Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Oreo Says " Who Can A Girl Trust ? Really "

A recent " un-announced " visit to our local animal shelter, was not un-announced really.... Sad to say but true. I didn't think the person we had to deal with had enough integrity to keep any word, or vow, and it's boring to be right all the time. Sometimes the bad guy has to prove how stuborn he can be. My Mama used to say that about my Brother, if you can't be right, be stubborn in your wrongness. It was a photo-op for the ass-holes and they played it to the hilt. There was a small accomplishment, however, it was the first time the private side had been clean and had volunteers.... all for little ol' us. One building which is not designed for animal storage these days didn't get checked because we thought they might play by the rules, seems we mis-judged. Several staff told Oreo later, it's still used for animal storage, even tho it was replaced because it was unfit.
There was an old GSD on Petharbor, pretty broken down and clearly not capable of being stray...seems the owner brought it in to be put down because it couldn't walk. The new policy is no animal will be destroyed without approval from the " partner" that is truly one dead brain cell thinking......Well the old guy couldn't walk and had trouble standing, but WCRAS kept the poor creature 9 days, on concrete, immobile and unable to escape his own fecal matter. Do you think an old 15 year old house pet was afraid in that envirionment ?, perhaps felt defenseless against all those young aggressive dogs. Wonder what went on in his head spending his last nine days alive in a strange place in pain, when all his owner wanted was to bring him peace and freedom from the pain. This is a new low for Washoe County Regional Animal Services and I hope they are sincerely ashamed of their lack of compassion. Just when you think the slime can't crawl any lower, they surprise you. Next time you see all those old helpless creatures on Pet Harbor, you will know the truth, they aren't strays and they aren't adoptable, but they are captive. I hope a gentle reader out there doesn't have to look up and see some nut job dragging his beloved, but sick dog down the street after a " free adoption" senior to senior, ya know.... Or, have it's image on Petharbor, barely standing, burned into their mind forever because of some misguided perhaps well meaning fool. This truly was a sickening day, and yes dear readers, Oreo is back with a vengance. Dispicable cowards, and all for the mighty dollar, Sancho, bring me my sword !!
Pictured is Oreo, pleading for one more splash of Parmesan Cheese on her food, she got it....

18 comments:

Truckee River Labs said...

All right, where would the indigent person go who wanted to give his dog a painless end?

Anonymous said...

One supposes they can "go to hell" Truckee. This is dreadful and not surprising. As Oreo knows I monitor comparable shelters via Petharbor for surrender trends, I have noticed all the disabled, old lame dogs. This is an abomination and you must go before your council to stop it. In our shelter, this animal would have been put down at once to avoid the fear factor, what kind of barbarians are running the shelter these days, have they no empathy for animals whatsoever ? It is despicable, that is the clearest defination.

Compassion First said...

I read this several times, are you saying the pound doesn't put down dogs if you can't afford to go to a vet? Isn't that a law ? I can't stop thinking about the old dog and getting pissed. Are the other older dogs there the same?

Happy Camper said...

Not every old dog pictured is brought in to be put to sleep, but our concern is the ones who are; should be. Some of those may be people in the hospital, or jail or lost their homes, but some like the 14 year old blind lab,... come on people, they are not stray.

Anonymous said...

Did the indigent person try to surrender his dog to the other shelters?

Truckee River Labs said...

I didn't look at the NRS but it's not listed in WC 55 that ac has to do the euth, at least not that I can find. I do believe that NHS was to take all owner surrenders and that should be their job. I took a run out to the shelter, I ahve never seen so damn many cats in my life. Nobody thinks thats a hoarding issue ? Also all the dogs are pitbulls, so that is what will be coming into the neighborhoods. They had two dogs labeled as Lab, they were mostly pit and I told them so, they said I had a common mispercetion. I told them, no, I had 2 registered labs.

Anonymous said...

I sent Oreo a press release from our area. Now the SHS says they need more money to do the county contract, surprise. Your shelter is insane and cruel to deny owner requested death. These animals will suffer, because if someone had the money to go to their own ver, they would never take their pet to the pound, what a horrible thing to do to innocent aniamls. We did avoid the lable up here but we still have the crazies going for the money.

Happy Camper said...

We read the story on the big switch in animal services up your way. Absolutely shameful to be candid. Oreo is up to her eyeballs in animal stuff that can go awry down here. We do know they want to change state law and strip us of the right to protect our animals from the emotional cripples that will overstep all common sense.

volunteer said...

I would like to have known the day it was going to be clean over there, I may have taken pictures. The ac side is always clean, not the other side, and let me tell you, we are full at our place. Shel went looking for a dry spot to take our guys and ended up over by the Link park. Not dry there either. So he cruised the shelter and as always came away upset.There are several old dogs there.

Cole David said...

Of the 27 dogs up for adoption at the animal control, 25 were pitbulls. The humane society should take some of those and give them a chance. I have seen the same pitbulls over there for months, so time to give another pit an opportunity. The humane society keeps one pitbull forever and lets the others get put down for lack of exposure. I saw the aussie mix in the pound. that's the one I looked at before we got Mate, but he had an hold, now it's back to the pound. Wonder what gives ?

Jeannie said...

To the reader about the pits at the pound, that has been that way forever. We got Dozer and Digger almost 2 years ago and it was all pits then. I noticed the majority were not neutered. I don't trust any one on Longley to tell the truth about the animals.

Anonymous said...

In reading the PSA provided via PRR it would appear the reason there is not a mandate for AC to take in owner surrenders for pts is because NHS had agreed to take all owner surrenders. Good Lord, this looks like the Reader's Digest. That's German for funny.

Happy Camper said...

That is to funny Greta, the rain down there must have opened your keen sense of humor even more so. What you brought up is the way I see it, but clearly things have changed, and not for the good of the animals or the county. There should not be an issue with who puts the animals down, because NHS should take ALL owner surrendered animals.

volunteer said...

FYI. One commissioner told Shel the county had to take in owner surrenders, that is was a public mandate. I don't know who that was, but they have not done their homework. There may be a mandate somewhere, but when the county contracts it out, which they can do that portion, by law; the mandate falls to the contracting agency. The BCC needs to get a clue.

ExPetCop said...

I think that NHS is trying to dump as much work fiscally on the county that it can. I believe this goes beyond merely wanting to alleviate NHS emotionally from PTS. When costs begin to rise for the county, NHS will have the answer that will include privatizing AC.

Happy Camper said...

Please check the latest "animal Files" in the RGJ the title is " Help I've. found a stray" NHS is speaking for AC

Compassion First said...

There are several senior dogs at the pound, to old to have run away from home. The same old pits have been thee for a few weeks, it's unfair to the pits and the staff to keep holding these animals who are brought in to be put down by the owners. Isn't this a property rights issue. Who knows better than the owner when the dog needs to be put to sleep?

Anonymous said...

Where would the mandate be ? There is not a law in our jurisdiction for humane euthanasia, it's just a common sense thing. If the animal is turned away and the owner won't or cannot take care of it, the animal is often abandoned.
Abandoning an animal is a crime.