Oreo received an email today that really got her ears up. Seems a person was complaining about a deal gone sour with an adoption. when the adopters vet said the dog was really to sick to be adopted out, the releasing agency went off on her and the vet.Seems like they want to have no negative publicity, especially if it is deserved........ The man is working with the vet to gain proof this was not a condition that could have gone undetected with even the most cursory exam.
Oreo is back writing to the commission and with Cindy gone it is imperative that we get their attention. NHS has refused to do any Wildlife rehab, and now they have the County Killing the owner surrenders NHS should be taking. An Owner requested Euthanasia is an owner surrender, they signed a contract to take all owner surrenders, so we need the department head to hold them to the agreement. For a time NHS was sending the dogs to Shakespeare for killing, but now they are sending the people down the hall to the pound, how friggin cruel is that ? Picture taking your dog in to be put to sleep and having to drag the poor beast further down the way. An absolute abandonment of their responsibilities. Hateful people, sign and reneg......
Pictured is Bodie, he was rescued from a horrible puppy mill and is living the good life.....

11 comments:
The couple returned the dog to the agency. It really broke their heart, but they felt perhaps with some light on it, the shelter would take care of the health issues. Their vet said they should not have the burden of long term painful care on their shoulders. Why are people getting dogs that are not sound without being told before the adoption ?
I hope I have this right. New stuff to me. My first gripe is people who bring a sick dog into a shelter expecting the shelter to fix it. You have to be brain dead to think anybody else is going to care more for your pet than you did. Shelters are full of sick lame pets. Most shelters do not give real medical treatment for chronic illnesses, they do pray for a quick adoption. Having done GSD rescue for over 20 years I know there are many healthy dogs, and they get taken fairly quickly if they are sound and purebred. When you see the same dog at the shelter for extended periods of time, get a written agreement for extended medical. I'm sorry, but with the increase of the no kill mentality we are seeing sicker and meaner dogs that will never find a permanent home and they suffer at the hands of this group.
Is that you kcsharon ? I don't want anyone to think you are that hateful blog up your way....Can you add something to your handle ? if not, thats okay, but you sure don't want to be confused with the jerk exposed bunch
Yes I am kc sharon, the deal wouldn't give it to me. I don't want to be associated with the nasty people, but I do volunteer at the Kent shelter with the GSD rescue from time to time.
I feel strongly that there will be more sick animals as people get behind on all their bills, and since the thought process is, someone somewhere wants my sick dog; the shelter is the next stop.
My vet went from payment at time of service which is good policy to you must pay for medications before they are ordered. The shakey economy spreads outward. I do feel sorry for the people who plain just don't have the money, and the retention service is a disaster.
We live in a free country but the freedom of speech issue sure gets a lot of abuse. The no kill nuts can say what they want and never be called to the table by the government and if the opposition says anything they get sued.
I feel so bad for the couple that had to return the dog, and I hope they look on Pet Finder to see if it is readopted in the same condition.
The whole structure at NHS has changed, I walk right through there and nobody even recognizes me. It's a guarantee you don't see Bonney or Denise on the floor or in the pod area. Diane does walk through, but is careful to avoid eye with any client who might want to ask her a question.
I am wavering between sadness and frustration that Cindy is gone. Part of me is thinking how dare she leave, the other is saying how did she put up with it so long? Are you continuing the fight Oreo ? It woudl be awful to lose both of you.
Nobody wants to see any shelter fail, and yet, one can only hope this failed policy comes to light soon for the sake of the animals. Oreo, doesn't care for hearsay or things that come anonymously, but the owner did say the dog was back in the public adoption area, but not yet on pet finder. Most of their animals are not on Petfinder...... It seems logical if the dog is in the adoption area it's up for adoption. Now the people are sorry they returned it. Oreo has requested the WCC to direct staff to follow through on this. As our public intake facility it should be transparent..... I have noticed other Humane Society board members don't hide...
Do any commish types ever visit NHS ? What do they think is normal or not so normal ? If you go clear back into the back, where they don't encourage you to look, you can see some dogs that are not having a good time.
We are still considering a friend for Mate, aussies are rowdy so we need a friend that can take a hit and not get po'd. He isn't agressive, but he rams things. I was thinking about a rescue or shelter dog, but the idea of bringing in an animal that would be nice for a couple of weeks and then turn is putting that to the side of our minds. I would be curious to see how it is going for Sheldon with his Newfie rescue. That was an adult dog wasn't it ? The way they described Riley sounds like Mate. But can Riley get really pushy ? Mate does. The dog parks are out of the question since they have become home to groups of unrelated dogs. Dog parks were originally for owners to bring their pets, how can we get that back, and yes I am talking about groups of pitbulls, I haven't seen any groups of Collie's or Schnauzers. Never had a pack of Beagles come bearing down on me. It seems the best play mate is another dog of his own.
Mr. Winograd makes a speech, and then writes about what he said. as if one round of blathering weren't enough. I am not happy to have him in our area, and to have him address any shelter withing 50 miles of the bay area is disconcerting.
I have been quiet, Pixie is not well. That is the part of taking in older dogs that is hard to live with. If you are still here Steve, I won't let her suffer, but for now we are watching and waiting to see if she reacts to a course of medication. If the kidney function doesn't improve we will be forced to let her go. I shall keeep the blog aprised. Keep an eye on conditions at the AC portion of your shelter, I am hearing lots of rumors on the planned aquisition via contract.
We have had three sick dogs brought in so far this month. all the same thing, no money. If you would see the desperation on the faces of the owners it would soften your opinion. They have no money and they are sure someone else must. Many people get impulse animals and toss them when the expense hits, but we are seeing pets that the people have had for 4or 5 years. Nobody could have anticipated what is going on in the economy right now.
We got a sweet 5 year old Beagle with early cancer, very treatable if you have $1,500 dollars. I don't don't have a call list for that type of adopter. The people had been renters who lost the home when it was repossessed from the investor. These top heavy investers are just letting them go. The owners vet made no offer for credit, I can see that would be difficult too; and the people are living in their minivan with a three year old. We're breaking our own rule and holding the dog one month for them with the understanding if someone comes in and wants to adopt and will provide proof of vet care, the dog goes to a new home. We did find a vet who will do a minimum charge if we get an adopter. Best we can do.
Hi Butters, it's me volunteer, I am on Shel's account. I am so sorry that you are caught up in the sick dog situation. I haven't asked any of my friends that are still active, but I do see animals that are not well when I go to the shelter. As you know Shel and I lost Lucy a few months ago, and have since adopted Lucy2. She is a keeper and I don't want 3 dogs, but I might consider helping with vet bills. Are you within one hundred miles of Reno ? We could drive over and see if she could stay with us til she heals. Let Oreo know and she can contact us. In Lucy's memory.
How does Oreo put it ? The rats are eating one another's tales ? there was a letter to the editor from Robin Baizel former owner of the Doggie Day Care on Hymer. She was very critical of BB's dog training tips. Now that her business is no longer dependent on the good will of NHS perhaps she will more of a help to the animals in the community. I wonder if she had to take her fosters back there. Not trying to be mean, but what is she to do with a Gabbs dog ? Maybe Mark will take it.
Post a Comment