Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Miss Priss Speaks Her Mind


There is a general feeling among those in the know, that NHS has not been very successful in fulfilling the services it agreed to at the time of the consolidation. And that pertains to me how ??
As a citizen of Washoe County I have certain rights, basic doggie rights, like to be safe in my own yard. To walk on leash next to my owner without fear of aggressive unrestrained dogs attacking me, & to assume that the animals I meet in my daily life are relatively disease and parasite free. I want to know that the policy of Washoe County, which authorizes the enforcement of all NRS and county Code 55 is following due diligence. I have very real concerns about how far we can back up for NHS and maintain a safe environment for me and my human companion . When NHS refuses to do owner surrender Euthanasia that puts the burden on the county, that takes staff time and space, throwing away the Wildlife Rehab program is putting the burden on the County. If NHS took these animals their Euth rates would go way up, because most pigeons and squirrels are not reclaimed by their owners......We have County employees doing this on the taxpayer dollar because it cuts into the profits and kill rates of a private corporation NHS. The feral cat program in fact, conflicts with the law in several areas. Animal abandonment, limits, general care and oversight of domestic animals. Looking into the " colony rooms" how about " floor space" how about following any of the sections of 574 written into the Nevada Revised Statutes. Since February of 2006 there has been a steady decline in the quality of life for animals surrendered on Longley Ln. More is not always better and if the NHS takes the swan dive all of us who know animal sheltering predict...does the county get it's money back ?? Who will pay for the care of surrendered animals when NHS blows through it's endowment ?
Priss is absolutely driven to know....

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think NHS will fold, I think the county will bail it out and cover their bad decision. they can't admit this one. Of course Reno and Sparks will not be liable financially, but the services in their areas will be impacted. I remain curious about the money end of this deal, if there is any left since the current CEO changed policy at NHS. According to her public statements each animal costs close to $300 to prepare for adoption. The fee is about $50 bucks on a good day, usually less, so if they are losing $200 per animal, times how many ? Can't get by without county money coming in. I am told they had investments when they moved in, but the market is hardly looking up for that. The citizens will eat this one.

Anonymous said...

Can't you bring to the attention of your leaders that the last three governments Winograd had approached have turned him away ?
Priss looks very determined in her picture, the sincerity in her face should sway the hardest idiots. I am now using idiots, because they have to know better, yet they continue forward. Our shelter just declined money from Maddie's Fund, that's a first for them I think. To many strings. There has to be some freedom to make the right choices for your region.

Anonymous said...

What would happen to the animals, and how will anybody know the statistics are accurate ? My friend still volunteers there ocasionally and tells me they are short staffed, mostly volunteers who are not trained very well. . She only goes about once a month, and the only "regulars" are the newbies for a while. burnout is a big factor in those condidtions.

Anonymous said...

I was in Reno over the weekend on business. Wish we had set up a park meeting. I lost Pixie this past Thursday. She went to sleep and didn't wake up. I saw no reason to search further, the cancer was entenched and I'm certain it was internal bleeding & she slipped from conciousness. I could have used a dog to hug though. I've had her cremated and if Steve wants the ashes for his Mother he may have them. I never take the body, but I did order her ashes to come back to me.
I walked through the shelter, just to feel the dogs near me. It's a sad place, I should have not gone.

volunteer no more said...

I'm sorry about Pixie. You gave her a good life and Steve did the right thing to try and place her himself. He doesn't come on here anymore but he works with Shel. I'll make sure he gets the news.
Has anybody written Oreo about the felv cat advertised in the paper from NHS ? Is there a law against that ? There ought to be. I also agree that wildlife doesn't come with funding and won't usually be adopted out. That takes care of any incentives for NHS to honor the agreement. It's almost worth volunteering again just to watch the mayhem, if it weren't so heartbreaking. There are huge numbers of animals at SPCA compared to what we used to run, way more dogs and cats. I pray it doesn't run into the ground. you know I don't think I ever heard about floor space requirements. Is it enforced ?

