Our neighbors adopted this handsome boy, and since they have previous Pitbull expertise our hopes are high. The number of pits at the shelter right now is approaching 70% according to this new owner. As I checked Pet harbor looking at the impound side , two lactating Mama dogs caught my eye. Someone just pulled the pups off these two girls, kept the babes and ditched Mom. That is why I support mandatory spay for any impound that is released. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but Oreo's feeling a bit harsh right now. Those two girls (131419 & 132210 ), teats sagging in the pound, no longer of use, they didn't stray off and leave a litter, the owners ditched these poor creatures. Did they try to take the Mama dogs to NHS or the SPCA or did they become a part of the new culture of turning your own dog in as a stray ? Is this happening as a result of the retention policy in no kill shelters ? Again for posterity people, lactating bitches don't wander off from the litter... Why are these dogs on the stray side, and why are owner requested euthanasia numbers up on the county side. Why are dogs that can't walk coming in as strays ? Lots of questions, anybody got an answer ? Update, did contact the impound desk to check on these girls, one had an owner who declined to pick her up, the other was picked up as a stray also, but no owner. One more time for the road, lactating bitches do not willingly leave a litter ; so in both dogs case, the owner dumped them rather than turn them in....Nice move slimeball !!

13 comments:
In all breeds people sometimes keep a puppy and get rid of Mom, but it does seem more common in Pitbulls. Maybe it's the sheer numbers of the dogs of that breed that make it more apparent. I know that many of the 5 or 6 year olds that I rescue are brood bitches that no longer produce. You can tell by the droop of the teats or the abdominal stretching. Heartbreaking to live that life and end up in a shelter. Stupid, stupid people. It would be great to tax them out of business, along with the pet stores that feed the problem.
Until we deal with the backyard breeders, the pit bull issue will get worse.
These backyard breeders don't have to get licensed, there is zero regulation, and out they keep pouring
One problem is that too many of these no kills are adopting out dogs with aggression and dog aggression just to keep the euthanasia numbers low on paper, and the dogs end up biting then getting abandoned.
Wasn't Pacca handing out unneutered pit bulls to who knows what?
70% Pit's huh ? That will happen with no kill, they come in faster than you can place them, & adopting is about placing the animals you can. The rumor is NHS is refusing to do owner surrender euthanasia which is forcing the county to do them, that would acount for the higher ore numbers on the county side.
We do our own here, it's the only honest way to call your self no kill is to do the dirty deed yourself. No agency should release an aggressive dog and they should be honest about putting them to sleep. I will ask your animal control agency if they can confirm the rumor. An NHS volunteer was bragging to the blog guy and he ran his mouth. Thank God for bragging people, they always shoot themselves in the toe.
Some slimeballs do bring them in, hoping for $25.00 we won't think they are slimeballs. I saw Oreo on the HSUS flicker site. She spoke out against puppymill conditions.
I suspect the dogs you mentioned were dumped because the litter was small and that means they are near the end of the profit margin.They don't waste food on a nonproducer.
The sad fact is, there are so many dogs coming to shelters right now. Some like Lucy 2 are foreclosure victims who enjoyed a good life until the family home was gone, and she ended up back at the breeders. Most however have spent their life in the backyard. When they go from the backyard to the shelter it's hard to place them and after a period of time, they are not adoptable. The shelter has to find some way to break the gridlock besides fosters. When volunteer and I were puppy shopping we saw the conditions at many were not good. Cheap wire fencing, not sturdy and dogs piled in like crazy, kennels not cleaned. One out by lake Lahonton was a ghetto. The news flash is, if you can't take care of your own needs, don't feel like you can save every animal. You may be happy living in a camper, but the dogs will suffer, living forever in your pens. I hope for Oreo's sake the new neighbor dog works out, it's a pit mix and looks young. We saw a few hundred of them in our search. Nice dogs in single dog family situations, not good mixers.
