Both the Obama family and the Bo dog have a new home, can we simply go forward and let them enjoy it? Even Wayne's blog, which is usually one of Oreo's favorites, got stupid. It is none of our business where anybody gets their family pet. None, Nada.....There is a major difference between supporting a shelter animals right to life and taking away the right to choose who you share your home with. This righteous indignation is a real turn off to many who had been open minded before. Taking a shelter animal into your home should be a consideration, and I think many people view it as that, an option, not an obligation. Our family went to all the shelters in our area for several weeks before going to a breeder. There were no puppies and having the resident dog limited our choices. There must be a responsibily to the dog in the home. We have gone a little overboard on the " rightist regime" and lost sight of the mission, which was to help the animals. The cross breed in the shelter does not have more value or entitlement than the dog coming from a breeder, they are both dogs... and the people who take them need to be allowed to make informed, inteligent decisions that work with their lifestyle. So please, butt out if you are the animal lover you seem to be Wayne, you are to big a fish to mess with such small ideas. Our failure to be realistic in our adoption expectations is the reason for overcrowding in shelters right now. There is not a home for every dog, not close, and the fosters are filling up. I blame the current fanaticism for a tremendous amount of suffering.Here in Washoe County, we have the lunatics taking over the asylum, if only they could figure out how to turn the key. God knows, upper County management has certainly given it to them. In spite of an interlocal agreement which says local governments must be notified of changes in County AC code, they have a draft waiting in the wings... nobody has contacted the other cities. I don't think they are reading the agreement over there. The only person who could find her butt with both hands is gone.
King County Washington gave him the boot, Austin Texas sent him packing, Houston doesn't want to deal with him, even Florida with all the retired poodle lovers selected NACA as their consultant. The only gullible fools seem to be here, Washoe County, Nevada. Two cities repealed all of their animal codes and agreed not to do any enforcement on animal issues, we didn't know we were dealing with an unstable entity at the time. Help !!
Burley Dog is very serious about this stuff....

16 comments:
I think the problem is with the hypocrisy of Obama making a hugh deal out of promising to get a dog from a shelter and then not doing so.
I agree that it is a personal choice where you get any animal from.
Per the scuttlebutt over the 'net, Bo was bought from and returned to the Texas breeder. Apparently he didn't get along with the 1st owner's other PWD. Then, Ted Kennedy bought the dog to give to the Obama family since he has bought 3 other PWD from this breeder for himself. (I remember seeing 1 or 2 of the dogs on TV when he was released from the hospital) If I understood things correctly, VP Joe Biden bought his Golden Retriever puppy from the same breeder.
This sounds a smidge like a puppy mill...just saying..
Be safe out there,
Sgt. Doggett
Oreo never watches television, so we missed the hoopla, however I have heard from readers that what you write is true. The only thing I can think of is, maybe he meant it, got a look at the stock and changed gears....What we have here is about 96% pit mix with a couple of roach backed doxie's; not sure that would work as a first dog experience. Saying that, Portuguese Water Dogs are handful, and should come in pairs, like Newfies..and they are a little woolie for a newbie dog owner.
As the blog knows, Miss Priss
( who is marked like Bo ) is a re-home and she came with baggage, I am only curious about the hypo-allergenic part because there is a relation between PWD and Newfs. My guys are not what you would be looking for if you had asthma or allergies. I mean, they exude dander. I have no troubles and sometimes they make my eyes water.
I knew the Kennedy clan had Newfies, did not know about the PWD interest. Some folks call them Mini- Newfs. I have friends with one and it's sure an exited dog, way to much energy for me, but it may not be the norm. Newf's are just nuts til about 18 month,s and of course any breed is full of heck at the puppy stage.
I have a natural suspicion of any breeder of multiples, and some single breeds to be honest. Both are water dogs, and maybe the guy is legit, lots of water hunting in Texas, but still the base seems a bit broad to me. Thanks for the info...
How safe can you be when the troll's in town and you're the one dressed in a target.
He did say on several occasions they were getting a shelter dog. However, that could have been the voice of ignorant bliss. The "first dog" can't go around with a attitude, & the Whitehouse is not the place to experiment with an unknown disposition. My only issue is, he should have said they were getting something with a history, and not nodded to the shelters. I think he just spoke to soon before he knew anything about any dog breeds. I personally don't think a shelter dog is a good idea for a home with that many variables, living in the public eye is hard on any dog and most shelter dogs need more work than an unskilled owner could offer. I can picture Pixie in the Whitehouse piddling away.