Steve said...

Shel gave me the news, Thank you Greta for taking Pixie and I know my Mom appreciated it. She doesn't want the ashes, not good in a nursing home. Again thanks to Oreo and all the people on the blog for stepping up to the plate.

Happy Camper said...

Thanks for letting us know about the puppy . As it's been mentioned, she had a happy ending.
I fear I am in agreement with old shcool, the county will have to do a bailout. There is no appetite with Dan at the helm to creat the NHS that we signed the contract with. I have heard Jean's remarks from others, but who will come forward ? What active volunteer that they have to give credence to , will come forward ? Now the big 3 are doing the Super Adoption crap again, this time in a parking lot in south Reno. Is there no end to trashy promotions ? The parking lot with a tent, bet those are some real fine decisions being made that day....See finger in throat !

volunteer no more said...

Any volunteer who comes forward will be through here and they know it. Nobody trusts the county to take an action. This has been brought before the Commission for over a year and nothing has been done. The feeling among the volunteers is, they will tip their hand and the county will drop the ball. I though Tom Jacobs would not be a suck up, but I was wrong. I think we are not seeing any funding so they are trying to look like a big group to get Maddies again.

volunteer no more said...

I believe we can increase the number of permanent placements doing the things that work in our community. Nobody wants to kill animals but until the decision of who stays and who goes falls on your shoulders, don't judge. NHS has drug the SPCA into their mess and now people are turning against the SPCA. I had met Becky on a few occasions and hoped for better from her. She is now part of the system that is propping up NHS by taking their overflow. I guess if the other shelters didn't take from the NHS they couldn't stay open at all. They would be drowning in animals. How would they meet the county agreement for owner surrenders if they were not being bailed out ?

Anonymous said...

From ExPetCop,

The charter for the SPCA as given to the City of Reno clearly states that the SPCA is a 2nd chance no kill shelter that will only take animals for adoption from the municipal pound.

I would suggest that the SPCA has inserted itself into NHS, not the other way around. Tom Jacobs has been associated the NHS for many, many years. He was the business partner of Steve Ricker (the NHS fundraiser). Their business RJ Productions produced the shelter telethons both in Reno and around the country.

The board of directors at the SPCA were hand picked by Steve Ricker. He has lived in this community his entire life and is a graduate of Reno High and UNR.

Anonymous said...

Thanks EPC. I will go online and see if I can find that to post. Do you suppose somehow Tom filed for a new one when he took over. As I read Volunteer's comment you are saying the say thing, that SPCA approached NHS. At least that is the way it looks to me, but what do I know. I know SPCA got 5 million and NHS got the building, so would the two conspire to rule the No Kill Kingdom.. wouldn't shock me at all. Off to do a search, if you have a lik could you send it to us for posting. Oreo would appreciate that. The sly old girl.

Happy Camper said...

http://www.afprenosparks.org/Documents/SPCAofNN_ED_092007.pdf
This is the link to the only thing I could document, it is a job description for the ED position and has a short mission statement .
the state ment uses " at Risk" animals. also they have a Maddies Fund person on staff which I found interesting. Go to the site and click on everything...

Jeannie said...

It would seem to me that " at risk" and pound puppies are the same, since a no kill shelter clients are not " at risk". Could the SPCA have changed the wording to manipulate the sysytem? Checking the address you provided Oreo, I did see the full time Maddies Fund staff member and a much higher number of aniamls. Web pages are often full of misinformation, but this one seems accurate.

Compassion First said...

I ran a search engine, did not find a charter. I found what you had posted here. Is it normal to have a Maddies Fund person on staff?
I am following the bills through Carson City, the animal rightist are on a roll, and we need to keep an eye on the county code. There is a County code change pending on breeder requirement, I will see if I can get it to copy/paste. I haven't gone back to NHS since we got Lucy2, but friends say there are so many cats it is unbelieveable. Doesn't show that way on Petfinder. who knows ?