Wanted to apologize for the looseness of my phrasing. I didn't mean people who had to give up a pet were slimeballs. And turning the pet into a shelter is better than dumping it, but where we got Lucy 2 she kept her retired dogs in the yard and house. that makes sense to me. They worked for her and she took care of them for life. What happens to these dogs in shelter is my concern. We are keeping them way to long and causing harm. I wanted to mention the strain of the no kill as I see it in Reno. It is putting a burden on the whole community. The standard of release and care are lower and the excess is flooding the area parks and clinics. Buttersmom, how are things where you work ?
immaThat looks like an Akita & Pit mix, both very strong breeds.I would be most curious what the owner was told it was. And more to the point if they were given instructions for handling the dog. Both breeds are extremely intelligent and loyal to a fault with the owner. But, dog aggression is a big trait to watch for. In the Bay Area, the crossing of those two breeds is done to get more size and capitalize on the human dominant characteristics of the Akita.
When we get them in here they are never double kenneled, nor will we place them in a home with children or cats.
Nice to have your post Greta, the new owner was told it was a Border Collie cross, so no he was not prepared for what he got. We had a rough day yesterday, fence fighting and lots of barking, my dogs would not go anywhere near the fence after Oreo put her nose to a knot hole and nearly lost it. we continued thourghout the day to go out back and make noise and get the dog used to us., and when the owner got home had a chat with him. He is wonderful to deal with and eager to do the right thing with and for the dog. So we neighbors on both sides are going to make a point of going out back frequently and talking to him and thus he can learn what is safe and belongs where. The attack through the fence was disconcerting, however, in a couple of more weeks the testosterone levels should drop form the neuther.
To volunteer, we don't have dog parks in our town. But we do have a problem with dogs and cats being dumped. I don't know if it's the donation request $10.00, or they don't want to come in from embarrassment. A little of both most likely
Two month's ago we dropped the surrender counseling, I felt it was part of the dumping problem, and my bosses finally agreed with me. At that same time we started on home checks for every dog over 35 pounds. I actually got the idea from this blog. We step into the back office and google earth the address given to be certain it is real, and if it's a house or an apartment. We got one that came back to an apartment complex, the people had selected a pair of pit mixes. Using my most cheerful voice I told them we couldn't let dogs go to multifamily housing without landlord approval in writing. Guess what ? No pets allowed, they would've been back here in a week.
How is the new neighbor doing ? Has it had a playdate with Oreo yet ? I love the work she does to make new dogs feel at home.
Thanks for the post and some emails asking about our new friend. He is coming into a tough period as he adjusts, starting to feel a bit over confident. His owner is such a good influence that the challenge will pass. People must understand the changing face of shelter dogs, and use due diligence. That is the case here. Bit of an adjustment problem and owner working on it. So I remain optimistic, and continue to feel they will be a great team.
I was going over The Social Lives Of Dogs, by E.M. Thomas. It has been years since I lifted it's cover, but it's pertinent in terms of introducing a new dog to the pack. With todays smaller lots , any new dog is forming a pack with the adjacent dogs. How are they to know the fence will keep them safe, or even that it marks a boundry. A house has walls, but one can get to the next room usually. It must be very confusing for the new dog on the block. Pixie didn't like the neighbor dog when she moved in, she still doesn't trust it. Her years living in quiet with a senior citizen have not prepared her for a busy life, and yet a few months later she is adapting well. Kepp us updated on Ranger and I hope he continues to flourish with his new home.
Thanks for sharing about Pixies transition. I was reading Dodson, Dogs Who Love To Much & took it over to the new owner. I do have the Marshall books and will read them again. . She is very good, a little over the top for me in some areas, but right on in others. I believe her credentials are above standard.
Okay, I get it, Mate is now on a leash. He just got bit by a Golden Retriever. A sporting dog ! I still maintain agressive don't belong off their own property, but Mate was the loose dog. Luck with your new pal Oreo.
Post a Comment