Further scuttlebutt says that the day the Obamas brought the dog home, there were 7 PWD easily found on PetFinder or the other shelter listing site (can't remember the name right now). I don't know if that is correct or not; however, there must also be PWD rescues located inside the US.
It is my understanding that Bo the dog spent the last 30 days with a "trainer" picked by Kennedy, yet the dog was dragging the family around by the leash--probably because no one trained them how to properly handle the dog. The Obamas or staff also mentioned to the media or through a press release that the dog will be kenneled on the White House grounds and will not be a house dog.
Just as a side note, Buddy the Clinton's Choco Lab was hit by a car and killed shortly after leaving the White House. Socks the cat was given to one of the Clinton secretaries when the family left the White House. Apparently the Clinton's aren't cat people. Barney and Ms. Beasley are both house dogs and retired from public life with Bushes. They split their time between Dallas and Crawford.
I hope Oreo is careful and keeping a low profile while the love fest is going on.
Sgt. Doggett
If Oreo stays to low, she loses her purpose, but we don't want to get bumped out of commission, thats for sure.
I did notice the happy pulling puppy and thought the trainer had better get to work with the people. Might have been a cookie tosser who knows ? But if it were a real trainer, & the dog got a stiff jerk to attention, the hue and cry from the Lorayns of the world would be deafening.
I have never heard the Obama's had a choice ? The dog was a gift, and I think the country was out of line when we jumped into bed with the kids and started screaming " get a dog " as foreign as it seems to me; not everybody wants a dog. An interesting aside. My good friend, who really hates Obama, said " great now we will have a dog wetting on priceless oriental carpets and chewing antiques, the dog should be kept out side" and this morning you say " it will be a kennel dog"
I don't believe in keeping a dog in a kennel, I guess to a degree the Whitehouse is a "rental" and as such there may be rules I'm not privvy to. My understanding was that all personal pets were to be kept in the private family quarters unless supervised by the family or a nanny. But I do wish if they had kennel thoughts on their mind, they would have declined the screams of the public to " get a dog"
Anywhoooo addressing all the PWD's out there in shelter... couple of thoughts. Going back to an earlier missive, perhaps they felt a shelter dog would require more training or carry more liability than they realized, and does the Presidient have an obligation to spend time shelter hopping and don't you feel that would have brought yet more criticism from the non- dog people?
I thought for a 6 month old pup, the little guy actually did pretty well, he was surround by cameras, mic's jammed in his face a crowd of yelling paprazzi and somewhere in the background a helicopter...And has probably ended up in a situation where they don't have time for a dog.
You and I know better than to believe all the PWD in shelter stories.. 90% of the time it is a mix with who knows what, or has a serious health issue and was dumped by a breeder. There were supposedly 7 in the Country ? We are going to fly around in Air Force one intviewing shelter dogs ? That would have been a real screamer. Sorry but the public should have butted out month's ago on this one. I don't think the adults wanted the dog and the kids took advantage of the public eye to get one. Don't like to think about the dog being kenneled though....
Amen, to the lunatics comment Oreo. It's like the edges have been sealed on Longley. Spoke with a current employee after reading NW's current post, they are trying to slide the code changes through unnoticed by Sparks or Reno. I am sure they are cooking up the poison brew daily, but heard there was a draft in the 9th street bldg.
A shelter dog would have been a nice statement; but I hadn't considered the details. I liked the Air Force 1 idea. Wouldn't that have drawn the screams. I was never comfortable with the idea of getting a dog you really didn't want. It doesn't matter if the kids wanted it or not, the newness wears off and the dog is emotionally abandoned. I think it will be raised by a caregiver and maybe even given to the caregiver when they leave the Whitehouse, but who knows ? They may get attached to it and it will work for them, but I doubt it. I don't mean to be the Grinch, but a dog is a lifetime commitment and getting one that everybody isn't in agreement on is wrong.
Honestly, Sgt. Doggett doesn't care if the Obamas have a dog or where it is kept.
I doubt the dog will be left alone for any significant time periods. The administration will provide a staff caretaker.
