a police issue. I think it's animal cruelty on more than one count. Putting these dogs in these dangerous living conditions is inhumane, don't kid yourself.  On many occasions while working at the 4th street shelter store a homeless person would try to tie a dog up out front.  When asked where they got the dog it was always given to them by the Humane Society in a free promotion.  They were promised food and free shots.   Pets make great begging tools and are conversation starters.  I had observed many of the pets were very old and small.  I think maybe the owners brought them into be put to sleep, and because that would ruin their numbers, they gave them away instead to live with the bums by the river. 
We have our animal abuse down here, it's everywhere, but giving animals to homeless people is not done here and should not be permitted anywhere...
Remember the reason for the Season, our Savior, Christ the Lord,
Chap

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody, my name is Slurpee! They call me that because I love, love to give SLURPS... aka KISSES to everyone and other dogs! I have been at the Nevada Humane Society for a year and a half now and I REALLY want to have a wonderful home! I am a young adult who has a lot of energy and I need a home that can provide me with lots of activity. I enjoy playing with other dogs and could probably live with a cat if properly introduced. I cannot be adopted by a family with small children because I'm a big boy. I would like to meet your older children and dogs before being adopted. Please check out my pictures at http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17548049. I have gained some weight since being at NHS and really could use some help by putting me on a diet and walking me often! I guarantee I will make you a loving new family member.... come see me and if you love Slurpee's... well you will have come to the right place! Ask for me by name because I'm sure everyone knows me there! See you there!!!!

I read your profile. Hoarding is exactly what it is. I copied the blurb above from Craigslist Dec.17,2010. Whoever adoopts this fella will have their hands full. I volunteer at NHS and we have a vow of secrecy, but what I read on the main posting put me over the edge. Keeping young healthy dogs kenneled for months and years is cruel

Anonymous said...

While what you say is true, I know for a fact that the State of California gives out "helper" dog permits at the drop of a hat. Often times, these dog owners not only have issue that make it hard for them to take care of themselves, but also the helper dog. All it takes is letter from some well-meaning, liberally-minded MD or pyscologist to write a letter and sign off on it. I understand that many believe pet ownership is good the person, but from a reasonable amount of personal experience, I can say with authority that shelters and rescues do no favors for any animal they place in the hands of most street people or those living on the edge of society. Most do not have the resources to properly care for them, and as you point out, can be detrimental to the health and well being of the animal. I seen these animals starved and physically abused myself. For the shelters and rescues, it always a number game. And the animals always will lose ultimately.
Signed, Just Another Nutjob Nobody (007)

Robert said...

Not only are dogs in homeless situations at jeopardy, the other homeless people are. I tried to turn my dogs into a no kill shelter last month after being out of work for 6 months. They gave me such a line of crap I took them to the pound. I felt lousy, but what the hell can I do, I am living with friends who have dogs of their own. Most days my wife and I are lucky to keep a roof over the kids head. After what we wnt through I will never again donate to the shelters.

They Call Me " Chap" said...

Sorry if you guys have been waiting long. We are having internet server problems and not being able to update and check mail. Tonight we have a connection.