
There is a changing of terms and a new form of calculating who died from what, but pretty much the same old numbers. In May, perhaps in anticipation of going " No Kill" time & space were removed from the stats as a cause of death on one set of figures, but left on another. Under Reasons for Euthanasia there is a time and space number. Skip over to Intake and Release stats and it's broken down into 3 categories; there are bite dogs, owner requested euth's and 18 unclaimed dogs and 50 unclaimed cats. Is that a polite implication of Time & Space euthanasia ? In April there was a long list of reasons replete with animal id numbers, another tidbit that Chameleon could give out if not supervised. I am not sure those were supposed to be shared with me, but they sure as hell are on the server...The question remains of how the stats are being read and put forth as an accurate reflection of life on Longley. I won't post the stats because they carry a disclaimer on the bottom and say clearly not to be decimated to the public and I don't want to fall into any legal cracks here. Got some emails about what a pain this private thing is. Yep, we are all on the same page. I got a hit from Wino country, and none of our regulars were traveling there and the reader gave hearty scrutiny to 8 pages before resting their weary eyes. It was interesting because it was a direct link, not a search. That must have come from one of Bonney's earlier fishing trips. We stay on topic here and don't do what any reasonable person would consider slander, but we're not dealing with reasonable here. I was not so naive as to think they would go quietly into the night. We are their last hope, Washoe County, last of the golden opportunities to take a good shelter down. It sucks to be the only lifeboat left.
Today was spent comparing last year's numbers under Cindy, with 2009 under Mitch. The only difference is the coding, the rescues are backing off and local sources say the shelters are not embracing them. Not sure what is meant by embracing..... Pet Network and WARF haven't taken dogs to speak of for a couple of months, but they get advertising on the County page.
Pictured is Burley Dog and Miss Priss, sleeping in a puddle is their favorite style....

9 comments:
The numbers would be interesting if Oreo could find a way to put them up out of context of a stat sheet. My guess is there will be a spike in numbers followed by a spate of euthanasia.
Lady and I are spending the 4th at home, it's a favored holiday for me. I think immigrants are equally as patriotic as naturals. We want to keep it quiet & away from fireworks for her first season here, so a BBQ in the back with a few friends.
I am aggravated that the good people are driven underground by the malcontents, but feel it's a good idea for a while. They are not a rational group.
Thank's for remembering me. Wish everone an enjoyable weekend. We are going to Tahoe and get out of town for a few days. Our dogs are looking forward to the cooler temps. I know Greta lives out of town, but if you go to the shelter the numbers are pretty plain. They are crowded and it's got to get better. On that sour note, Happy 4th of July !
Why are rescues backing off ? I hope it's because the shelters are doing some homechecks, there are to many bad rescues going on. I'm a rescue and I welcome yearly or even closer checks. Foster familes and rescue groups are under regulated for the responsibility they carry. The last 3 German
Shepherd bitches I looked at in Seattle were unstable, two of them repeat biters. Check fencing, and permissions from landlords etc.
Dammit, I hate when you go underground. There must be some way to block unwanted viewers. I've heard the rescue rumors, and I think it's something to do with NHS policy. They want to put their nose into everything, and if you take from the county you have to go through them and then they try to push another cat off on you. Thats why I got away from SPCA, separate from NHS it was good, but nobody can deal with Bonney.
Happy fourth of July ! I spent the morning pitting cherries and a cobbler just came out of the oven. Way to go on the Fourth ! I am thinking we may be over the hurdle here, never complacent, but feel like Brown doesn't want to give up a cush $85,000 job in this economy for NW, just a thought... It will be interesting to see if he begins the attack on her as he has in other places, or if they join ranks and try the " committee takeover" policy like King County. So far so good on that, but we shall see.
Checked out Mark's blog. BB has a new press release desperate house cats, $9.99 dogs $39.99. I know they are loaded but come on. The feeling I get these days is " does anybody really care or read Mark any more". I see Yo yo tango and Robin from the old canine club. Who took her dogs by the way ? Seldom see a real person on there who isn't selling some service. Back to work, checking out the SPCA on lunch to see if they took anymore dogs or placed any. I took Lucy2 in last week and they loved her, Riley having come from a shelter doesn't want to visit one.
I'm glad you finally invited me. This was expected, they will be looking for anywhere to hang the blame for their failure. While waitng for Oreo to catch her mistake checked the " consultant. It is very subdued over there and they seem to be targeting the midwest. It feels like it's over for us, nothing on the RGJ. I hope every single day it is really over. It is brand recognition for Winograd and if he can't claim NO KILL on the logo he doesn't really give a damn about how many animals live or die. I would like to see the stats, but understand the line at the bottom. That attitude is very telling on the transparency of how the shelter is being run. I don't think Winograd is laying low, because I don't think he has the patience to lay low. I'm not even seeing his normal attack mode. That could be attributed to Bonney still needing a job. Keep your head up Oreo.
All the dogs are pit or pit mix. Of course they are staying longer in the shelter. I wonder what the return rate is. We took a ride over on the 4 th and caught the action. I wouldn't say the place was ripping with adopters.
One pushy volunteer kept showing us the pitbulls ignoring the fact that we told her we owned 2 already. She informed us the limit was three and suggested fostering since we had experience.
I felt sorry for all the cats stacked everywhere in cages. The dogs were overwhelming. Gate after gate of pitties, some looked like Dozer, more like Digger, they all looked manic. I would like to get the stats for the humane society if you know how.
Steve, not getting better. I may request the stats myself. It makes sense that they would go on the website and it wouldn't take any county time to process them for a public who cares about the animals. I haven't seen anything about the software deal on here; is that resolved ?
Post a Comment