I'm sure the little girls did want a dog, and I'm happy they got one as well as happy for the dog that it has a home.
The Bush and Clinton dogs were all bought from breeders, too.
The President cannot legally accept gifts and was informed so by those in his administration. He has to pay Kennedy for the dog and supposedly has. The Obamas chose a PWD based on the recommendations from Kennedy who then just happen to find that his breeder had one that fit the bill.
Duh, How did Oreo forget the "gift rule ?" Blogger was onery about letting me sign in so I hope I haven't doubled any posts... every so often it gets obstinate. It's such a good service though and the price is reasonable. to our Austin Readers.......don't relax down there, Wino can and has done a double back. He is hungry and hungry people are apt to be more persistent.
To Old School, would that be the legal dept ?
I'm with Sgt Dogit on the be careful thing Oreo. My husband follows the blog and he feels that Oreo is related to the trainer in the early days of Digger and Dozer. We don't forget the woman in the long skirts with the big hats teaching two rowdy pits how to behave. That was special & from time to time I think her and Oreo are related. That came to me as I watched the woman in front of me on the bike trail being drug along by her dog. And the PWD dragging the President, been there, done that.
I am coming up for air. Nice to see Steve on here, it is Pixie's Steve ? I don't like Obama so, much like Sgt Doggett the dog situation in off my screen. I am concerned about changes in code however and so should Oreo be. Nathan is waving his banner down here again and I hope to hell someone else gets him. Surely the shelter could not be duped twice by the same snake oil salesman.
Are there any hints to the changes being made ? Definations of dangerous, or diseased are vulnerable and need to be stopped in their tracks. The loosers the standards for what is adoptable, the more they can hoard and dump on the public. Let them die on the street and not on their ledger. Get a copy of any changes and post them if you can.
I have returned, been extremely busy lately, but spouse has been keeping tabs on things for me. Has anybody else on the blog gone to AC lately ? It's changed already. Not what you would called super clean like it has been kept before. Something is very differnt, but I can't pin it down. It feels different, the runs aren't filthy, but not clean either. I will take volunteer next time and get her opinion. I was in the area for work and went through on my lunch break. Hundreds of pitbulls, man, pits and cats everywhere. Hundreds of cats. What the hell happened to AC besides a change in management ?
The other side always looks dirty and crowded, but this is the first time I have seen the whole building on the slide. I think the Obama's should have got a Newf ha! ha! We took Riley and Lucy2 over to Idlewild and let them play in the river, people could not believe Lucy2 is a re-homed dog. Thank God for breeders who keep their puppies out of the system, and I don't feel guilty about not having got from the shelter because we looked for 3 months. But, seeing those poor dogs today with the pens dirty made me sad & mad.
The whole Obama thing got out of hand, he got a dog and every rescue in the country went berserk. I care more about getting the shelters in line with reality and less on the the nuts side. we have far to many animals in shelters, but pretending like all of them are headed for the
" forever home" is idiotic. We went to AC today looking for Mate's new best friend, I won't go on the other side, to depressing, all AC had were pitbulls. Look on Petharbor. A couple of smaller types, but nothing to choose from really. I say we should let some light on the dog breed situation. I may have reported on the blog we had found one for him to play with, but it didn't work out. Sometimes things look good for a couple of weeks and then they aren't.
When will the blog know anything about the draft ? I haven't gone to the shelter, I don't want to see what I can't change. That is selfish, time for me to grow up and go. I have talked with friends from the county and they say another 120 are going to get the ax, I certainly hope they understand that AC is a health and welfare issue. I cannot nominate one piece of dead wood that should have been gone a long time ago.
I wasn't going to join the fracas, but here I am. Let the dog and the President rest Oreo. I want to know about the changes in your animal control contract. You do know there is the talk of consolidated services up here. They want to gut the county code to open the doors for total no kill. I am assuming that since there is a "draft", one it's not online and two,not subject to public records. I have not seen his assessment of your shelter being bandied about like King County's was, so he is clearly keeping a low profile. Is that the result of Oreo's monitoring of things ? If so, keep it up. we all saw what happened to Catmom and what a loss she was.
Back on track gentle readers, a new post coming soon. My data entry clerk keeps thinking something will break on the draft issue and would like to be able to report the latest. Failing that, I may have her write some flowery thing, just to move it forward.
Post a Comment